The Orlando Brown Situation

coordinator0

15 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

All I know is Orlando Brown Jr being the key trade needed to obtain one of my two draft crushes of DeVonta Smith or Kyle Pitts sounds like some draft voodoo blood sacrifice type stuff.

You and I both know that if we pick that high in the 1st round we're taking a linebacker from an SEC school. Come on now.

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Miami’s late first rounder and Devante Parker.

It’s settled.

He’s about to be 28, has one 1000 yd season to his name, and has only completed a full 16 games once.

No way am I taking this deal personally.

I’m sure the argument might be he played within an Adam Gase offense, well I doubt playing within a Greg Roman passing attack will suddenly be the difference.

I’d easily take picks instead. No question.

I’ll just be happy once he’s traded and this predicament is behind us. As it stands, I think the reality is probably everyone is underestimating his value, including us. He was voted on as a pro bowl starter. Which means there’s obviously great respect he ushers across the league. Brown Jr has matched up with the likes of TJ Watt and Myles Garrett and lived to tell the story... he’s given up no sacks at LT. I’d be willing to bet most would assume those guys would go for multiple 1sts+, yet we’re all assuming (myself included) he goes for a single mid 1st or late 1st and mid-late 2nd.

After much thought, especially with the Ravens emphasis on the OL this offseason, I feel I’ve undervalued Orlando Brown Jr and where he likely weighs in their mind. In actuality, I think they probably put a value of two 1st round picks on him for any team interested in acquiring him... and I think enough teams will be wiling to pay that (or put their name in the hat before bowing out).

Jaguars, Vikings, Giants, and Chargers could all be willing buyers.

My final guess as to where Brown Jr ultimately goes is the Minnesota Vikings. They’re OL has been a serious problem for years now, they’re just one pick behind the Chargers, and of the two teams I could more easily see the Vikings being willing to part with two 1st round picks. Tom Telesco (Chargers GM) has mentioned he envisions the Chargers to be a draft driven organization and thus I think he ultimately taps out at one 1st round pick.

While the Vikings and the Ravens have already worked together on the Ngakoue deal, so there’s definitely going to be some familiarity there. Plus, if there’s a team that has enough of a track record to be a playoff caliber team that could be aggressive enough to make this deal, while simultaneously could end up as a team where the players quit and ultimately earns a top 5-10 pick in the 2022 NFL draft, I’d put the Vikings high up on my list. They’ve shown with trading for Yannick Ngakoue from the Jags that they’re willing to be aggressive in obtaining a player. Yet they’re a Kirk Cousins full season implosion and a veteran coach losing the locker room away from ending up in a premium draft slot. So I think they could present a strategic opportunity for us to attach our future value to. What’s more while the Vikings are without their 2nd round pick, which the Jags have, they still have 10 picks in the upcoming draft. Getting a PB LT and offering up a 4th round pick, would still leave them with 8 picks in the draft to plug up some holes. So that’s my prediction.

Vikings get:
Orlando Brown Jr

Ravens get:
2021 #14- 1st
2021 #115- 4th
2022 1st Round Pick

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

My darkhorse (or maybe 1b) team however is the Giants with a package that could look like,
Giants get:
Orlando Brown Jr
2021 #27

Ravens get:
2021 #11- 1st
2021 #42- 2nd
2022 1st Round
2022 3rd Round

Gettleman has made plenty of big time trades and has been active before in attempting to the fix the Giants OL, trading for Kevin Zeitler. He could sell it as though he didn’t give up “two 1st round picks” But simply one 1st. I think both of these could be likely deals that both front offices could offer and get away with. Gettleman almost HAS to go all in on getting Danny Dimes some help upfront. They also would present a strong chance at a top 10 pick in 2022 and likely a greater chance than the Vikings. They also have more cap space to dish out a more lucrative extension for Orlando Brown Jr, whereas the Vikings might have to get creative with their cap to give him an extension.

EDIT: Actually the more I think about it, the more NY makes even more sense. Brown Jr would provide great leadership for their young OL, he moves Andrew Thomas over to RT, where he could be potentially a superior fit, and Brown Jr would fit in great with that NY media IMO.

Edited by diamondbull424

26 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

and Brown Jr would fit in great with that NY media IMO.

You can picture the corny a*s commercials now 😆. "I'm Orlando Brown Jr. and I'm kind of a.... Giant, but you don't have to be a giant to enjoy 'John's Pizza' in Times Square".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You and I both know that if we pick that high in the 1st round we're taking a linebacker from an SEC school. Come on now.

The closest scenario to this I could see happening would be Micah Parsons from PSU falling to our theoretical high pick and the FO drafting him to replace Judon & Bowser at SAM. And Azeez Ojulari is technically an SEC LB/EDGE, so maybe his stock could work it's way up to that point from now until the draft. Kwity Paye from Michigan is hanging out there too, and he dropped a historic 3C time just a little bit ago.

I guess those would be the names to watch if you're afraid of a LB/EDGE selection early. Should keep an eye on Gregory Rousseau as well.

28 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

You can picture the corny a*s commercials now 😆. "I'm Orlando Brown Jr. and I'm kind of a.... Giant, but you don't have to be a giant to enjoy 'John's Pizza' in Times Square".

I’ll take it one step further. Orlando Brown Jr as Arnold and Saquan as DeVito. They’re Twins that prefer buying their cars at Hudson Honda....

Twins_Poster.jpg

The memes of it would be simply next level. 😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

As it stands, I think the reality is probably everyone is underestimating his value, including us. He was voted on as a pro bowl starter. Which means there’s obviously great respect he ushers across the league. Brown Jr has matched up with the likes of TJ Watt and Myles Garrett and lived to tell the story... he’s given up no sacks at LT. I’d be willing to bet most would assume those guys would go for multiple 1sts+, yet we’re all assuming (myself included) he goes for a single mid 1st or late 1st and mid-late 2nd.

Counter-point - Tunsil (+Stills) was traded for 2 1sts and a 2nd and it was thought at the time that this was a stupid trade and is now considered even worse in hindsight because that second 1st has turned into #3 overall.

As Jeff Zrebiec points out in the article on The Athletic that DK posted above, his trade value should fall somewhere in between what Miami got for Tunsil and what Houston got for Duane Brown (a 2nd and a 3rd, although Duane Brown was older), and that not knowing what is going to happen with the cap over the next year or two could make a trade harder.

I genuinely think a mid 1st is right around what we should expect, and anything more would be setting ourselves up for disappointment

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I genuinely think a mid 1st is right around what we should expect, and anything more would be setting ourselves up for disappointment

Agreed. And the Chargers' pick at 13 is probably the ceiling of that range. Maybe teams below them can sweeten the pot a bit with an added mid rounder/depth player, but I'm really not expecting some seismic Tunsil like deal to take place. 

I guess I won't be shocked if we get more than expected, because 1. The Ravens probably aren't all that interested in moving him so the value really has to be there for us 2. Talented young players at premium positions can frequently get FOs to overextend & 3. EDC seems to win every trade he's a part of- handily. Still though, I wouldn't predict anything crazy.

For us getting Pick #13 in a great draft for OL is a beyond palatable outcome. Maybe a high end pass catcher falls, which would be great and really fun for the fans. Or, we can just immediately replace OBJ with another hopefully plus option on a Rookie deal. And that take doesn't change much for us even if we slip down a couple more spots from Pick #13. I could be wrong, but I don't envision all of Ja'Marr Chase, DeVonta Smith, Kyle Pitts, Jaylen Waddle, and Rashod Batemon going in the first 18-20 picks.

If I were to put money on it, I'd bet that we turn Orlando Brown Jr. into Rashod Batemon with whatever we deal we pull off. That'd be my guess at this point.

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 1