The Orlando Brown Situation

coordinator0

2 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Not saying this instance is necessarily the same case but JLC has a looooonnnngggg history of doing guesswork around rumors that have bubbled up online and linking it to “multiple/anonymous sources”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if teams are calling but it’s just as likely that the Ravens HAVENT “given him permission to seek a trade” and JLC is completely speculating on that part imo 

6 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Not saying this instance is necessarily the same case but JLC has a looooonnnngggg history of doing guesswork around rumors that have bubbled up online and linking it to “multiple/anonymous sources”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if teams are calling but it’s just as likely that the Ravens HAVENT “given him permission to seek a trade” and JLC is completely speculating on that part imo 

True. But adding to the rumor mill and getting the desperate teams to want to overspend certainly doesn’t hurt. While I was all for the Chargers pick #13 or the Jaguars late 1st and early 2nd... I certainly wouldn’t be against drumming up the value and potentially getting two 1st round picks for Brown Jr either.

10 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

True. But adding to the rumor mill and getting the desperate teams to want to overspend certainly doesn’t hurt. While I was all for the Chargers pick #13 or the Jaguars late 1st and early 2nd... I certainly wouldn’t be against drumming up the value and potentially getting two 1st round picks for Brown Jr either.

Saw a good series of tweets from Ken McKuisck on twitter where he basically mathematically deduced that Brown should/would be worth right around pick #16 in a trade...I'm guessing a late first and an early second is probably right there in that same value range...I'd take it.

11 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Was just thinking...id take Michael Gallup + a 2nd for Brown in a heartbeat.

I vastly prefer Gallup as a player over Mike Williams and that Cowboys 2nd round pick should be pretty good with them going 7-9 or 6-10 or whatever it was

Gallup is an intriguing option. I think I prefer Williams as a player just because I think his ability to make contested catches would add a new element to the offense, but Gallup has a MUCH easier contract to absorb whereas we'd likely need to extend Williams right away to make his 2021 number workable. 

I think we basically have two likely options in front of us: either selling Brown for a 1st rounder at a bare minimum, or a package that includes an established outside receiver + hopefully some draft capital. 

My pipedream is still figuring out a way to get DJ Moore, and Brown could be a piece that might actually get that conversation going. Maybe Tavon Young being a former Temple guy could help tempt Matt Rhule as well, but this is definitely all entering the realm of wishful thinking. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 1

^ When it’s all said and done id still handicap the chances of us trading OBJ at ~20% and I don’t expect it to happen, but I’d be content with all of the options we’ve been discussing lately honestly.

Dependent upon us finding OL help in FA/draft obviously 

I'd actually say 70% he's traded before week 1. I don't think they would do it for low value, because his value for even one year with us is high for our contention chances. However, I think he will have enough interest in a trade that we get high enough value for trading him to be the right move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

I'd actually say 70% he's traded before week 1. I don't think they would do it for low value, because his value for even one year with us is high for our contention chances. However, I think he will have enough interest in a trade that we get high enough value for trading him to be the right move.

Yeah that's kind of where I'm hung up. I just don't see another team giving Eric enough assets to make him think "this is better value than what Orlando brings us this year, during our SB window" especially after him and Harbs have harped about making OL priority #1 this offseason.

I genuinely don't think Eric moves Orlando for anything less than a first+ (picks or player) and I'm not sure I see a team doing that with this OT class/depth.

Maybe we can get someone else in "win now" mode like the Colts to bite and throw us a 1st + another pick.

Think I heard the Vikings need an OT too and they have pick #15 so that could be intriguing.

Edited by Ray Reed

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Was just thinking...id take Michael Gallup + a 2nd for Brown in a heartbeat.

I vastly prefer Gallup as a player over Mike Williams and that Cowboys 2nd round pick should be pretty good with them going 7-9 or 6-10 or whatever it was

I like it. Just not sure that Dallas can afford to pay Brown Jr given I think it’ll take a lot for them to even retain Prescott. Though I do prefer Gallup to Williams as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah that's kind of where I'm hung up. I just don't see another team giving Eric enough assets to make him think "this is better value than what Orlando brings us this year, during our SB window" especially after him and Harbs have harped about making OL priority #1 this offseason.

I genuinely don't think Eric moves Orlando for anything less than a first+ (picks or player) and I'm not sure I see a team doing that with this OT class/depth.

Maybe we can get someone else in "win now" mode like the Colts to bite and throw us a 1st + another pick.

Think I heard the Vikings need an OT too and they have pick #15 so that could be intriguing.

I think teams will offer enough for Brown Jr. This OT class may be strong, but the draft is a crapshoot to a degree. The Giants evaluated Andrew Thomas to be the best OT in last years class with a talented group including Mekhi Becton, Jedrick Wills, and Tristan Whirfs. They were wrong in their evaluation/development. This OT class while it offers Sewell and more great depth, is not as top heavy as last years class. The 2020 class offered 4 OT prospects that offered elite potential. This class offers more high level starter options, but only Sewell is considered a slamdunk. Darrisaw is essentially Becton-lite.

While the class offers more OL options overall than just the OTs which could play a part in another teams evaluations of the trade, for teams needing a LT option yet won’t be “within range” for Sewell, trading for Brown Jr and getting him extended seems like a very reasonable play.

The Chargers for example won’t be within range for Sewell, likely not within range to trade up for him either. So getting Brown Jr would offer a far greater chance at solving the LT spot than with any of the options available. If we needed a pure LT, I’d take Brown Jr quite easily over this class’ 2nd tier options. Brown is better than what I’ve seen from Darrisaw, Eichenburg, Slater, and Leatherwood. Jenkins could possibly rival Brown as a RT (hard to say), but I’m not confident about his transition to LT spot. I think he’s a pure RT or possibly a guard.

Either way, I wouldn’t worry too much about teams not offering the value for Brown Jr. I was somewhat concerned in that regard before, but I think after having watched more OT tape, I think teams will be hard pressed to feel like they can do better than Brown. To the point where he should garner plenty of legitimate interest, possibly more interest than even what some of us anticipate (if enough teams get to bidding up the price).

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

I’ve had time to think about it. I don’t want the line to be good. I want it to dominant. And we probably need Brown for that unless we hit a home run in the draft. So let him sit out a few months. I think he’s gotta come back at some point to accrue a year and he’s probably not rich enough to take it too far anyway. So **** what he wants.

Edited by DontTazeMeBro

2 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I’ve had time to think about it. I don’t want the line to be good. I want it to dominant. And we probably need Brown for that unless we hit a home run in the draft. So let him sit out a few months. I think he’s gotta come back at some point to accrue a year and he’s probably not rich enough to take it too far anyway. So **** what he wants.

Ravens should be getting maximum value for Zeus Jr. in a contract year. Forget all that sitting out mess, go grab a haul from a needy team and use that capital to revamp in the draft. The Ravens historically do well drafting lineman. I'm confident that can continue while also help improving the team even more with a Zeus trade.

39 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think teams will offer enough for Brown Jr. This OT class may be strong, but the draft is a crapshoot to a degree. The Giants evaluated Andrew Thomas to be the best OT in last years class with a talented group including Mekhi Becton, Jedrick Wills, and Tristan Whirfs. They were wrong in their evaluation/development. This OT class while it offers Sewell and more great depth, is not as top heavy as last years class. The 2020 class offered 4 OT prospects that offered elite potential. This class offers more high level starter options, but only Sewell is considered a slamdunk. Darrisaw is essentially Becton-lite.

While the class offers more OL options overall than just the OTs which could play a part in another teams evaluations of the trade, for teams needing a LT option yet won’t be “within range” for Sewell, trading for Brown Jr and getting him extended seems like a very reasonable play.

The Chargers for example won’t be within range for Sewell, likely not within range to trade up for him either. So getting Brown Jr would offer a far greater chance at solving the LT spot than with any of the options available. If we needed a pure LT, I’d take Brown Jr quite easily over this class’ 2nd tier options. Brown is better than what I’ve seen from Darrisaw, Eichenburg, Slater, and Leatherwood. Jenkins could possibly rival Brown as a RT (hard to say), but I’m not confident about his transition to LT spot. I think he’s a pure RT or possibly a guard.

Either way, I wouldn’t worry too much about teams not offering the value for Brown Jr. I was somewhat concerned in that regard before, but I think after having watched more OT tape, I think teams will be hard pressed to feel like they can do better than Brown. To the point where he should garner plenty of legitimate interest, possibly more interest than even what some of us anticipate (if enough teams get to bidding up the price).

I mean, I hope you’re right. Time will tell. It’s nice to project all of these optimistic scenarios out as fans based on things other teams have done in the past and what other teams may potentially be thinking but who really knows what EDC wants/teams are really willing to offer.

We do have the luxury of kind of being in a win-win situation, though, which is nice. Either teams offer us a great haul like you say, or the offers don’t match what EDC wants and we still have a dominant, probowl RT for another year. 

Can really afford to just wait this out. Conventional thinking would suggest this needs to happen before the draft, but who knows, maybe a team doesn’t get a LT in the draft they expected to fall, or there’s a major injury in TC, and they offer us some deal impossible to pass up involving an awesome player or two or some massive overpay of future draft capital.

Edited by Ray Reed