The Orlando Brown Situation

coordinator0

Jacksonville's got a lot of draft capital and a need at LT. They also have plenty of cap space. I'd put them as one of most likely along with the Chargers and Panthers.

This could just be that they were trying to extend him and give him RT money and this was his response. Might not be actually demanding a trade this year.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

To take a step back, he is a non-QB who is still on his rookie deal. He needs to a accrue this next season and has very little leverage. He can't really force the team's hand to trade him or anything. They could hold him and wait for a tag and trade next year, if they want. But they do need to form the plan for not being able to keep two good LTs.

At the same time his trade value will likely never be higher. If this divorce is coming I would rather it be sooner than later. Especially if it means not tying up the franchise tag and the cap space it requires for an indefinite period of time. 

48 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

This was my thought too. It makes so much sense and they want to protect their new star QB. I want a haul though. It's a long off season. Play hard ball until the draft. Don't make the move if it doesn't make sense. Make teams sweat into training camp. I'll take the picks in 2022 with 2023 🤷🏻‍♂️

51 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Chargers make a lot of sense at #13.

Yup. I was thinking they would be most likely, but I first wanted to check what type of scheme they ran under the new HC. If it’s a stretch ZBS or something, it’d be less likely. Considering their HC came from the Rams, I figured maybe so might their OC.

Looking it up, it’s Joe Lombardi (grandson to Vince) from the Saints. They ran a hybrid zone/gap scheme IIRC so I suppose Brown would be a fit there as a LT.

1 minute ago, coordinator0 said:

At the same time his trade value will likely never be higher. If this divorce is coming I would rather it be sooner than later. Especially if it means not tying up the franchise tag and the cap space it requires for an indefinite period of time. 

I'm not entirely convinced that this is the optimal time. Teams aren't going to forget him playing well at LT. There's also a factor of the cap squeeze reverting and teams potentially being more "hungry" next offseason. I'm not too worried about our cap tie up for 2022 by temporarily holding the tag.

Plus, giving up a year of cost controlled top RT play is quite significant where this team is at. If we move him, we have a gaping hole on the right side. Another year buys us time to get a closer look at Tyree Phillips or another rookie(s) we bring in. Not to mention Stanley is coming back from an injury on the other side. It's not necessarily worth more trade compensation if it throws that big a wrench into next season.

14 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

This could just be that they were trying to extend him and give him RT money and this was his response. Might not be actually demanding a trade this year.

Yes. It sounds to me like this would more likely be a comment about the extension the Ravens offered that payed him RT money and not LT money. Not necessarily a refusal to play RT under his current contract.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Really annoys me what he's doing tbh. Like, you could be a Raven-for-life at RT, get paid PLENTY and be on the team you wanna be on, but you're forcing your way out the door because you want to be a Left Tackle? Come on....selfish AF

I think it's more about LT money, than actually playing the position. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Really annoys me what he's doing tbh. Like, you could be a Raven-for-life at RT, get paid PLENTY and be on the team you wanna be on, but you're forcing your way out the door because you want to be a Left Tackle? Come on....selfish AF

Psh... If I was a player in that very slim prime window I would absolutely prioritize maxxing out the bank account. 

MAYBE you think the the other way if you're on your 3rd or 4th contract and have banked a ton of money. Definitely not entering the 4th year of a 3rd round pick's rookie deal.

30 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Psh... If I was a player in that very slim prime window I would absolutely prioritize maxxing out the bank account. 

MAYBE you think the the other way if you're on your 3rd or 4th contract and have banked a ton of money. Definitely not entering the 4th year of a 3rd round pick's rookie deal.

Your value is what someone is willing to pay you. Can't blame these guys for trying to secure the financially healthiest future possible for themselves.

Sometimes this scenario will benefit us and other times it won't. I know no one is crying about Mosley leaving town for a 17 Mill per year deal, instead of taking 14 Mill per to stay with us 😂.

I have no problem with him wanting to maximise his earnings but I'm not sure he'd get Bakh/Tunsil/Stanley sort of money, and after those sorts of contracts, the next tier are basically the same regardless of which side of the OL you play on.

Oh well, I'm sure EDC will be able to get a decent return in a trade, and then it will be all on him to find an adequate replacement (that better not be Tyre Phillips)

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This outlook is selfish. 

You play ball because you love it, sure. You also want to make the absolute most money you can while you're in it. 

I don't blame the kid at all. Get the most you can while you can. 

• Like 3

Id be absolutely floored if we got a 1st round pick for him. Would certainly be a pleasant surprise...just seems like one of those deals where we’d get back a 2nd and a 3rd or something and be sorta let down because we know how good he is at LT.

That being said my prediction is that he plays out his last year here. With Ronnie coming off a lower body injury that happened mid-season and our tackles behind that being Tyre Phillips and DJ Fluker...yeah I can’t see Eric letting that fly. Not when him and Harbs have gone out of their way to talk about the importance of getting better along the OL this offseason. 

The 1st round pick scenarios will be fun to play out in our heads the next few months at least...lol

8 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Id be absolutely floored if we got a 1st round pick for him. Would certainly be a pleasant surprise...just seems like one of those deals where we’d get back a 2nd and a 3rd or something and be sorta let down because we know how good he is at LT.

That being said my prediction is that he plays out his last year here. With Ronnie coming off a lower body injury that happened mid-season and our tackles behind that being Tyre Phillips and DJ Fluker...yeah I can’t see Eric letting that fly. Not when him and Harbs have gone out of their way to talk about the importance of getting better along the OL this offseason. 

The 1st round pick scenarios will be fun to play out in our heads the next few months at least...lol

I would be floored if we didn't get AT LEAST a 1st rounder for a player who's shown capable of playing both tackle positions. And EDC should be ashamed if he settled for anything less than that. Unless we're getting multiple 2nd and 3rd's.