Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Why does everyone assume Stafford is staying in LA?

Many have already recognized that this could be a bad situation in a few years, and he’s only got 2 left on his current deal. If he does keep it together physically and is still playing at a similar level, why wouldn’t he wait it out to see if it’s still a good spot to be?

According to the crew that think he is in the long haul QB camp, wouldn’t he want to be able to go for one more 3/4 year deal at 35 and not try to scrap for 1 year deals at 37? Especially if he can assess where his best option would be with assuming multiple suitors?

That’s true, he could walk. It’s not going to make this trade look any better if he does though.  You’re admitting you made a mistake the very same year the first 1st round pick is being used by Detroit. 

Edited by Rodjahs12

9 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

That wording is off. This Rams team is instantly the best team Stafford has played on.

Its always funny when a fan talks about another teams depth. Most fans on this forum probably didn't realize that John Johnson was one of the best safeties in the league, so I doubt they'd have any idea how good the Rams depth is.

But it's pretty good across the board and as long as we either keep or replace Floyd in FA, it'll remain that way next year too.

That's debatable. The 2014 Lions had a top 3 defense and Calvin Johnson and peak Golden Tate at WR.

17 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

That’s true, he could walk. It’s not going to make this trade look any better if he does though.  You’re admitting you made a mistake the very same year the first 1st round pick is being used by Detroit. 

No I think you’re misunderstanding me. I’m saying that would make the deal worse. If you only have Stafford for 2 years (especially without a ring) and he says “this was fun, but team X is set up better and just needs a QB because their draft pick has flamed out” he could be gone while Detroit is still holding first rounders 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

And the coaches?

Caldwell has been a reasonably good HC. Based on his time in Detroit, Lombardi would seem like a clearly worse play-caller than McVay, but I guess we'll get a better feel for that this year when he's with the Chargers.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Caldwell has been a reasonably good HC. Based on his time in Detroit, Lombardi would seem like a clearly worse play-caller than McVay, but I guess we'll get a better feel for that this year when he's with the Chargers.

Caldwell is a very good leader. The players in Detroit loved him and many looked up to him as a father-figure. But he definitely was and is not a tactician.

Maybe Lombardi is better for having learned that hard lesson years ago, but he was still awful. The entire offense regressed under his leadership. 

If you want a talented team that Stafford sank with horrendous play, then it's the 2013 Lions. He was a turnover machine in the back half of that season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

the rams made watson untradeable. wow.

Catching up on the thread, so late reply. But I disagree. I think myself and a few others were operating off the premise that a top 10ish type QB in the league would go for roughly a potential franchise QB and two 1sts at minimum. For example the Dolphins with Tua and 2 1sts or the Jets with the #2 pick (QB) and two additional 1st round picks.

Considering Goff and Stafford are both getting paid non-rookie deals while a team “realistically” trading for Watson would be presenting young QBs on a rookie deal and Goff doesn’t have as much “untapped potential” to his credit as the younger options, I think that serves to emphasize this as a good precedent that we can start to use for approaching a Watson deal.

While Watson is on another level than Stafford, he’s also being paid more and the team providing assets would be giving up a rookie QB salary, which influences the parameters to one where I think the overall value should be “similar” for trading for Watson. Perhaps you’d make that additional 3rd rounder a conditional pick that could take it up to another 1st? Perhaps it’s three 1sts and the young prospecting QB? Either way, I think this helps to shed light on Watson’s trade value more than it messes with the market, not IMO at least.

5 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Watson probably nets 4 firsts after this lol

Which is what I was ok with previously. John and Kyle need to offer that, plus Bosa if necessary. Wilson, Stafford, and Murray twice a year? Pick up the phone and offer the farm. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Caldwell is a very good leader. The players in Detroit loved him and many looked up to him as a father-figure. But he definitely was and is not a tactician.

Maybe Lombardi is better for having learned that hard lesson years ago, but he was still awful. The entire offense regressed under his leadership. 

If you want a talented team that Stafford sank with horrendous play, then it's the 2013 Lions. He was a turnover machine in the back half of that season. 

I think these are all reasonable points. I was only pointing out that Stafford has had some good teams around him.

Edited by jrry32

Jesus.

The Lions 100% win this trade long term, assuming they know how to draft. And if Goff rebounds at all, this could be one of the ugliest trades in a while. 

Stafford is good, not THAT good. Might have 5 or so years left. Goff could have 10+, plus the picks? Wow. 

2 hours ago, DannyB said:

One example that does come to mind is Tony Romo, so that would fit what you mean. But plenty of counter examples: The whole '04 class, Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Favre, I don't think Matt Ryan has physically tailed off.

Romo planned to come back in 2016 and play another 3-5 years. But he lost his job and CBS offered more money than the Texans (and other teams) not to get hit.

Stafford is really good. He has literally never had any kind of supporting running game.

As a Lions fan, I'm stoked that we got incredible value. As a Stafford fan, I'm stoked to see him go into a really good system with a really good team. He's gonna be great.

A lot of people seem to be forgetting how disastrous the Lions are as a franchise.