Everything Free Agency 2021 - Rumors, news and notes

RaidersAreOne

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

Starting to seem more and more like Trent Williams is going to be back with the 9ers. Seems like that flipped around quick. We were pretty confident he was gone a few weeks ago. 

The draft class and the cap squeeze this year likely changes the calculus.    The success of the last 2020 draft in finding T's probably has teams swinging back to going there.    The fact Wills, Wirfs & Becton were able to step in without a misstep is eye-opening to a lot of teams.  And while Thomas had a really rough start, even he showed why he was seen as the top guy in many circles (and while I'm not a fan of Gettleman overall, I can't ding him for taking Thomas first - the whole OL coach situation, though...weird). 

The fact that this year's draft class is seen to be even deeper than 2020's, I can see many teams looking to take advantage of the rookie-contract discount and go there.   Williams is still a great talent - but I wouldn't be surprised if his agent told him SF might be the best situation and highest bidder.  We'll find out soon enough I guess....

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The draft class and the cap squeeze this year likely changes the calculus.    The success of the last 2020 draft in finding T's probably has teams swinging back to going there.    The fact Wills, Wirfs & Becton were able to step in without a misstep is eye-opening to a lot of teams.  And while Thomas had a really rough start, even he showed why he was seen as the top guy in many circles (and while I'm not a fan of Gettleman overall, I can't ding him for taking Thomas first - the whole OL coach situation, though...weird). 

The fact that this year's draft class is seen to be even deeper than 2020's, I can see many teams looking to take advantage of the rookie-contract discount and go there.   Williams is still a great talent - but I wouldn't be surprised if his agent told him SF might be the best situation and highest bidder.  We'll find out soon enough I guess....

That's a topic of debate for a lot of 9er fans is whether or not it would be in the teams best interest to let him walk, use money in other places, and then draft Slater / Darrisaw at 12. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's a topic of debate for a lot of 9er fans is whether or not it would be in the teams best interest to let him walk, use money in other places, and then draft Slater / Darrisaw at 12. 

Now that SF kept 1.12, it's definitely a case that can be made.      Honestly, this T class is so good in its top 5, teams like SF, LAC, CHI & IND would be absolutely nuts to pass on T Rd1 - unless they're willing to gamble that the next tier would be there Rd2 (I wouldn't be so sure, there's a lot of value there too, though).   To say that Wills, Wirfs and even Becton had a massive impact on the OL play, is an understatement (Becton wasn't healthy enough and a T can only stabilize 1 side of the OL, which is why NYJ was still bad there, when he was out / the other side struggled).

It's weird, because the T classes aren't always good - but we've hit a mother lode of talent for 2020-21.   Teams would be wise to capitalize - it's not like it's guaranteed 2022-23 will repeat this way.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 10:31 AM, .Buzz said:

Makes it looks weird that the Bengals are letting Lawson and WJIII leave.

But agreed. All depends how FAs play this. Some may take a cheaper one year deal with a legit contender then hit the market when the cap bounces back next year.

Based on what?  They didn't tag either because neither is top 5 contract worthy.  lawson is a high pressure-low sack-oft injured guy.  That isn't a $16 mill/per guy.  

jackson isn't worth tag money either.  I think both might be back, just on longer deals at a lower than tag price.

Just now, INbengalfan said:

Based on what?  They didn't tag either because neither is top 5 contract worthy.  lawson is a high pressure-low sack-oft injured guy.  That isn't a $16 mill/per guy.  

jackson isn't worth tag money either.  I think both might be back, just on longer deals at a lower than tag price.

Where did I say anything about tagging either?

2 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

You said they are letting both leave,.  They are having ongoing negotiations with both currently

I'm aware.

But they also could have done this/came to long term deals a good bit of time ago and not let them hit FA. Which is my whole point. Both are quality young players that you guys are potentially letting walk in FA.