Saints QB Drew Brees agrees to drop salary to league minimum; Saves Saints $24M

RaidersAreOne

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean by extension you can always decide to reset it and eat it if you have a rebuilding year, but fair enough.

I do think that there is a way to do those things well. Moderation is key. Some teams have just gone overboard with it though. 

5 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Now this is a spicy rumor!!!

😂😂😂

No.

Brees and Brady situations couldn't be any more different. Brees has been the weak link on a stacked Saints team for 3 years running now. Change of scenery doesn't suddenly cure that limp noodle of an arm.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

What do you do if there is a real chance Russell Wilson could be had for the Saints, but Brees wants to return?

even with the reduced salary they still have a cap hit of 12 mil with Saints and 22 mil dead cap if released. He still has accrued $5.75 mil per year for 3 years for his signing bonus and a $5.4 mil restructure from previous year to get to that 22 mil. Even if they do a post june 1st cut they still have 11.1 mil in dead cap this year and 11.2 mil in dead cap next year. Not to mention they are still 66 mil over the cap. Even if you gave up the draft capital to get wilson you still have to pay his 20 mil salary this year so essentially you have to clear 86 mil plus the amount of money it will cost with the remaining draft picks. Even if you give up your 1st and 2nd the remaining amount of picks will range between 3-4 mil thats a cool 100 mil over the cap they have to some how free up. I just dont think the Saints are in a position to make the move but anything is possible. Not to mention who they have to extend next year in LT, RT, Lattimore, on top of losing Rankins and Williams in FA.

No matter what I think NOLA and Pitt should move on from their qbs as they arent going to make you a superbowl contender this year so why put the money in Brees and Big Ben but that is my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 9:24 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

What do you do if there is a real chance Russell Wilson could be had for the Saints, but Brees wants to return?

You add Wilson, no questions asked. Brees is welcome to stick around in the NFL, but it's going to be a new start with a new franchise.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You add Wilson, no questions asked. Brees is welcome to stick around in the NFL, but it's going to be a new start with a new franchise.

the only thing is how do you get under cap for this year when you are already over 66 mil. Plus if you go with Wilson your not only taking on his 19 mil cap hit this year but you also carry a 22.6 mil dead cap hit for Brees, if you do a post june 1st it will be 11.1 mil this year and 11.5 mil next year. Lets say you do the later and now you have to clear over 96 mil. I know cap's can be manipulated but that amount will require a lot of effort on both the GM and players who have to be restructured to get it done.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:24 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

28 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yup. 

2 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

the only thing is how do you get under cap for this year when you are already over 66 mil. Plus if you go with Wilson your not only taking on his 19 mil cap hit this year but you also carry a 22.6 mil dead cap hit for Brees, if you do a post june 1st it will be 11.1 mil this year and 11.5 mil next year. Lets say you do the later and now you have to clear over 96 mil. I know cap's can be manipulated but that amount will require a lot of effort on both the GM and players who have to be restructured to get it done.

I wasn't factoring in cap, tbh. But, Loomis has made a very long and successful career in making money appear out of thin air. 

One day, that bill is going to be due and the Saints will be in a special sort of cap hell... but that's way down the line.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I wasn't factoring in cap, tbh. But, Loomis has made a very long and successful career in making money appear out of thin air. 

One day, that bill is going to be due and the Saints will be in a special sort of cap hell... but that's way down the line.

I think that bill is due now lol especially with them landing wilson. You have to pay guys like Lattimore, Ramczyk, Marcus Williams if you want to have that continuation with the players you draft. I will be interested to see how loomis works this one with or without Wilson it will be interesting to watch him work his magic.