Aaron Rodgers Broken Collarbone - potentially out for season

Cakeshoppe

I posed this question in the Rodgers injury thread in the NFL News forum here earlier today:  Should there be an amendment to the NFL rule book about tackling players who are not ball carriers?   Barr wasn't penalized or fined because what he did was well within the rules as they now stand.  But there really wasn't a reason to tackle him after he clearly didn't have the ball except to take advantage of the opportunity to lay a big hit on the QB.  By tackling Aaron Barr drove him into the turf unnecessarily.  Just knocking Rodgers down on his fanny would have been enough without potentially injuring anybody.  QBs do not wear the same protective shoulder pads that other players wear.

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I posed this question in the Rodgers injury thread in the NFL News forum here earlier today:  Should there be an amendment to the NFL rule book about tackling players who are not ball carriers?   Barr wasn't penalized or fined because what he did was well within the rules as they now stand.  But there really wasn't a reason to tackle him after he clearly didn't have the ball except to take advantage of the opportunity to lay a big hit on the QB.  By tackling Aaron Barr drove him into the turf unnecessarily.  Just knocking Rodgers down on his fanny would have been enough without potentially injuring anybody.  QBs do not wear the same protective shoulder pads that other players wear.

I didn't see anything particularly bad about the tackle. Rodgers kind of rolled through it. He wasn't smashed directly into the cement. But you do bring up a valid point about equipment. I'm old enough to remember when shoulder pads were huge. (Take a look at pictures of players from the 60's.) 60's players also wore hip pads, large thigh pads, and other protective equipment, Now they run around out there with almost nothing! And they're playing on a very hard surface. I know they will never bring grass back, but they should require a return to the larger pads. Larger pads will slow the players down and absorb more of the impacts. Hopefully that will mean fewer injuries. And it's way past time to do something about the helmets. I can't believe that space age materials and some good engineering wouldn't produce a helmet that would cut way down on concussions.

4 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I didn't see anything particularly bad about the tackle. Rodgers kind of rolled through it. He wasn't smashed directly into the cement. But you do bring up a valid point about equipment. I'm old enough to remember when shoulder pads were huge. (Take a look at pictures of players from the 60's.) 60's players also wore hip pads, large thigh pads, and other protective equipment, Now they run around out there with almost nothing! And they're playing on a very hard surface. I know they will never bring grass back, but they should require a return to the larger pads. Larger pads will slow the players down and absorb more of the impacts. Hopefully that will mean fewer injuries. And it's way past time to do something about the helmets. I can't believe that space age materials and some good engineering wouldn't produce a helmet that would cut way down on concussions.

Hopefully technology improves, but there are always limits. The problem is the nature of concussions. it's all about what's happening inside the skull, so a space-age material giving the helmet great structural integrity is not going to help at all. you'd need something that has super force absorption/dissipation capabilities. And that something would have to be re-usable and not require replacing after one hit. And resistant to moisture and heat, and comfortable for a player to wear. And not too heavy, otherwise that could increase neck injuries. When you add all those requirements together, it rules out alot of possible solutions. 

Because football involves tackling, they will never be able to eliminate concussions entirely. I know that. But I wonder what putting a soft, force absorbing layer on the outside of the helmet might do. If it even just reduced the severity of any concussion, even if it makes the players look like bobble heads, it would be worth it. 

I'm also concerned about how shoulder pads and other padding have shrunk over time. I know it has to do with speed and freedom of movement on the field, and players are looking for any edge they can get, but there's got to be a better system to absorb and distribute the force of impact. Protecting the players is not just good business practice, more importantly, it's the right (ethical) thing to do. Does anyone know if the NFL has commissioned any studies on protective gear? With all of the billions of dollars the NFL takes in each year, it seems the NFL should invest at least some small percentage of profits into studying this. I would hope the players negotiate that into the next CBA. 

Per Schefter docs say Rodgers can begin a throwing program in December. That leaves the door open for a late season return.

If he comes back vs the Vikings (the team that injured him and will most likely be the team we're battling for the division crown with) and does what he did to the Bears in 2013 (the team that injured him and the team we were battling for the division crown with) that would be the most satisfying deja vu Christmas present you could ever ask for.

Obviously that will require Hundley to do his part until then like Matty Ice did in 2013. Im excited for him today.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Per Schefter docs say Rodgers can begin a throwing program in December. That leaves the door open for a late season return.

If he comes back vs the Vikings (the team that injured him and will most likely be the team we're battling for the division crown with) and does what he did to the Bears in 2013 (the team that injured him and the team we were battling for the division crown with) that would be the most satisfying deja vu Christmas present you could ever ask for.

Obviously that will require Hundley to do his part until then like Matty Ice did in 2013. Im excited for him today.

It's everyone part.  Putting it on Hundley is foolish.  Need the defense, OL, skill players to step up.  Coaching needs to be on task as well.

Rodgers on Conan's Clueless Gamer segment just after surgery and in a sling. 13 screws in his collarbone, that sounds like a lot? Most of the pics I have seen are like 7 screws.

Maybe him coming back this season sounds a tad optimistic?

46 minutes ago, jontat83 said:

Rodgers on Conan's Clueless Gamer segment just after surgery and in a sling. 13 screws in his collarbone, that sounds like a lot? Most of the pics I have seen are like 7 screws.

I went to the GB Press-Gazette website to read about this and there was nothing there.  >:(

1 hour ago, jontat83 said:

Now it's super strong though. Lots of hardware...

8 hours ago, jontat83 said:

If Aaron isn’t exaggerating about the number of screws, as being reported now, it likely means there are multiple fragments. At least that’s what most in the medical profession read into that number.

So his collarbone is likely in 3 pieces (4 screws in each piece roughly). I think his time table is the same but I’m sure if there is no reason to rush him back they won’t.

As we knew before this news... Rodgers return this season hinges more on Hundley and the team.

Archived