NBA 2020-21 Season - Game Day Thread (Bring Back The Wolf Pit!)

the lone star

26 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

And I would say the Heat fall into the category of top 10 teams where guys want to play because of the location. They're always a player in free agency. The Lakers and Knicks (No offense) were laughing stock organizations and were STILL getting top tier free agents. Meanwhile, well run organizations like OKC were just losing players left and right because no one wanted to play their. It's only an NBA problem and I'm not entirely sure why. 

They loss Durant. They traded Russ, Harden and Ibaka. That’s not them losing players. OKC trading Harden because a luxury tax Bill is their own doing.

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

I don’t know the number. But I also don’t feel “BIG TIME” free agents are signing in those markets as much as you think. Also your ignoring that a lot of these players are in these small markets for a decade and decide to move on. Ain’t like they moving the first chance they get. If you’re a small market team and aren’t doing the best you can to provide the players you inherit the resources and structure for them to win then I have little sympathy. 

Lebron was in Cleveland for a decade. KD in OKC for almost a decade and joined Warriors in Oakland (not a big market in relative terms). LaMarcus joined SA. Dwight joined Houston (big market tbf but its not LA, NY or Miami even), DeRozan chose Toronto. Unless im missing somebody. 

Houston is a huge market. Derozan didn't choose the Raptors, they drafted him. As soon as they aren't forced to stay, they leave. Guys can't leave after their first contract, or they would lol. 

Lebron an exception because he was born and raised in Akron. Aldridge is a good example of a big free agent joining a small market. He's really the only recent one. I'm not overstating anything, its 10x harder to grow a championship roster in Milwaukee, Orlando, New Orleans etc. than it is in LA, NY or TX. Its not that way in the other main sports.

7 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Houston is a huge market. Derozan didn't choose the Raptors, they drafted him. As soon as they aren't forced to stay, they leave. Guys can't leave after their first contract, or they would lol. 

Lebron an exception because he was born and raised in Akron. Aldridge is a good example of a big free agent joining a small market. He's really the only recent one. I'm not overstating anything, its 10x harder to grow a championship roster in Milwaukee, Orlando, New Orleans etc. than it is in LA, NY or TX. Its not that way in the other main sports.

Pretty sure DeRozan was a FA and chose to stay in Toronto when he could’ve went to LA. Is it harder? Yeah probably. In the NFL because contracts aren’t fully guaranteed and players aren’t as marketable market size don’t really matter. NY hasn’t signed a big time FA in like forever. Lakers just did it with Lebron but he’s at a different point in his career than most. Guys wouldn’t be going to LA if those players aren’t there.

3 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Pretty sure DeRozan was a FA and chose to stay in Toronto when he could’ve went to LA. Is it harder? Yeah probably. In the NFL because contracts aren’t fully guaranteed and players aren’t as marketable market size don’t really matter. NY hasn’t signed a big time FA in like forever. Lakers just did it with Lebron but he’s at a different point in his career than most. Guys wouldn’t be going to LA if those players aren’t there.

LA was a disaster zone and signed Steve Nash and Dwight Howard. Knicks got Amare, Melo forced his way to NY. AD forced his way to LA. 

It's really not even a debateable point. The big market teams can suck for 10 years and still get the biggest free agents. Its considerably harder for small market teams, not even close.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Regardless of tanking, the Nuggets getting the #3 with everything they have been through is a testament to their Coaches and players, specifically the best player in the league this season.

I don't think Portland has an answer for Jokic, but that Gordon trade doesn't help us in this matchup as he can't guard Dame or CJ.

Nuggets going to miss PJ Dozier massively.

i'm just sick of watching this portland team. so not really excited for the matchup at all.

nuggets are starting facu and rivers (?) at guard in a playoff series. if they pull out a series victory that's crazy lol. i don't love the matchup, but the nuggets have the best player in the series. blazers can't do anything with him defensively. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nah, that's just real recognizing real. Bron ain't respecting Jokic the way he respect Curry. 

I hope this isn't true but I think it is......And lawd the Bron stans are going to have a field day with this if the Lakers end up winning it all as an 7th seed.

LeBron "I have now won the three hardest rings of all time!!!!!!!" 

The jazz and Suns being the 1 and 2 seed tells me this isn’t the hardest run of all time. 

7 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Nah bro, he’s doing the I’m gonna beat the guy that I think that Is the MVP. So as result I’m gonna look better. 

Trust me... I know Bron is the master narrative manipulator lol, but both can be true.

25 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The jazz and Suns being the 1 and 2 seed tells me this isn’t the hardest run of all time. 

I'd say winning a title at 36.5 years old as 7th seed from the play-in tournament off a high ankle sprain would definitely be one of the toughest/hardest roads of all time.

I will say I give us a much better chance to win the title if we beat the Warriors and move into that side of the bracket. We don't want to have to go to the side of the bracket where we'll have to face the 2 teams out west that match up best against us in the Jazz and Clippers. Now, that would make the road THAT much harder. Not taking the Suns lightly I just like how we match-up better against them with the lack of interior D and inability to match-up with AD.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

AD forced his way to LA.

Bron being here was the catalyst for this.

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

Pretty sure DeRozan was a FA and chose to stay in Toronto when he could’ve went to LA.

Speaking of Spurs.... the Aldridge one was straight up embarrassing lol.

lakers.0.png

We were down bad. FAs using us just to get a free dinner and raise their price on the open market lol.

It's definitely easier when you play in a big city, especially one with nice weather, but we saw with those Lakers teams that the location and name/history/legacy wasn't enough. Having guys like Kobe and Bron was the difference between pulling another guy and being left begging for any name to come.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

@Bullet Club we need Luka to end these tanking boys

Not gonna happen, but I appreciate Luka for getting that team to the 5th seed (even if it was a 3 way tie for 5/6/7). Everyone wants to talk about Steph dragging that Warriors team, but that Mavs team is bad and Porzingis played in 42 games versus Draymond in 63.

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

LA was a disaster zone and signed Steve Nash and Dwight Howard. Knicks got Amare, Melo forced his way to NY. AD forced his way to LA. 

It's really not even a debateable point. The big market teams can suck for 10 years and still get the biggest free agents. Its considerably harder for small market teams, not even close.

Pretty sure Steve Nash and Dwight got traded. And when Dwight was an actual FA, he chose Houston over LA. Granted he did wanna play for the Nets first. AD forced his way to LA because Bron was there. He wasn’t forcing his way to LA or even signing with LA if Bron wasn’t there. 

I’m not even saying market size doesn’t have an impact. It does. And yes smaller teams have it harder generally. Those smaller teams tend to be crappy is a bigger issue. The Knicks haven’t gotten a big FA in over a decade. It took Lakers over 20 years to land another big FA. Again I’m not saying it doesn’t happen just not as frequent as people think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Not gonna happen, but I appreciate Luka for getting that team to the 5th seed (even if it was a 3 way tie for 5/6/7). Everyone wants to talk about Steph dragging that Warriors team, but that Mavs team is bad and Porzingis played in 42 games versus Draymond in 63.

idk. I'll take brunson, hardaway, dfj, klieber over wiggins, oubre, ????, ???? 

16 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

idk. I'll take brunson, hardaway, dfj, klieber over wiggins, oubre, ????, ???? 

Poole has been playing well recently -and I’ll take Draymond >> Porzingis too, but that’s not the point. Both teams are lacking. I’m not making this into a pissing contest. Just giving Luka his flowers.