What are you thinking about?

pwny

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

Was that ever a thing?  Has seemed pretty clear from the start that regardless of any other factors, the invading country were probably "the bad guys" in the scenario.  Though that doesn't preclude there being a bunch of "bad guys" on the Ukrainian side as well.  The two are not mutually exclusive.  But i think it's been pretty clear to most people that the civilians caught in the middle and suffering through this are not "the baddies".

it was a thing in the Browns forum.  One member had some views that could be viewed as sympathetic to Putin and his actions… 

That said...remember when America used "Original Napalm" and awful stuff like Agent Orange indiscriminately all over Vietnam?  Atom bombed Japan, and then did it again for kicks?  Dropped the largest conventional explosive device on record in Afghanistan a couple years back?  Drone striked a whole bunch of kids to death while pulling out of a forever war there, and waived it away as an "ooops, bad intel lol"?

There's kind of a lot of "baddies" on all sides in general it seems.

oh 100%.  I have no misconceptions about our government 

The weird thing with this Ukraine war is that it seems to have somehow finally resonated with a lot of people that, "war is hell", and the kind of weaponry that a modern major military power can, and does deploy regularly is actually pretty barbaric and horrifying.

War has always been hell and barbaric and horrifying.  Anyone who didn’t know that before now needs to maybe pick up a book.

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12152-016-9293-4/metrics

Cited by about 60-80 publications so far, depending on which aggregator you use. Fringe science though.

Ehhh, maybe i just shouldn't have used the term "fringe".  I guess that's taken on a bit of a stigma as a term.  But it's not the core, "mainstream" accepted model of addiction.  The entire article is more or less explaining that it is not the commonly accepted model of addiction.  So what would you call it?

"Exploratory?"

"Alternative?"

"Pioneering?"

4 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Why is this so common in America? We’re not the only country with gun rights. 

No, but we have much easier access to a much wider selection of guns.

Like, pick a country and Google their laws.  Then compare them to ours. They’re not that comparable in most cases.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Ehhh, maybe i just shouldn't have used the term "fringe".  I guess that's taken on a bit of a stigma as a term.  But it's not the core, "mainstream" accepted model of addiction.  The entire article is more or less explaining that it is not the commonly accepted model of addiction.  So what would you call it?

"Exploratory?"

"Alternative?"

"Pioneering?"

A review that summarizes the disease model and learning models of addiction, contrasts them, and proposes the implications of the changing landscape that will favor the learning model.

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Disgusting. 

You’re right

And you know what? People will forget about it in about a week. We will have this same discussion again and again.

Sandyhook told me everything I needed to know about people in this country.

48 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, it’s happened often enough I feel like I can comprehend it.

The lack of a response of any kind after dozens (hundreds?) of school shootings is what’s incomprehensible imo.

There hasn’t been an adjustment or response in FIVE presidential administrations. Every single school needs metal detectors period and if parents don’t like the optics too bad.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

You'd think at some point, people would wake up to the reality that there might just be too many guns out there, and too much access to them, with a pretty toxic culture and attitude around their use.  When this keeps happening.  Regularly.  All over the America, for all sorts of "reasons".

Especially combined with seeing the war in Ukraine, and what "a well regulated militia" with a bunch of small arms actually looks like when trying to resist a governmental major military power and combined arms and airstrikes.  Kind of removes the whole pretext of the need for so many guns in everyone's individual hands to fight off tyrannical government maybe.

Im not from this country. But I know what the 2nd was intended for. And that aint all it.

I was in Venezuela when guns were sold. And I was there after they collected the legal ones. Almost 4 years worth. And it was a shooting range. Cause the criminals were armed to the hilt, so the innocent, and the entire country fell prey to what followed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

it was a thing in the Browns forum.  One member had some views that could be viewed as sympathetic to Putin and his actions… 

oh 100%.  I have no misconceptions about our government 

War has always been hell and barbaric and horrifying.  Anyone who didn’t know that before now needs to maybe pick up a book.

People always ask things like, "Why do you care so much about history?  Why would you study that?  Why would you study war history unless you like war?"  And this is pretty much exactly the reason.  There are a lot of idiots who study history and sort of fetishize the "war" parts of it.  But for me at least, it's hard to see how someone could seriously study that sort of history in depth, and not become a pacifist of some stripe.

Studying that stuff informs you of some of the worst, most inhuman aspects of human civilization and what it's capable of.  Especially when wielded by morally bankrupt authorities.  And unfortunately, we as a species, far too often seem to end up with those people in those positions of power.  Often on multiple sides of any given conflict.

That old cliche though..."those who don't read history are doomed to repeat it".  Here were are again, in so many respects.

28 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

There hasn’t been an adjustment or response in FIVE presidential administrations. Every single school needs metal detectors period and if parents don’t like the optics too bad.

Is that really the solution though?  Along the lines of the whole "broken windows" thing.  When you're putting those sort of installments in every school, it essentially normalizes the need for those sort of security measures.  Encourages the behaviour of "bringing guns to school" as a normal thing that sometimes happens, and requires countermeasures to prevent.

Rather than taking actual steps to try to address the underlying issue.  With the sheer volume and availability of firearms, and the culture around their ownership and use.

Most other "developed" nations on earth don't have to contemplate installing metal detectors at every single school.  Do people really want America to display their "exceptionalism" in the arena of..."security checkpoints for children at school"?  And it's not like this is exclusive to school settings anyway.  Plenty of chances for children or adults, to get shot to death in lots of other innocuous venues in America over the past bunch of decades.  Metal detectors at all supermarkets?  Clubs?  Public squares?  Or just try to address the problem?

Perhaps examine why guns and weapons are some of the few things actually truly being "made in America" these days?

18 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Im not from this country. But I know what the 2nd was intended for. And that aint all it.

I was in Venezuela when guns were sold. And I was there after they collected the legal ones. Almost 4 years worth. And it was a shooting range. Cause the criminals were armed to the hilt, so the innocent, and the entire country fell prey to what followed.

So...give the teachers guns then to "fight back"?  Is that essentially the solution you're proposing?  The solution to gun violence is...more guns?

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

A review that summarizes the disease model and learning models of addiction, contrasts them, and proposes the implications of the changing landscape that will favor the learning model.

Okay.  A bit wordy, but i think we can both agree on that.