What are you thinking about?

pwny

18 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I like to add 2 shots of whiskey to mine and let it marinate in the bag for a day or two. Some brown sugar, soy, worcestershire, red pepper flakes, black pepper, a dash of liquid smoke, and meat tenderizer.

Edit - I'll have to try celery salt in some. My brother makes a hot sauce one and char siu jerky that are bangers.  I've heard of apple cider being able to help make some really good jerkys but havent tried them.

Honestly that even works really well with ground beef jerky if you have a jerky cannon. Be careful about using higher fat ground beef though. Makes a MASSIVE mess. I like 73/27 ground beef for meatballs and really savory applications, then 90 or 93% ground beef for more beef forward dishes. Didn't label which was which when I put them in the fridge and learned when the bottom tray of my dehydrator was coated in seasoned fat. Wife was pissed. hahaha

I like to add 2-3 shots of Whiskey too.

Not to jerky.  Just in general.  I add them to myself.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I like to add 2-3 shots of Whiskey too.

Not to jerky.  Just in general.  I add them to myself.

Obviously. Why would I treat the jerky better than me? The jerky is just lucky I shared. Lol

• Like 2

My fiance rented a place for a girls weekend on VRBO near us, and tried to use the person’s link to their company to give feedback about the stay.  Some appliances were not cleaned and they had to do them before using them, and multiple rooms with spiderwebs.  Despite giving them two weeks with no response, she give them 3/5 rating.  

Within 24 hours, she gets an extremely aggressive text from the property manager flying off the handle on her about why she have 3 stars, and doesn’t she know how damaging it is to his company and to the property owner who relies on this income, etc……and that this was the first he was hearing of this.  

Basically she told him too bad, so sad, but he still persisted and tried to offer her a voucher at their properties.  She went through other reviews and he had replied to one other 3 and said it would be the only 3 they would get.  

I don’t understand how these people can text you these things.  I told her I would email VRBO if it happened to me.  Email, I can understand following up that way, but not nearly in the same aggressive way.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

My fiance rented a place for a girls weekend on VRBO near us, and tried to use the person’s link to their company to give feedback about the stay.  Some appliances were not cleaned and they had to do them before using them, and multiple rooms with spiderwebs.  Despite giving them two weeks with no response, she give them 3/5 rating.  

Within 24 hours, she gets an extremely aggressive text from the property manager flying off the handle on her about why she have 3 stars, and doesn’t she know how damaging it is to his company and to the property owner who relies on this income, etc……and that this was the first he was hearing of this.  

Basically she told him too bad, so sad, but he still persisted and tried to offer her a voucher at their properties.  She went through other reviews and he had replied to one other 3 and said it would be the only 3 they would get.  

I don’t understand how these people can text you these things.  I told her I would email VRBO if it happened to me.  Email, I can understand following up that way, but not nearly in the same aggressive way.  

I vote update the review with a picture of the texts from the owner.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I vote update the review with a picture of the texts from the owner.

She actually felt harassed enough to call VRBO directly and they said that they encourage reaching out, even over the phone.  I told her about this recommendation and………she might just do it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

She actually felt harassed enough to call VRBO directly and they said that they encourage reaching out, even over the phone.  I told her about this recommendation and………she might just do it.  

I'm not only suggesting it for the schadenfreude.  (To be fair, I'm definitely partially suggesting it for the schadenfreude.)

That's the owners standard move, so any future 3rd party would be harassed unless they give 5 stars. If I was choosing where to stay, there is very little information more important to me than how someone interacts with their previous customers. And I'd always want to know if someone has a record of paying for reviews.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 7:42 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

99% of the time, all these short term rental companies are a complete ******* scourge on society.  They're not only plagued by *******s like this...but they fundamentally just eat up useful housing stock, doing absolutely nothing.

Let's just collectively agree to go back to Hotels like normal people.  Hotels are sweet.  They're all nice and clean and convenient and you know exactly what you're gonna get.  It's the best way to travel.

You don't even have to deal with decrepit properties or dip**** owners or creepy spycams looking at your dink or any of the other multitude of awful things that happen with AirBNB and VRBO and whatever else.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 6:51 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Have signed up for my first therapy session. Climate change anxiety since having a baby is near unbearable so hoping this helps. 

Nice.

I mean...not nice.  I mean.  Congratulations.  Or uh...****.

👍

I hope it helps.  Hopefully you've found a good therapist.  

Keep in mind, you're not married to your first shot therapist.  If it's not a great fit, try someone else.  It's like finding the right coordinator for the side of the ball you're not great on.  Also keep in mind, there can be real significant differences between a "therapist", "psychologist", and "psychiatrist".  The last one is just for drugs.  Don't go there imo.  But be aware at least, of credentials probably.  Though if something works for you...credentials are pretty irrelevant.

I've talked with my psychologist dad about my existential dread and climate anxiety at times, and his completely unphased approach just ends up kind of annoying.  So don't go to him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

99% of the time, all these short term rental companies are a complete ******* scourge on society.  They're not only plagued by *******s like this...but they fundamentally just eat up useful housing stock, doing absolutely nothing.

Let's just collectively agree to go back to Hotels like normal people.  Hotels are sweet.  They're all nice and clean and convenient and you know exactly what you're gonna get.  It's the best way to travel.

You don't even have to deal with decrepit properties or dip**** owners or creepy spycams looking at your dink or any of the other multitude of awful things that happen with AirBNB and VRBO and whatever else.

I mean, I don’t mind staying in hotels, especially when we take my 96 year old grandmother some place.  It’s especially easy when it’s just a night somewhere.  

But I remember going to Ocean City MD over Labor Day weekend……and the hotels wanted $400-$600 a night, and some wanted more.  We got a one bedroom, 650 square foot condo for $550 for the three day weekend, and we could cook our own food.  We went out for dinner once.  

That crazy amount of money for a hotel.  But people were buying them, the ocean front ones had no reservations.  I don’t remember it being that expensive before, but like the short-term rental market, hotels have changed too.  In Ocean City, when I grew up in the 90’s, they were all family owned hotels.  Now, there are some motels still owned, but they’re in bad shape and about 66% of the ocean front hotels have been bought by management companies that have turned them into name-brand hotels like Hilton.  

I’m with a group that does a yearly business convention in May, and for decades, they had a partnership with a hotel in Ocean City.  They were told two years ago that our business was no longer needed, and as they navigated other hotels in the area, just about all of them were getting out of the “convention” business.  There used to be a state teacher convention too, and they moved that, because the hotels priced themselves out of that business.  Hotels also need to come down in their prices too.  And it’s not just Ocean City.  When we stayed in Baltimore for my marathon, we spent over $1,000 for two nights, two rooms.  We booked them early.  If you waited, they were up to $500 a night.  

So yeah, for a three day weekend, I’m absolutely going to spend less for a place to stay, where I can also save money by not having to go out to eat for every meal.  

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, I don’t mind staying in hotels, especially when we take my 96 year old grandmother some place.  It’s especially easy when it’s just a night somewhere.  

But I remember going to Ocean City MD over Labor Day weekend……and the hotels wanted $400-$600 a night, and some wanted more.  We got a one bedroom, 650 square foot condo for $550 for the three day weekend, and we could cook our own food.  We went out for dinner once.  

That crazy amount of money for a hotel.  But people were buying them, the ocean front ones had no reservations.  I don’t remember it being that expensive before, but like the short-term rental market, hotels have changed too.  In Ocean City, when I grew up in the 90’s, they were all family owned hotels.  Now, there are some motels still owned, but they’re in bad shape and about 66% of the ocean front hotels have been bought by management companies that have turned them into name-brand hotels like Hilton.  

I’m with a group that does a yearly business convention in May, and for decades, they had a partnership with a hotel in Ocean City.  They were told two years ago that our business was no longer needed, and as they navigated other hotels in the area, just about all of them were getting out of the “convention” business.  There used to be a state teacher convention too, and they moved that, because the hotels priced themselves out of that business.  Hotels also need to come down in their prices too.  And it’s not just Ocean City.  When we stayed in Baltimore for my marathon, we spent over $1,000 for two nights, two rooms.  We booked them early.  If you waited, they were up to $500 a night.  

So yeah, for a three day weekend, I’m absolutely going to spend less for a place to stay, where I can also save money by not having to go out to eat for every meal.  

Those are pretty nuts prices.  But i guess it depends on the specific place, and if there's a particular "big event" happening at the time, where they'll absolutely jack up their rates (but usually so do AirBNB types?).

Personally, when i'm travelling...i don't really like to "save money" by cooking for myself.  I like to splurge a bit and try to find and sample some local restaurants.  I cook for myself all the time at home, and rarely eat out there.  Don't feel compelled to take that on the road with me.  I like to get something unique or different to make it feel special.

Though if you're running a Marathon the next day, i can definitely understand wanting to have predictability and total control over what you eat beforehand.  That's fair.  lol.

• Like 1

Anyone buy/sell a house recently (within the past few months)? How did your process go? We are just starting the process now. My realtor said the past few years have been very much uncharted territory so it is kind of like the wild west out there. I'm wondering how other peoples' experiences have been recently.