What are you thinking about?

pwny

Jackson Powers-Johnson at the combine admitting that he sings Alto (counter-tenor) parts got me thinking...what range do ya'll sing in?  And what's your go to Karaoke song?

I'm a true Xtramedium sorta Baritone.  Skewed toward the Bass end, but i can't hit the low lows.  End up there in a lot of cases because lol if any choir can ever find enough true Bass singers (they're so badass).  I can also pull most Tenor parts but gets strained as heck and at the very tippy top it's just falsetto.

38 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Just FYI it’s been over three years and I’m not dead and haven’t killed any grandmas from not getting vaccinated. Haven’t even gotten Covid for four years.

Am I still evil?

Yes but for reasons unrelated to covid 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 9:51 AM, MacReady said:

Just FYI it’s been over three years and I’m not dead and haven’t killed any grandmas from not getting vaccinated. Haven’t even gotten Covid for four years.

Am I still evil?

Gonna need to see a negative antibody test before I believe that. If that's true, you've got elite quarantining skills to the point where if everyone was like you the pandemic wouldn't have happened.

>99% you had a minor case (or a few of them tbh) and have a decent antibody profile already though.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Gonna need to see a negative antibody test before I believe that. If that's true, you've got elite quarantining skills to the point where if everyone was like you the pandemic wouldn't have happened.

>99% you had a minor case (or a few of them tbh) and have a decent antibody profile already though.

Yeah, I thought about putting that disclaimer back in that it’s possible I did, but asymptomatic if I did.

I was just thinking a month ago that the last time I was sick at all was when I had Covid. Then I just got a nasty sinus infection (negative on Covid).

On 3/5/2024 at 6:37 PM, Tugboat said:

Jackson Powers-Johnson at the combine admitting that he sings Alto (counter-tenor) parts got me thinking...what range do ya'll sing in?  And what's your go to Karaoke song?

I play guitar and sing poorly. Think like the Temu version of Chris Young. I can briefly get really low but that's harsh on the voice.  I've been told I have a good speaking voice, never (honestly) been told I have a good singing voice. lol
If actually trying to sound less crappy I will stick to some songs by Darius Rucker or Chris Young (Neon, Getting You Home, etc) but usually I prefer to just be a back up. We have a group that gets together about once per month to play around and sing or just BS. Of the normal 5 I'm probably the worst participant in singing. We play a lot of 90s and 2000s. One guy can play harmonica so we have to do some Billy Joel, Blues Traveler, Doobie Brothers, or Aerosmith even if none of us can sing most of them worth a damn. That guy is super talented, plays the cajon (like a drum box you sit on and play) usually while we play, and he's the best guitarist of all of us. Other than him the rest of us are mid to bad. Still, its fun and the wifeys get to do whatever the hell they're doing.

Recently I got talked into performing with the talented one's band as a fill in, and I had fun but don't want to do that again.

17 hours ago, MacReady said:

Yeah, I thought about putting that disclaimer back in that it’s possible I did, but asymptomatic if I did.

I was just thinking a month ago that the last time I was sick at all was when I had Covid. Then I just got a nasty sinus infection (negative on Covid).

Either way, since transmission is a 2 way street, if you went that long without coming into contact with someone positive, the odds of you then coming into contact with a bunch of other people to pass it on would be low. So you probably didn't kill any/many grandmas.

10 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

RIP DBZ is the most influential Anime.

Not an anime fan specifically, but I was a Saturday morning cartoon kid and DBZ was the best. Pure creativity all the way through.

That's a great picture of him too - what an infectious smile. RIP.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I play guitar and sing poorly. Think like the Temu version of Chris Young. I can briefly get really low but that's harsh on the voice.  I've been told I have a good speaking voice, never (honestly) been told I have a good singing voice. lol
If actually trying to sound less crappy I will stick to some songs by Darius Rucker or Chris Young (Neon, Getting You Home, etc) but usually I prefer to just be a back up. We have a group that gets together about once per month to play around and sing or just BS. Of the normal 5 I'm probably the worst participant in singing. We play a lot of 90s and 2000s. One guy can play harmonica so we have to do some Billy Joel, Blues Traveler, Doobie Brothers, or Aerosmith even if none of us can sing most of them worth a damn. That guy is super talented, plays the cajon (like a drum box you sit on and play) usually while we play, and he's the best guitarist of all of us. Other than him the rest of us are mid to bad. Still, its fun and the wifeys get to do whatever the hell they're doing.

Recently I got talked into performing with the talented one's band as a fill in, and I had fun but don't want to do that again.

Man, i really just need to get back into a band.  I miss that ****.  Just drinking beers, having fun.  Jamming out.  Sounds like you've got that.

I feel like singing is one of my only musical skills that hasn't just completely atrophied though.  My guitar skills have just fallen off completely.  I barely ever play anymore.  The chords are there but the nuance is not.  I could probably still play bass though lol.  My drumming is the thing that...i just have a pair of sticks and a pad that i occasionally drill with, but it's so unsatisfying.  Miss just hammering away at a full kit.

I really need to get myself to a spot where i can figure out how to make that work and join up with like a Dad Band or whatever.  Just play sweet songs like that even if it ain't great.  It sounds like a huge amount of fun.  But my drumkit is in storage like 800 miles away.  lol.  A couple of my former bandmates have situations like that and it seems awesome, but they're in completely different cities now so that sucks.  Including a guy who had a cajon that was entirely too small to make sense.  lol.

Curious...Where do ya'll practice?  I've pretty much sworn myself to a life of no practice space.  lol.

Anyway...

The Chris Young is making me think now.  It's not something i'd wanna sing because also idk how you pull some of that off without coming across as a complete creep.  But it's definitely the right easy range for me.  I'm totally gonna think about "Famous Friends" whenever i go back to my podunk hometown and do a Karaoke night now.  lol.  Not as exciting as i'd like, but a lot funnier...so that wins i think.

Interesting mix in general for ya'lls band.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Man, i really just need to get back into a band.  I miss that ****.  Just drinking beers, having fun.  Jamming out.  Sounds like you've got that.

I have zero intentions in being part of a real band. I've played guitar off and on for almost 20 years and due to my lack of actual dedication I am at best an advanced novice. Outside of church as a fill in I have been on stage all of 3 times. We do jam out. Use to be like 3-4 times a month but jobs, school, kids, etc. Now its a monthly thing but we look forward to it. I'm teaching my older two how to play, both are going to pass me up in 3-4 years if they keep working. They got my dad's musical talents, it skipped me.  

That being said I did fill in for a New Years Eve gig at a bar this last year and we had a fun lineup. Say it Ain't So by Weezer, Sweetness by Jimmy Eat World, Until the Day I Die by Story of the Year, Polyamorous by Breaking Benjamin and Scotty Doesn't Know as our one-off gag song.  These guys are legit musicians and I had fun but felt like a total imposter. 

I feel like singing is one of my only musical skills that hasn't just completely atrophied though.  My guitar skills have just fallen off completely.  I barely ever play anymore.  The chords are there but the nuance is not.  I could probably still play bass though lol.  My drumming is the thing that...i just have a pair of sticks and a pad that i occasionally drill with, but it's so unsatisfying.  Miss just hammering away at a full kit.

Good think is that getting back into the flow with it comes back WAY faster than learning it in the first place. I went about 3 years without touching a guitar at one point and it seemed like walking when your legs are asleep. You know what you're trying to do, what it SHOULD do, but damn it you're just stumbling around the neck like baby Bambi learning to walk. Just feel clumsy. Took about 2 weeks and I at least was getting the strumming and timing better, a month in and I was pretty much back to where I was before I dropped it (granted that isn't saying a lot). I always wanted to learn piano and drums, but I knew it would be a waste to invest since I wouldn't use them. 

Wife is really good at violin but has ridiculous performance anxiety. She still has no idea I've heard her practice before. Got home from work early and just sat on the steps and listened for like an hour. I've heard her play 4 times in the 18 years I've been with her. Kids have heard her once, and she looked like she was about to die when they mentioned how good it sounded. lol 

I really need to get myself to a spot where i can figure out how to make that work and join up with like a Dad Band or whatever.  Just play sweet songs like that even if it ain't great.  It sounds like a huge amount of fun.  But my drumkit is in storage like 800 miles away.  lol.  A couple of my former bandmates have situations like that and it seems awesome, but they're in completely different cities now so that sucks.  Including a guy who had a cajon that was entirely too small to make sense.  lol.

We actually just had two guys that played a lot and I liked hanging out with them, and then we kept bringing a coworker along that we found out would play (offer of free beer and BBQ always lures them in  lol) and some pop in, some leave.  

Curious...Where do ya'll practice?  I've pretty much sworn myself to a life of no practice space.  lol.

We rotate between 3 houses. I have the most land, the biggest grill, and I'm out by the country so almost no traffic noise, but no basement. The other two have either a furnished basement or a big (unused 🙄) garage to use. So basically April-Sept is my place, they bounce back and forth when its cold. Being at my place means the kids have more room and we all know that ALL kids have to help pick up before they leave otherwise that person (El Pig as we call them) brings ALL the food. No one wants to foot that bill, so the houses are always in decent shape when someone leaves.  

Anyway...

The Chris Young is making me think now.  It's not something i'd wanna sing because also idk how you pull some of that off without coming across as a complete creep.  But it's definitely the right easy range for me.  I'm totally gonna think about "Famous Friends" whenever i go back to my podunk hometown and do a Karaoke night now.  lol.  Not as exciting as i'd like, but a lot funnier...so that wins i think.

Interesting mix in general for ya'lls band.

Songs like Getting You Home and such is fun enough to sing when the girls are out there. What's really fun is when someone learns a new song from WAY back, and you can tease the wife/gf. I think it was November I realized I still know all the words to No Diggity and found out my buddy knew it, wife was amused/terrified when I gave her the hug and didn't let go when he started playing guitar. I got bit.  😅  

6 hours ago, Malfatron said:

It being suddenly 3am messed with me for a second

That was always wild when I used to work overnights.  Especially in the fall.  I'd be watching the clock go from 01:59 and then right back to 01:00.  Like wtf is this?  A do-over for the past hour?

• Like 1