What are you thinking about?

pwny

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Forget the Reese’s eggs, I can get Reeses stuff any time of the year.  

Now the mini Cadbury chocolate eggs with the colored shell?  I can crush a small package of those in one sitting.  I can’t keep them in the house.  

I used to love those so much when i was a kid.  But i kind of outgrew them.  Find them too sweet nowadays.

My sister is still obsessed with them though.  Just stockpiles a huge stash of them this time every year to last the rest of the year basically.  lol.

I've recently come to conclusion that all things considered, i might be an "*** Man"...

I love to love 'em, i love to kick 'em, i love to shove 'em, i love to stick 'em, i love to flaunt 'em, i love to watch 'em, i love to pick 'em...

A little tight one can stop me on a dime.

This all rings true tbh.  I think maybe that's why the girls all walk behind me down the street.

• Like 1

Anyone buy their house without a realtor? How'd that go? My wife and I might be doing that soon, and we want to know what we are getting ourselves into.

I was connected with a family friend who is renovating a house. He offered it to me at a discount, before it even hits the market, if we don't involve realtors on either end. It works out for both of us; I save some money, I can guarantee a house in a crazy buyer's market, he makes a little more money since we are cutting out that 6%, and he is able to confirm a buyer before he is even finished the renovations with a quick close.

Would I need a real estate lawyer in this case to draft up the offer, or is this something the Title company can help me with? And as far as home inspection, I'm guessing that is something I'd have to ultimately setup and schedule myself?

One of these studios (not Disney) should make an animated TV series based on The Iliad/Trojan War (that shows blood and has cursing like Invincible/Castlevania). Amazon or Netflix or Peacock , etc. Enough material in The Iliad to get multiple seasons out of it. And then you can do The Odyssey.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Anyone buy their house without a realtor? How'd that go? My wife and I might be doing that soon, and we want to know what we are getting ourselves into.

I was connected with a family friend who is renovating a house. He offered it to me at a discount, before it even hits the market, if we don't involve realtors on either end. It works out for both of us; I save some money, I can guarantee a house in a crazy buyer's market, he makes a little more money since we are cutting out that 6%, and he is able to confirm a buyer before he is even finished the renovations with a quick close.

Would I need a real estate lawyer in this case to draft up the offer, or is this something the Title company can help me with? And as far as home inspection, I'm guessing that is something I'd have to ultimately setup and schedule myself?

How much do you trust this family friend, and the quality of their work?

Renovations can be done to a lot of different quality levels.  And on the lower end, can be hugely problematic.  Where ya'll might want to have a realtor and inspections and contingencies involved.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, minutemancl said:

How much do you trust the seller? If you trust them, you could probably get a lawyer to handle the paperwork on both sides of your transaction. Realtors are a complete waste of money. Complete leeches on society. Definitely get an independent home inspection though.

Also for anyone that doesn't know, the 6% fee is a complete scam and subject to huge lawsuits. If you have sold/bought a home in the last 3-4 years you are probably included in the class action lawsuits against the NAR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

How much do you trust the seller? If you trust them, you could probably get a lawyer to handle the paperwork on both sides of your transaction. Realtors are a complete waste of money. Complete leeches on society. Definitely get an independent home inspection though.

Also for anyone that doesn't know, the 6% fee is a complete scam and subject to huge lawsuits. If you have sold/bought a home in the last 3-4 years you are probably included in the class action lawsuits against the NAR.

My wife and I bought our house in November 2019.  It was a new build/spec house, so we didn't have to really do much other than, well, buy it.  My father-in-law has his real estate license, so he was our "real estate agent," but all he did was show up to the closing.  My wife and I found the development, made the offer, dealt with the builder, dealt with the mortgage lender, etc. all on our own.  He ended up walking away with like $15k commission, for essentially one hour of "work."  I'm not necessarily complaining about him because they bought us our washer and dryer because of that commission, and it also essentially refunded what they contributed to our wedding.   However, the principle of that really bugged me.   Do you know enough about this class action to say if I would be included in it?

17 hours ago, minutemancl said:

It was a land purchase and not a property, but when we bought land we split the lawyer cost 50/50 and it was only billed for 1-2 hours worth of work, spent a couple hundred bucks apiece, great experience.

Granted, I knew the guy selling to us but still.

• Like 1

The alternative to realtors being scummy is getting a good one.

My realtor saved me and also helped me earn thousands more than I ever paid in closing and realtor fees. 

In the scenario listed realtors would be pointless if the price was already agreed upon and it's before hitting the market, but if you don't have that, and if you're in a crazy seller's market type place where options are limited and prices are considerably higher than they should be, I'd get a realtor. 

If I was guaranteed that entire 6% back by taking part in some class action lawsuit somehow I wouldn't even do it if all I had to do was sign my name and get the 6% instantly deposited tomorrow. My realtor saved me and earned me considerably more than that on the two houses I bought and one I sold with her help. 

13 hours ago, Tugboat said:

How much do you trust this family friend, and the quality of their work?

Renovations can be done to a lot of different quality levels.  And on the lower end, can be hugely problematic.  Where ya'll might want to have a realtor and inspections and contingencies involved.

13 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I trust him a reasonable amount. I'll also say, in this circumstance, there are more reasons than the usual transactional and friendly connections for him to ensure he's not pulling my leg on anything. 

I absolutely will be getting a home inspection as well, if we make an offer.

My current house that sells in a few weeks was a flip that they cut some corners on. It's also 150+ years old. I feel like I'm decently experienced at knowing what to look for what common problem areas there may be. This house is just over 40 years old and was just bought from the original owners' children, who sold it to the family friend. It was kept well, but outdated. I went and saw it yesterday and it is still being worked on, but I saw what was new- it was basically stripped down to the studs. New drywall, plumbing, electrical, roof, appliances, flooring, windows, doors, everything. I don't know if that's traditionally a good sign or a bad sign? It didn't need to go through that much of a rehab, but to make it entirely modern and updated it makes sense. 

3 hours ago, MacReady said:

The alternative to realtors being scummy is getting a good one.

My realtor saved me and also helped me earn thousands more than I ever paid in closing and realtor fees. 

In the scenario listed realtors would be pointless if the price was already agreed upon and it's before hitting the market, but if you don't have that, and if you're in a crazy seller's market type place where options are limited and prices are considerably higher than they should be, I'd get a realtor. 

If I was guaranteed that entire 6% back by taking part in some class action lawsuit somehow I wouldn't even do it if all I had to do was sign my name and get the 6% instantly deposited tomorrow. My realtor saved me and earned me considerably more than that on the two houses I bought and one I sold with her help. 

My realtor that is assisting us in selling is great. If this opportunity didn't come up, I would be using him all the way to find our next house. Hard to say no to a decent discount though if we just don't involve realtors. 

12 hours ago, CBears019 said:

My wife and I bought our house in November 2019.  It was a new build/spec house, so we didn't have to really do much other than, well, buy it.  My father-in-law has his real estate license, so he was our "real estate agent," but all he did was show up to the closing.  My wife and I found the development, made the offer, dealt with the builder, dealt with the mortgage lender, etc. all on our own.  He ended up walking away with like $15k commission, for essentially one hour of "work."  I'm not necessarily complaining about him because they bought us our washer and dryer because of that commission, and it also essentially refunded what they contributed to our wedding.   However, the principle of that really bugged me.   Do you know enough about this class action to say if I would be included in it?

Just make sure you inherit his house and consider the fee a downpayment on that future collection. Start passive-aggressively knocking his house to get him to make improvements for you too. :)

• Like 1