What are you thinking about?

pwny

22 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Speaking of all the purchasing questions and whether or not the quality is worth it, anyone have strong opinions on where the line for a quality vacuum versus meh?

I want to get one and be done with it for a decade so I started looking at Sebo/Miele/etc, but the idea of spending upwards of a grand on a vacuum is also nuts to me on its face.

I would personally get a good mid tier vacuum that specializes in collecting pet hair vs spending an insane amount of money. Replacing belts are easy to do as well on those mid level vacuums.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Speaking of all the purchasing questions and whether or not the quality is worth it, anyone have strong opinions on where the line for a quality vacuum versus meh?

I want to get one and be done with it for a decade so I started looking at Sebo/Miele/etc, but the idea of spending upwards of a grand on a vacuum is also nuts to me on its face.

Honestly, we’re considering this too, and I am scrolling FB marketplace for a Dyson that looks used in good condition to “pilot” it.  I got a Dyson air purifier/heater/cooling fan at the work Christmas raffle and we both love it. 

However, we’ve also had good experience with the Bissell “Little Green” stain remover so we might go with a Bissell.  

We get our house cleaned by a maid service every other week, so we are looking for something to handle pet hair in the meantime. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 7:01 PM, MWil23 said:

We buy cars new and then run them into the ground…as in, I “drove” mine to the scrap yard with a tow cable and got $375 cash for it. But now we are at the point where my “new” 2010 Ford Focus is ~135K and we need a bigger family vehicle, so I’m considering trading that one in for about $1,500 and biting the bullet on a new family vehicle, having the current one (Ford Escape) being my work vehicle , and that I intend on aggressively paying off this new one…but the thought of a car payment sucks.

That is where I want to be.  I have no problem with people who buy a car and can afford it, but I’ve got early-mid 20 year olds who work for me where the car payment (as well as insurance and gas) is up to 33% of their take-home pay.  If you following the 50/30/20 rule, that’s over all of your “wants” tied up in a car.  I bought my last car cash before I had my house, and I’ll tell you, the freedom from not having a car payment is great.  If my fiance and I weren’t talking kids, I would have run my Charger into the ground like you.  

She has about 14 months of payment left on a RAV4 with 40,000 miles and my 4Runner has four years left on it, with 20,000 miles- this one is our primary driver.  Barring an accident with a total, I’m anticipating these cars lasting us for the next decade-plus.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Nah, I'm one of those people who likes to buy stuff lol. Especially big stuff. 

If I want to buy a new car, I'll buy a new car. If I want to upgrade my house (either through a new house via selling the existing one or renovation) I'll upgrade my house and I won't really think twice about it once I've made the decision to do so. 

Now…..we are looking at a potentially bigger house, probably more after the wedding, but a house/upgrade is definitely something I look at and just do it.  I wanted a generator and went all-in on it and got something that runs just about everything.  Got a little more expensive with tank rentals and such, but again, still did it.  

If we stay at this house, we’re re-doing the back deck and making more of a patio-ish thing, and we will be all in on that.  

I just can’t wrap my head around crazy car payments, especially for young adults 

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That is where I want to be.  I have no problem with people who buy a car and can afford it, but I’ve got early-mid 20 year olds who work for me where the car payment (as well as insurance and gas) is up to 33% of their take-home pay.  If you following the 50/30/20 rule, that’s over all of your “wants” tied up in a car.  I bought my last car cash before I had my house, and I’ll tell you, the freedom from not having a car payment is great.  If my fiance and I weren’t talking kids, I would have run my Charger into the ground like you.  

She has about 14 months of payment left on a RAV4 with 40,000 miles and my 4Runner has four years left on it, with 20,000 miles- this one is our primary driver.  Barring an accident with a total, I’m anticipating these cars lasting us for the next decade-plus.  

The Focus was paid off in like 2014, the Escape bought in 2016 and then paid off in 2020, so we are looking at about 7 of the last 14 years having NO car payment and never having two at the same time - which is my goal.

However, I also do not want to drop ~$40-$50K on a family vehicle, but I also see us having to at some point (3 kids).

Thinking about riding out 2024 and then just hoping 2025 means taking that on won’t be bad.

Oldest kid is 9, so also looking at potentially adding a 3rd vehicle in the next 6-7 years. Ugh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I really like my Dyson. Warranty is good on it too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skywindO2 said:

How did society fall to a point that people are upset at objectively better public bathroom design? Do people actually like stall gaps?

https://x.com/morgonnm/status/1775954183939567752?s=46&t=azhGT4KwaXDaUlt9INHZOQ

"If there is a variable to be had, then there is a little punk ***** crying about it on social media." - Neil deGrasse Tyson, probably.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Being the cheap person I am I bought a damn nice Kirby that was older and a Rug Doctor, both on Facebook Marketplace. The Kirby was old and just needed a new brush (like $40) and the Rug Doctor I bought for $30 because it leaked. The gasket was under $10 IIRC. lol

Both have worked great and I've had them for years.  Unless I had a LOT of really expensive carpet (kids, pets, and a wife that routinely loses the battle with gravity make that a giant hell no from me) I wouldn't look at one that expensive. I guess it depends on how big of an investment you have made in your carpeting. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Reported aftershocks felt in Maryland too 

I've lived in NJ my entire life, and I've only ever felt 2 earthquakes- today, and the one back in 2014. Both were very small and caused 0 damage, but they still freaked me out. I'm going to be on edge the rest of the day.

Edited by minutemancl
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I've lived in NJ my entire life, and I've only ever felt 2 earthquakes- today, and the one back in 2014. Both were very small and caused 0 damage, but they still freaked me out. I'm going to be on edge the rest of the day.

I was preparing for a big order at work in 2011 when the one hit here in Maryland.  The whole building shook and it felt like I was hobbling as I felt it in my legs.  

No one could connect on cell phones because everyone was calling someone.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I would personally get a good mid tier vacuum that specializes in collecting pet hair vs spending an insane amount of money. Replacing belts are easy to do as well on those mid level vacuums.

Seems like this is about the high end of the consensus.

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Being the cheap person I am I bought a damn nice Kirby that was older and a Rug Doctor, both on Facebook Marketplace. The Kirby was old and just needed a new brush (like $40) and the Rug Doctor I bought for $30 because it leaked. The gasket was under $10 IIRC. lol

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Honestly, we’re considering this too, and I am scrolling FB marketplace for a Dyson that looks used in good condition to “pilot” it.  I got a Dyson air purifier/heater/cooling fan at the work Christmas raffle and we both love it. 

However, we’ve also had good experience with the Bissell “Little Green” stain remover so we might go with a Bissell.  

We get our house cleaned by a maid service every other week, so we are looking for something to handle pet hair in the meantime. 

I never would have considered going the used route for this, but that's funny the only real reason I was thinking that is because mentally I was chalking up $500 for it and at that point I'm going to want to know it was taken care of. Plus it's got a motor and most people treat them like crap.

But if I can find a deal on a used one somewhere, that makes a ton of sense since I'm going to have to get good at repairing it whether I buy it used or not.

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I really like my Dyson. Warranty is good on it too. 

How is it as far as repairs/maintenance? I had a Dyson, so it was the first brand I thought of, but mine was nearly a decade old and it sounds like they had durability issues with the more recent builds.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How is it as far as repairs/maintenance? I had a Dyson, so it was the first brand I thought of, but mine was nearly a decade old and it sounds like they had durability issues with the more recent builds.

I had no issues as far as I know. We had a cleaning lady come and try and she used it. She broke something on it, not sure what, but it was under warranty, so they fixed it no questions asked. So your chats about the durability issues might be true, but they made it right. 

• Like 1