Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

15 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Of course I'm going to read it.  Why would I waste my time and his by asking him to post it?  I spent almost three hours listening to the interview.  Why wouldn't I take the time to read it pwny's link? 

https://journals.lww.com/americantherapeutics/fulltext/2021/06000/review_of_the_emerging_evidence_demonstrating_the.4.aspx

That’s his meta-analysis

Here’s a summary of why it’s validity is questioned 

https://grftr.news/why-was-a-major-study-on-ivermectin-for-covid-19-just-retracted/

Happy reading.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I appreciate it and will check it out.  Thanks!  :)

• Like 1

And to be clear, I’m not even dismissing ivermectin (or any other drug) may potentially be proven effective one day.  Maybe someone figures out a particular dosing regimen, combination of meds, whatever, crazier **** has happened.

What I’m saying is at this time there is zero clinical data that has been accumulated in a manner that meets the minimum necessary standards to be considered legitimate.

If doctors want to keep trying new things and patients are aware of the risks, go for it. But misleading patients by citing unvetted data is irresponsible at best. This is what a 21st century snake oil salesman looks like.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Of course I'm going to read it.  Why would I waste my time and his by asking him to post it?  I spent almost three hours listening to the interview.  Why wouldn't I take the time to read it pwny's link? 

I mean. Stop listening to Joe Rogan expecting to receive medical advice.

He's an entertainer. He says a whole bunch of dumb ****. That's why he's so popular. And he knows it.

He's the Stephen A Smith/Skip Bayless of podcasts.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I mean. Stop listening to Joe Rogan expecting to receive medical advice.

He's an entertainer.

He’s a comedian, an actor, a podcaster, a UFC commentator, all kinds of things.

What he’s not is a journalist or proper host.

If he was he’d be vetting guests, challenging their points, etc.  If what they’re discussing is out of his depth, he should be bringing in another “expert” to provide the counterpoint and add context to the discussion.

His podcast is not educational.  It’s an intriguing/polarizing guest on a soap box for 2 hours with the host either injecting humor (something he is good at) or saying “nooo waaaaayyyyy” to stuff he can’t refute.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

He's the Stephen A Smith/Skip Bayless of podcasts.

This is grossly inaccurate. Rogan, despite saying some stuff without thinking sometimes, is always chill, and is still super likable. Stephen A Smith and Bayless try to be annoying as possible, and are not likable. 

I do understand the references and overall concept you were trying to make, but I do disagree with it. Joe Rogan is entertaining in a good way. Skip and Bayless draw high ratings because they act like super villains and have some of the most unlikable personalities on the planet. Joe has a very down to earth personality and a ton of people relate to him, and tune in for a “positive” experience, not a “negative” experience. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s a comedian, an actor, a podcaster, a UFC commentator, all kinds of things.

What he’s not is a journalist or proper host.

If he was he’d be vetting guests, challenging their points, etc.  If what they’re discussing is out of his depth, he should be bringing in another “expert” to provide the counterpoint and add context to the discussion.

His podcast is not educational.  It’s an intriguing/polarizing guest on a soap box for 2 hours with the host either injecting humor (something he is good at) or saying “nooo waaaaayyyyy” to stuff he can’t refute.

He has made it clear several times his podcast is not an interview and it’s not a debate. It’s a discussion of two people talking, or mostly Joe’s guest talking with Joe chiming in with his entertaining personality. 

His podcast can be very educational, just not usually from a medical standpoint. For example, I usually only watch episodes that have Astrophysicists or A.I. Engineers. His Astrophyscists guests such as Neil Degrasse Tyson, Brian Greene, Brian Cox, among others have all been super super detailed and very in-depth about space and astrophysics. 

The science guests are always the best. I don’t care much for the comedian or MMA guests to be honest. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This is grossly inaccurate. Rogan, despite saying some stuff without thinking sometimes, is always chill, and is still super likable. Stephen A Smith and Bayless try to be annoying as possible, and are not likable. 

I do understand the references and overall concept you were trying to make, but I do disagree with it. Joe Rogan is entertaining in a good way. Skip and Bayless draw high ratings because they act like super villains and have some of the most unlikable personalities on the planet. Joe has a very down to earth personality and a ton of people relate to him, and tune in for a “positive” experience, not a “negative” experience. 

He's not obnoxious like those two. But he's building/maintaining his brand. And his brand is saying dumb ****.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

we have very different definitions of “likable”

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

oh no

We found another fan. 😬

I wouldn’t say I’m a “fan” I watch his podcast like once a month when he has a good physics or A.I. Guest, but yes I do think he runs a very entertaining podcast, hence why it is the most popular podcast in the world by far, with viewers from all walks of life, countries, and political spectrums. 

I can easily say something negative of you. Another guy who wants to cancel everything in sight when he sees something he’s annoyed with or disagrees with. Joe has made it clear over and over he is not an interview show, a host, nor a debate. It’s a podcast of two adults talking, nothing more and nothing less. He doesn’t need someone there to babysit to make the show totally unfun, because the podcast is not a debate nor an interview. If you don’t like it, you can tune it out.  Stop trying to ruin things for other people. Really seems like Joe made people angry just because he beat covid with a non-accepted method and talked about it. Hey, welcome to real-life, where lotssss of people (non hospitalizations especially) are treated with non-accepted methods. It is not a crime to talk about his experience. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I wouldn’t say I’m a “fan” I watch his podcast like once a month when he has a good physics or A.I. Guest, but yes I do think he runs a very entertaining podcast, hence why it is the most popular podcast in the world by far, with viewers from all walks of life, countries, and political spectrums. 

I can easily say something negative of you. Another guy who wants to cancel everything in sight when he sees something he’s annoyed with or disagrees with. Joe has made it clear over and over he is not an interview show, a host, nor a debate. It’s a podcast of two adults talking, nothing more and nothing less. He doesn’t need someone there to babysit to make the show totally unfun, because the podcast is not a debate nor an interview. If you don’t like it, you can tune it out.  Stop trying to ruin things for other people. Really seems like Joe made people angry just because he beat covid with a non-accepted method and talked about it. Hey, welcome to real-life, where lotssss of people (non hospitalizations especially) are treated with non-accepted methods. It is not a crime to talk about his experience. 

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Joe Rogan. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Joe’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Joe Rogan truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Joe's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Joe Rogan tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

He has made it clear several times his podcast is not an interview and it’s not a debate. It’s a discussion of two people talking, or mostly Joe’s guest talking with Joe chiming in with his entertaining personality. 

His podcast can be very educational, just not usually from a medical standpoint. For example, I usually only watch episodes that have Astrophysicists or A.I. Engineers. His Astrophyscists guests such as Neil Degrasse Tyson, Brian Greene, Brian Cox, among others have all been super super detailed and very in-depth about space and astrophysics. 

The science guests are always the best. I don’t care much for the comedian or MMA guests to be honest. 

And that’s all well and good until you start talking things like healthcare or more serious issues in general.

He says this because he doesn’t want to have to research anything, educate himself, etc.  No prep, just smoke a cigar, sip some bourbon, make a joke and make money.  That’s not hate, tip of the cap in fact, but you have to be a bit more selective in regards to the topic then.

I’ll still always listen to him when Bill Burr is on though.

• Like 2