Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

10 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

The vaccine was worked on and tested for literal years before the pandemic.

It was only when a pandemic made it necessary that the entire world streamlined it. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-did-we-develop-a-covid-19-vaccine-so-quickly#Funding-for-COVID-19-vaccine-research

https://www.biospace.com/article/a-timeline-of-covid-19-vaccine-development/

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/covid-coronavirus-vaccine-development-speed

Covid isn't a new thing. Covid-19 is the new one (it's called covid-19 because it was first recognized/known in 2019, not because there were 18 before it or whatever). But the years put into covid itself (the specific structure of the virus) have been known/researched for years. The world's top scientists all working together to basically come to an agreement with unlimited funding should surprise nobody.

Vaccines already protect against the following (this isn't a complete list):

• Smallpox
  • Measles
  • Polio
  • HPV
  • Tetanus
  • Whooping Cough
  • Mumps
  • Hep A
  • Hep B

And most of them were streamlined in a similar fashion.

And it'll happen with the next global pandemic that happens in 100 years. And there will, again, be folks that doubt it/spend every ounce of their existence denying its efficacy. And people will die. And we'll go on.

But it doesn't have to be like that.

I think this is what annoys me more than anything. People just refuse to acknowledge the fact that the vaccine was not rushed.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Actually, I just remembered another option.  We have an ignore feature on this site. 

Nice knowing you, pal.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e473e3x1vf1s5029smkpd

The ignore feature? Actually great idea! I think I’ll be joining with the majority of the Jags forum that already has you on ignore for your ignorant takes.

Thanks for the reminder!

• Like 2

My little brother, who started high school a few days ago, got COVID and won't be able to make my wedding on Saturday. We're upset about it obviously, and he is distraught. They wear masks all day in school, except for lunch. No doubt that is where he got it from. Thankfully our parents are vaccinated and they are fine, but it really sucks.

Opening up schools for these kids, most of which haven't gotten vaccinated yet, was a really stupid idea. Especially when the blueprint for online learning was established already.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrDrew said:

You can respectfully disagree that Krispy Kreme is better than Dunkin’, or Domino’s is better than Pizza Hut, but disagreeing about a virus that is killing people, and ruining other people’s lives is dangerous. You can believe what you want, or don’t want, just stay home, and don’t spread bad information. If you actually did research, you’d see that they started making a vaccine for the common cold (a form of coronavirus) in the 1930’s, they were working on a SARS vaccine (another form of coronavirus) when it broke out, and they’ve been doing mRNA research for years. That gives the data they used to make the current vaccine. Choose to believe people who have stocks in some of the treatments that unvaccinated people use over the entire medical field? Your choice, just stay in your house because you’re a danger to others. Want to believe all of the conspiracies on where it came from? Your choice, but it doesn’t change any fact that this is here, it’s real, and it’s killing people. You can choose not to get vaccinated, not wear a mask, and believe whoever you want, just stay home, and don’t spread the lies. It’s that simple. There is no mask freedom, we’ve had mandatory vaccinations in this country before, and people fighting all of that are taking away actual rights from the rest of us. 

On board with everything in this post except for the bolded. Anyone who believes Dunkin' is better than KK is obviously a crazy person. 

Edited by JonStark
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, pwny said:

The ignore feature? Actually great idea! I think I’ll be joining with the majority of the Jags forum that already has you on ignore for your ignorant takes.

Thanks for the reminder!

I've had him on ignore since about page 160. How you guys managed to not put him there is a testament to you.

Tip o' the cap to you, gentlemen.

35 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

My little brother, who started high school a few days ago, got COVID and won't be able to make my wedding on Saturday. We're upset about it obviously, and he is distraught. They wear masks all day in school, except for lunch. No doubt that is where he got it from. Thankfully our parents are vaccinated and they are fine, but it really sucks.

Opening up schools for these kids, most of which haven't gotten vaccinated yet, was a really stupid idea. Especially when the blueprint for online learning was established already.

Sorry man, that sucks.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

So sorry, man. This sucks, truly sucks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I've had him on ignore since about page 160. How you guys managed to not put him there is a testament to you.

Fun fact, I've had most of the anti-vax people on this website on ignore since before COVID began.. Additional fun fact, the only thing that get you on my ignore list (apart from 2 people who are just that annoying), is overt racism.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I mean tbh the rant last time got the ignore from me. But I have a problem with self control and reading what ignored people say in this thread lol. But if I announce it, I’m sure I’ll follow through with the not responding finally.

• Like 3

Just now, pwny said:

I mean tbh the rant last time got the ignore from me. But I have a problem with self control and reading what ignored people say in this thread lol. But if I announce it, I’m sure I’ll follow through with the not responding finally.

My biggest weakness as well.

You got it double bad, because he's now a lifelong Jags fan... at least my tire fire in Houston is void of him.

• Like 2