Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Kind of figured

Unpopular take:

I'm against government mandates (shocking for some of you I'm sure) for a lot of reasons. This is one of them.

No one likes mandates. But the sad reality is that this is what happens when a large number of people have apathy and care only about themselves instead of others as well. All people needed to do was wear a mask and get vaccinated when they became eligible, and this would over by now including for health risk individuals like your mom who can’t get vaccinated.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Thanks, just curious and trying to help her process options of all sorts. I know she's got an appointment with her oncologist, but being an expert in social studies and government vs. the interpretation of law and these things would be WAY different. 

Dispensation may be possible.  Maybe consult an employment discrimination attorney in your jurisdiction, and lead with the genuine disability aspect since they’re likely overwhelmed by jackwagons making ridiculous claims.  But, at least a non-frivolous claim may exist, which might be enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

If I had a legitimate medical reason for not getting vaccinated (she does), then I wouldn't wear a mask or subject myself to weekly PCR tests either (having had 3 of them) for the rest of my life. There's not an "end game" for people like her. This is the last I'll say on this particular issue.

The end game for her is that enough people get vaccinated that we can safely return to a functioning society. It may not happen immediately, but that’s why the mandates are finding themselves necessary. Someone who is receiving cancer treatment is the exact person these mandates are being created to protect. When we’re talking about the comorbidities with COVID that lead to death, being in cancer treatment is very close to the top. If it was me in that situation, you’re damn right I wouldn’t be walking around like everything is normal and fine and be doing everything I could reasonably do to protect my immunocompromised self.

If you can’t get vaccinated because of an honest to goodness medical issue, absolutely get a medical exemption. But it also seems really reckless to then not play ball in the short term on the accommodations required.

What is the actual objection she has to the testing and masking? Obviously she doesn’t want to spend the next 40 doing that — none of us do — but in the short term, what’s the reason for objection? 

• Like 3

More opinions about the Rodgers situation:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/08/nfl-midseason-raiders-fmia-peter-king/

But there are four points on the story I’d like to make:

1. He said there was a “witch hunt” in the media, trying to find out who was vaccinated and who wasn’t. There were questions asked of players about whether they were vaccinated, if that’s what a witch hunt is. There’s a reason for it. We saw it last week. America, and Packer nation, discovered out of the blue that Rodgers was out of an important game against Kansas City, and might be out against Seattle the following week. If a player tests positive, say, on a Friday and is unvaccinated, he will miss the next 10 days of team activities, meaning he will miss at least two games. That’s news. Reporters are going to ask about that, and rightfully so.

2. He said, “If the vaccine is so great, then how come people are still getting covid and spreading covid and, unfortunately dying of covid?” What an elementary question. We’ve known since the summer of the existence of breakthrough cases, which mean that people can get Covid after getting the vaccine—but those cases of Covid will almost certainly be mild. According to the CDC, unvaccinated people are 11 times more likely to die from Covid than vaccinated people who get breakthrough cases of the virus.

3. He said he hopes to be a father one day, and said the unknown of long-term vaccine effects on fertility was a factor in not getting the shot. There’s a greater risk, however, of infertility caused by getting Covid than by taking the vaccine, per the CDC.

4. He said he has consulted with his friend Joe Rogan, podcast host and comic, about what to take to stave off Covid. Rogan has never studied medicine, dropped out of UMass-Boston, and admitted that he’s neither a doctor not an expert in the field. Taking advice from a very opinionated man on Covid seems the same as Rodgers walking into the third row of the stands at Lambeau Field before a big third-down play and saying, “You’ve been a season-ticket holder for a long time, and you love football. What should we call on third down here?”

I continue to think a starting quarterback for a football team who makes $35 million a year—or whatever the salaries of Rodgers, Kirk Cousins and Carson Wentzare—should think about all the lives they’re affecting by not getting the vaccine. Is it life and death to miss one or two football games? Of course not. But is there some overwhelming evidence that you’re doing such harm to yourself by being vaccinated that you’ll risk missing two games in the middle of a season?

Finally: As Adam Schefter reported Sunday, I’ve heard from three club officials that the NFL is letting Rodgers get away with things lesser-known players couldn’t get away with—that is, not wearing a mask at things like indoor press conference, even though he is not vaxxed. NFL executives have been asked to sign a document, weekly, professing that they will follow all NFL Covid protocols in team facilities. They’re dubious that the Packers are doing so. It’s a fine line the Packers are facing, another GM said: They don’t want to alienate Rodgers, in hopes of him wanting to stay in Green Bay at least one more season. But they are risking major team fines and discipline if they look the other way on Rodgers and masks.

The league has begun an investigation into the Packers’ mask protocol, one source told me. League officials, by right, can watch 30 days of video from the team’s training facility.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pwny said:

What is the actual objection she has to the testing and masking? Obviously she doesn’t want to spend the next 40 doing that — none of us do — but in the short term, what’s the reason for objection? 

I got the text from my wife today at work, so I won’t be able to talk with her on exactly  why until tomorrow. Basically she has two weeks to figure it out and she’s panicked.

7 hours ago, pwny said:

The end game for her is that enough people get vaccinated that we can safely return to a functioning society. It may not happen immediately, but that’s why the mandates are finding themselves necessary.

I understand what you're saying.  What would be your benchmark for returning to a functioning society?  It doesn't look like we will eradicate COVID and existing vaccines, while very effective, are not currently preventing seasonal surges that lead to a lot of severe disease and death among susceptible people and stress to healthcare systems. 

My fear is when we talk post-pandemic we aren't just talking about not immediately, we may be talking about not in our lifetimes.  If that's the case how long do people put up with restrictions, mandates, etc.?  At what point do people accept that COVID is part of the human condition now and a permanent, albeit relatively slight, reduction in life expectancy and prioritize other things? 

6 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I understand what you're saying.  What would be your benchmark for returning to a functioning society?  It doesn't look like we will eradicate COVID and existing vaccines, while very effective, are not currently preventing seasonal surges that lead to a lot of severe disease and death among susceptible people and stress to healthcare systems. 

My fear is when we talk post-pandemic we aren't just talking about not immediately, we may be talking about not in our lifetimes.  If that's the case how long do people put up with restrictions, mandates, etc.?  At what point do people accept that COVID is part of the human condition now and a permanent, albeit relatively slight, reduction in life expectancy and prioritize other things? 

If the determination is made that nothing will change from where we currently stand, we need to completely change our infrastructure to support it. 

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

you're asking at what point we go from being in a pandemic, as we are currently, to covid being endemic in society, which unfortunately looks like our best case scenario moving forward. it's a good question and one that i wish was being communicated more publicly by the government and public health officials. i have no idea what kind of case rates and hospitalization rates would indicate that kind of shift, and i wish that was made clear to people. as it stands we still need to do a much better job getting shots into arms across the world, something that wealthy countries have all-too-predictably hindered poorer countries from doing. i don't think we can reasonably say the pandemic is over until that happens.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If I had a legitimate medical reason for not getting vaccinated (she does), then I wouldn't wear a mask or subject myself to weekly PCR tests either (having had 3 of them) for the rest of my life. There's not an "end game" for people like her. This is the last I'll say on this particular issue.

With effective treatments becoming available that can keep people from getting severly sick and taken from home + the antibody cocktail that can be given to immune compromised people and the extreme elderly to severely reduce the chance of infection + growing immunity via infection and vaccination = the end of the tunnel is nearing. It is going to be an interesting transition back to normal, though. It'll also be interesting to see what changes linger. 

Eighty-five percent of people in Singapore eligible for coronavirus vaccines are fully vaccinated, and 18 percent have received booster shots.

But the Singaporean government said Monday that it will no longer cover the medical costs of people “unvaccinated by choice,” who make up the bulk of remaining new coronavirus cases and covid-19 hospitalizations in the city-state.

“Currently, unvaccinated persons make up a sizable majority of those who require intensive inpatient care, and disproportionately contribute to the strain on our health care resources,” the Ministry of Health said in a statement Monday.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TVScout said:

Eighty-five percent of people in Singapore eligible for coronavirus vaccines are fully vaccinated, and 18 percent have received booster shots.

But the Singaporean government said Monday that it will no longer cover the medical costs of people “unvaccinated by choice,” who make up the bulk of remaining new coronavirus cases and covid-19 hospitalizations in the city-state.

“Currently, unvaccinated persons make up a sizable majority of those who require intensive inpatient care, and disproportionately contribute to the strain on our health care resources,” the Ministry of Health said in a statement Monday.

We need to do the same. I'm sure the insurance companies already are digging into this.

• Like 2