Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

I don't know if it is that Omicron is worse than Delta, or we are in the season where outbreaks are now more likely, but I'm nervous about Covid again. Hospitalizations are up, statistically and from what I'm hearing anecdotally from friends/family that work in hospitals, and there are massive outbreaks across the NFL. Got my booster today because I'm taking zero chances.

28 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I don't know if it is that Omicron is worse than Delta, or we are in the season where outbreaks are now more likely, but I'm nervous about Covid again. Hospitalizations are up, statistically and from what I'm hearing anecdotally from friends/family that work in hospitals, and there are massive outbreaks across the NFL. Got my booster today because I'm taking zero chances.

Maybe both? Basically any season that forces you inside, ie. extreme heat in summer or this now, is a recipe for Covid disaster.

Edited by Xenos

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

Maybe both? Basically any season that forces you inside, ie. extreme heat in summer or this now, is a recipe for Covid disaster.

Is it really just that? That people stay inside more in more extreme weather? COVID seems to be back to being insane right now. I feel like it has to be more than just that.

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Is it really just that? That people stay inside more in more extreme weather? COVID seems to be back to being insane right now. I feel like it has to be more than just that.

Having a more contagious variant obviously doesn’t help manners, especially one that can more easily evade antibodies from previous infections or vaccinations. But yeah, unless something changed with this variant, I think there would be less cases if people spent more time outside than inside.

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What’s the real issue here?

70% of the medication was being purchased by 5 states so they limited purchasing ability to ensure other states had access as well.

I have no issue with telling a group of people who don’t believe in the severity of the pandemic (perhaps even in covid as a real thing at all), vaccines used to prevent severe outcomes, etc., that they can’t then bogart one of the few effective treatments we have for them.

It wasn't for them.

The vaccine is the frontline treatment. Monoclonal antibodies are for people who don't have the ability to make their own antibodies after vaccination. The fed bought this so that if a kid with on chemotherapy gets COVID, they'll be okay, not so a bunch of GED Facebookologists can get bailed out on the taxpayer dime.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It wasn't for them.

The vaccine is the frontline treatment. Monoclonal antibodies are for people who don't have the ability to make their own antibodies after vaccination. The fed bought this so that if a kid with on chemotherapy gets COVID, they'll be okay, not so a bunch of GED Facebookologists can get bailed out on the taxpayer dime.

Frontline treatment yes but when someone is hospitalized and vaccinated, they need to receive the MCABs. They're not all receiving it even in places where they have plenty of it. That is my biggest gripe with the whole thing. If you have people that are vaccinated and for whatever reason still get pretty sick, and you have a supply of MCABs, they need to be used. This has been a huge problem in areas in north texas like Amarillo. Said man in charge was asked about their MCABs supply when referring to vaccinated patients who died or were near death and the treatment was never administered even though the supply was plenty. I only know about this because the symposium/conference was televised.

Edited by BullsandBroncos
  • Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If they don't have a medical exemption for their non-vaccinated status, disagree. I wish them the best.

I'm just strictly talking about those vaccinated that still end up sick enough for hospitalization or before it gets that bad. And yes if you don't have a medical exemption there's no real reason not to do it. Same thing when you can't get lung transplants when you smoke or if you need a liver transplant and you still kill 2 bottles of wine a day. To me, it's the same concept. 

medically exempt deserve the same preferential treatment as the jabbed.

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I'm just strictly talking about those vaccinated that still end up sick enough for hospitalization or before it gets that bad. And yes if you don't have a medical exemption there's no real reason not to do it. Same thing when you can't get lung transplants when you smoke or if you need a liver transplant and you still kill 2 bottles of wine a day. To me, it's the same concept. 

medically exempt deserve the same preferential treatment as the jabbed.

Recipients of organ transplants are graded/prioritized based on the effects of their past choices every day.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Recipients of organ transplants are graded/prioritized based on the effects of their past choices every day.

Can confirm. I have a family member waiting for a liver transplant. She's been told that her history of never being a drinker helps. Only thing knocking her down the list afaik is age.

• Like 1

We’re officially pass 800K deaths even though most were completely preventable. Also here’s an interesting point for those who still think the deaths are only for the old.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/14/1063802370/america-us-covid-death-toll

Among older adults, the median age of COVID-19 deaths has "dropped precipitously," Osterholm said, especially when vaccination status is taken into account.

"One of the things that I find troubling is the fact that people often write off [the death toll] as just, 'This is a bunch of old people,' " Osterholm said.

Using Minnesota as an example, Osterholm said the median age of unvaccinated people who die from the disease in the state is more than 20 years younger than vaccinated people who die from it.

"The unvaccinated are becoming more and more of a challenge at much younger ages, and we're seeing many more 20-, 30-, 40- and 50-year-olds unvaccinated dying from COVID," he said.

So, level setting here for everyone...

- Medically exempt people are people who have an existing condition or reaction to vaccines and cannot get one without a serious reaction; People who had certain cancer/chemotherapies, people with Gullian-Barre Syndrome (I think that's what it's called) or have allergies to vaccines in the past.

- Personal Reasons are people who have no underlying physical conditions, but may have a religious belief and/or an aversion to taking a vaccine that can not be corroborated by any sort of peer reviewed documentation.

Can we agree to this separation of unvaccinated? Am I missing any category?

If I'm accurate in my breakdown... I can say I don't think anyone is advocating turning away or not treating people with legitimate Medical Exemptions. If you have an exemption, it shouldn't be hard to validate and we should treat them with the full force of our medical arsenal available to them.

Personal Reasons? Yeah, no dice.

• Like 3

Ive steered clear of this thread, but after reading the news forum and the reddit threads, it feels safe to say vaccinated people are easily just as ignorant as the unvaxxed. You get a shot, and you put away your mask. You throw away your hand sanitizer. You start grouping up at events (or in this case, sidelines). You throw all the stuff that actually stops you from getting it away  which makes you ignorant or just flat out dumb. 

The vaccines only useful at helping with the symptoms if you are going to be careless in all the other aspects of life. Thats why the *vast* (like almost all) of these people getting it are vaccinated. Cause they took off their mask and the unvaxxed didnt. The unvaxxed are actually doing *MORE* to ensure they dont get covid in a lot of cases. 

And I speak to this from personal experience as well. Ive got the Moderna and J&J. My mom has neither. She does a lot more than I do. 100% masked in public. Washing hands. Taking extra vitamins. Im over here getting the shot and then hooking up with strangers. 

Its wild to me how "holier than thou" the pro vax crowd, when they are the ones spreading it. At least in the NFL, anyways. Its not the unvaxxed dudes messing up the roster.

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 6