Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

22 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Rumor is the CDC is going to drop the recommendations for fully vaccinated people to wear masks indoors. That's a HUGE step back to normality. I have to wonder if all the pressure and negative press surrounding how conservative they've been has pushed them to this narrative. Makes sense even though there are break through cases. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/13/cdc-says-fully-vaccinated-people-dont-need-to-wear-face-masks-indoors-or-outdoors-in-most-settings.html

Breakthrough infections are annoying but it’s still extremely rare:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna932

Out of the more than 117 million people in the U.S. who have been fully vaccinated, just 9,245 people later tested positive for Covid-19. The CDC has also said illnesses from breakthrough infections are typically mild.

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

Alright my sciencey bros @ramssuperbowl99  @Shanedorf

What do you think of the new CDC mask guidance, and states beginning to remove mask mandates?

Not one of the pharmological bros, but I‘ll throw in my opinion.

CDC mask guidance seems to be based on sound science and reacting in a timely manner to new information. It also makes the important distinction that it only applies to vaccinated people, and that the guidance doesn’t overrule state and local laws, nor policies of a specific place.

But I think the repeal of mask mandates in early June coming from states are coming too soon. An entire segment of the population only just received an okay to get the vaccine, and it’s going to be impossible to get them all vaccinated in the time between now and the lifting of the mandate. And it’s not like 12-15 year olds are doing enough research that they truly understand that the state saying no one needs to wear a mask anymore actually means that they should still continue to wear a mask until it’s been two weeks after their first vaccination, nor are kids that age really okay with being the only one doing something and sticking out in public spaces. And to be quite honest, I don’t expect their parents to understand it either.

Feels like the mask mandates are starting to come in about a month too early before we can reasonably get the newest batch allowed to actually get vaccinated.

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

Alright my sciencey bros @ramssuperbowl99  @Shanedorf

What do you think of the new CDC mask guidance, and states beginning to remove mask mandates?

Scientifically, I don't know of a reason that one vaccinated person would need to wear a mask anywhere. That's been my position the whole time, and every day we get more proof showing it.

How that guidance gets applied is more public policy really. Are we just going on the honor system, or are we bringing cards with us everywhere?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, pwny said:

Not one of the pharmological bros, but I‘ll throw in my opinion.

CDC mask guidance seems to be based on sound science and reacting in a timely manner to new information. It also makes the important distinction that it only applies to vaccinated people, and that the guidance doesn’t overrule state and local laws, nor policies of a specific place.

But I think the repeal of mask mandates in early June coming from states are coming too soon. An entire segment of the population only just received an okay to get the vaccine, and it’s going to be impossible to get them all vaccinated in the time between now and the lifting of the mandate. And it’s not like 12-15 year olds are doing enough research that they truly understand that the state saying no one needs to wear a mask anymore actually means that they should still continue to wear a mask until it’s been two weeks after their first vaccination, nor are kids that age really okay with being the only one doing something and sticking out in public spaces. And to be quite honest, I don’t expect their parents to understand it either.

Feels like the mask mandates are starting to come in about a month too early before we can reasonably get the newest batch allowed to actually get vaccinated.

I agree with most of this. I completely understand the CDC recommendation as it does follow the science and, honestly, it's great news they're coming out with this recommendation because it means the current variants aren't of much concern to us vaccinated folks both for our own safety and the people around us.

With that being said, I'd still wait until later June to pull the mask mandate, though the virus is still circulating around my county at an annoying rate. Honestly, if I were governor- I'd say in 6 weeks barring any crazy surge in cases- the mask mandate will be lifted. To the unvaccinated who are hesitant to get plucked- we now have an incredible amount of real world data that the vaccines not only protect you, but also do a tremendous job of protecting the people around you and, ultimately- protecting your community. This is true against the variants as well. Vaccination clinics are open all around the city. Now's your opportunity to get plucked, and be protected once the mask mandate is lifted in 6 weeks. 

31 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Scientifically, I don't know of a reason that one vaccinated person would need to wear a mask anywhere. That's been my position the whole time, and every day we get more proof showing it.

How that guidance gets applied is more public policy really. Are we just going on the honor system, or are we bringing cards with us everywhere?

Sounds like most states are going with the honor system. A bit soon for my liking, but it's good to know we're approaching the light at the end of the tunnel.

57 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

While I think the whole honor system wouldn’t work very long, I also don’t know how most states can do the card thing logistically. The only state that can pull it off successfully immediately would probably be Hawaii.

I think it is important to note that this is a CDC recommendation. This is a pure science influencing this. Will vaccinated people perpetuate the spread of COVID-19? No? Good, no PPE. It's that simple for them.

It doesn't take into account the geo-political ramifications, how states/private entities will regulate lifting the mandates, or the actions of non-vaxxed as they take advantage. That is why it is just a recommendation and the States still need to dictate how best to slow play restrictions being lifted based on their vax rate, current pop % vaccinated, economic impart, current hospitalization levels, etc. While I am personally frustrated that Maine is not letting me be maskless while I am indoors with people, I can rationally understand that no one can have a dedicated person just checking on whether or not me or 100+ other people depending on where I am are vaccinated or not. 

• Like 1