Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

31 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

For the record, medical confidentiality is what I’m referring to. It absolutely is a slippery slope.

Is it a slippery slope that your school requires proof of vaccination for enrollment? Or that proof of vaccinations have been required to travel abroad for decades? Or that TB tests are required to start certain college programs? Or that to live in a college dorm, you need to prove you have been vaccinated for meningitis?

Providing proof of medical status has long been a barrier to entry in order to prevent the spread of deadly diseases. There’s no slope. It’s an expansion of current policies while we deal with a global health crisis. 

As for your mom, it sounds like she’s the kind of person that we need to reach herd immunity for and need to get everyone that can to vaccinate so that she’s safe. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Probably because in general I am anti-government on most things. :) 

Odd stance for a guy whose paycheck comes from the state government...

And yes, I see the hypocrisy with me and my job ;) 

For the record, medical confidentiality is what I’m referring to. It absolutely is a slippery slope.

Buddy, this isn’t a new concept.  We’re not slipping anywhere.

People have needed proof of vaccination for many things for a long time.

And people like my mom who can’t and won’t get the vaccine due to her cancer and treatments. What about them? 

What about them?  They need to be protected as much as possible.  People should wear masks when around them, be vaccinated before they spend time with them, pretty much do everything possible to protect the immunocompromised.

Oh, wait, did you mean what about their ability to do stuff?  Well, if you’re not vaccinated and have a compromised immune system I’m not sure I’d encourage that person to be doing too many of the activities that we’re generally referring to for their own safety, but there’s also no reason there couldn’t be waivers for LEGITIMATE issues with verifiable supporting documentation (not, “i don’t want it” paired with a PCP who doesn’t have time/energy to debate the subject)

Because I believe that morons have the right to be morons and reap what they sow, as well as the inverse for intelligent people.

If only the morons were subjected to the consequences I’d almost be on board.

Personally, I’d rather the morons reap the benefits of the smart people who’ve figured out a few pretty solid ways not to kill others/die from covid.

You’re inching ever closer to “you’re goddam right people should be allowed to get ripped and drive around if they want to! It’s their body and their vehicle!”.  

You need to be careful with the libertarianism, it’s a slippery slope.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

Is it a slippery slope that your school requires proof of vaccination for enrollment? Or that proof of vaccinations have been required to travel abroad for decades? Or that TB tests are required to start certain college programs? Or that to live in a college dorm, you need to prove you have been vaccinated for meningitis?

Providing proof of medical status has long been a barrier to entry in order to prevent the spread of deadly diseases. There’s no slope. It’s an expansion of current policies while we deal with a global health crisis. 

As for your mom, it sounds like she’s the kind of person that we need to reach herd immunity for and need to get everyone that can to vaccinate so that she’s safe. 

Goddamit obviously you beat me by 1 min on multiple points...

44 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, it’s one thing to let morons be morons and only endanger themselves. It’s another when the morons are putting others at risk and making it so that life can never go back to normal for the immunocompromised. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yeah, it’s one thing to let morons be morons and only endanger themselves. It’s another when the morons are putting others at risk and making it so that life can never go back to normal for the immunocompromised. 

It’s the same argument people have made for wearing masks for a year now.

It’s just an odd stance from so many of the same folks who also supposedly subscribe to the idea of “love thy neighbor” (that’s part of a line from a famous book) and who obviously want things to return to normal very badly, but refuse to actually take the steps for that to happen.

• Like 1

@pwny @LETSGOBROWNIES

You both bring up some very valid and great points, and truth be told, you're absolutely right on most of it/if not all of it, but I wasn't really clear on what I was saying. I will do my best to address each of you below if this response doesn't get to what I was trying to infer.

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Long story short, this is a state by state issue and always has been. In some states, you need a waiver that you've been offered the vaccine and declined it on file, not the vaccine itself.

2 hours ago, pwny said:

This is absolutely fair, I will 100% give you that.

2 hours ago, pwny said:

The long and short of it is that in the past, people have argued the "taxpayer dollars" point of view and that they shouldn't be disallowed entrance into __________ school because they are "helping fund it".  It's then up to the school to find them separate housing outside of the dormitory, and in a COVID era, give them viable online/ other options, whether they choose to take the vaccine or not.

It's very similar to the precedent here in that Ohio ruled how schools collect funding to be unconstitutional quite some time ago, but yet they still do it.

Or that homeschooled kids have the right to be a part of whatever their local school affiliate middle school/high school team is since they also have parents who are tax payers.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Odd stance for a guy whose paycheck comes from the state government...

And yes, I see the hypocrisy with me and my job ;) 

In a perfect world, it would be funded by those who valued their/their kids' educations, I'd have a market value that's fair like any other profession on the planet in the world, even the federal government (not just privatized) that would see a guy who has the equivalent of 3 and 1/2 Masters degrees, 10 years of experience, and outstanding evaluations, and compensate me accordingly, as opposed to the reality of the situation.

Buddy, this isn’t a new concept.  We’re not slipping anywhere.

People have needed proof of vaccination for many things for a long time.

I'm speaking about strictly from a taxpayer standpoint and past precedents that are still on file here in OH and in other states as well.

What about them?  They need to be protected as much as possible.  People should wear masks when around them, be vaccinated before they spend time with them, pretty much do everything possible to protect the immunocompromised.

Oh, wait, did you mean what about their ability to do stuff?  Well, if you’re not vaccinated and have a compromised immune system I’m not sure I’d encourage that person to be doing too many of the activities that we’re generally referring to for their own safety, but there’s also no reason there couldn’t be waivers for LEGITIMATE issues with verifiable supporting documentation (not, “i don’t want it” paired with a PCP who doesn’t have time/energy to debate the subject)

Don't think I haven't had the exact same conversation with her. Over 60, cancer recovery, on medications, and yet she can't say no to her international travel vacations to Sandals and other places. 

Personally, I’d rather the morons reap the benefits of the smart people who’ve figured out a few pretty solid ways not to kill others/die from covid.

I'm genuinely torn on this. I've been quarantined multiple times and had it despite taking preventative measures and essentially putting my life on complete hold for a year and a half, and yet I have a bunch of friends and family who thumb their noses and have gotten off scott free over the same time period, don't have the same job restrictions, and don't have the same potential consequences. I don't want anyone to get hurt or sick, but I wanted some things to happen on a more minor level so that they'd finally understand why I'm not/haven't gone to parties, gatherings, etc.

You’re inching ever closer to “you’re goddam right people should be allowed to get ripped and drive around if they want to! It’s their body and their vehicle!”.  

You need to be careful with the libertarianism, it’s a slippery slope.

LITERALLY just talking purely from a taxpayer point of view and past educational, professional, and business precedents in regards to these things and strictly other "consumer rights".

You guys aren't wrong when it comes to things like communal living and even other education for 18+ year old in certain states, but I'm talking about private businesses and other venues that provide services considered essential in some capacity.

That's literally been my only point or intention here. :) 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The long and short of it is that in the past, people have argued the "taxpayer dollars" point of view and that they shouldn't be disallowed entrance into __________ school because they are "helping fund it".  It's then up to the school to find them separate housing outside of the dormitory, and in a COVID era, give them viable online/ other options, whether they choose to take the vaccine or not.

Not here.  No online option next year, all in class.  Either attend school in person or homeschool your kid.  

And plenty of people don’t have access to the school even though they’re funding it.  For example, I can’t roll up to the gymnasium at noon on a Tuesday with a basketball and some new Chuck Taylors ready play pick up games no matter how much I pay in taxes.

I don’t qualify for use of those public services. 

It's very similar to the precedent here in that Ohio ruled how schools collect funding to be unconstitutional quite some time ago, but yet they still do it.

Or that homeschooled kids have the right to be a part of whatever their local school affiliate middle school/high school team is since they also have parents who are tax payers.

Those kids are homeschooled by choice though, not because they present additional risk to other students or their families.

57 minutes ago, MWil23 said:In a perfect world, it would be funded by those who valued their/their kids' educations, I'd have a market value that's fair like any other profession on the planet in the world, even the federal government (not just privatized) that would see a guy who has the equivalent of 3 and 1/2 Masters degrees, 10 years of experience, and outstanding evaluations, and compensate me accordingly, as opposed to the reality of the situation.

I have no idea why it looks like that, but I’m not gonna fix it.  Moving along.... The sad truth as I understand it is that you’re actually probably better off this way.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t private religion based schools in the area tend to pay less?  

People want their kids to graduate from a good school, not necessarily get a great education. Hell 1/3 of the country and well over half of our area openly embraces anti-intellectualism.

Don't think I haven't had the exact same conversation with her. Over 60, cancer recovery, on medications, and yet she can't say no to her international travel vacations to Sandals and other places. 

In general, she’s the exception.  99% of people who aren’t getting the vaccine aren’t doing so because of actual facts, data, medical advice, etc., they’re afraid they’re gonna get microchipped by Bill Gates.

If people with actual issues were the only ones not vaccines, we’d be in great shape.

I'm genuinely torn on this. I've been quarantined multiple times and had it despite taking preventative measures and essentially putting my life on complete hold for a year and a half, and yet I have a bunch of friends and family who thumb their noses and have gotten off scott free over the same time period, don't have the same job restrictions, and don't have the same potential consequences. I don't want anyone to get hurt or sick, but I wanted some things to happen on a more minor level so that they'd finally understand why I'm not/haven't gone to parties, gatherings, etc.

You want your pound of flesh, I get it.

They get to mock you for being a ***** for wearing a mask and listening to the MSM and when they occasionally get sick and die you can’t point and laugh at their stupidity because you actually have a conscience.  It’s rough at times.

LITERALLY just talking purely from a taxpayer point of view and past educational, professional, and business precedents in regards to these things and strictly other "consumer rights".

The side railing against vaccines and masks wanted businesses to be able to decline service (baking cakes) based on sexual preferences not too long ago, so it’s hard to take their objections seriously when it comes to the private sector.

As far as tax payers...

Tax payers can’t use public roads if they’re underage at certain times.

Some taxpayers can’t own property.

Taxpayers can’t vote if they’ve been convicted of a felony or a minor.

Taxpayers can’t live within 500 feet of a school if they’re, well, you get where I’m going here.

Taxpayers aren’t permitted to drive if they can’t pass a vision test.

Taxpayers can’t drive if they’re not sober.

There’s all kinds of things taxpayers can’t do if they don’t meet the necessary requirements for use. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Xenos said:

I thought the breakthroughs included the asymptomatics?

COVID-19 Vaccine Breakthrough Case Investigation and Reporting

COVID-19 vaccines are effective and are a critical tool to bring the pandemic under control. However, no vaccines are 100% effective at preventing illness in vaccinated people. There will be a small percentage of fully vaccinated people who still get sick, are hospitalized, or die from COVID-19.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

15 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I wonder how people that think the vaccine is going to kill most people who get it are preparing for the new world where almost 70% of the American population is dead by 2022. 

Reverse Darwinism?

the decay and decline of civilization 

44 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I wonder how people that think the vaccine is going to kill most people who get it are preparing for the new world where almost 70% of the American population is dead by 2022. 

Yep. I've told people I'd rather get the vaccine that'll turn me into a zombie than remain alive with the 30%. I check my body once a day for any mutations. I'm ready for blood. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Oh man, at this point if we can even get 70% fully vaccinated, I would be so happy.