Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

4 hours ago, mission27 said:

As some folks said, as it gets warm it will just disappear 

I have to think there is a bit of seasonality at play here. The cases in my area in upstate NY have been staying stubbornly stagnant for nearly a month now. The percent positive is actually creeping up again to 3%. We're more open than NYC, but we've also been dealing with a lot of cold, rainy spring days unlike many areas south of us. 

And- just note- we were hit mildly hard in the spring, then creamed in the winter, so it's not like we don't have any prior immunity. Also, we're at about 53% of the entire population rcving at least one dose, so we're up to speed with vaccinations as well. 

So, I think it's a bit of seasonality and a bit of being more open than NYC that's leading to us staying stagnant. It's incredibly frustrating, but I know it will free fall soon. I am a bit worried about the fall, though. We really need to bump those vaccination numbers up. Also, thank science for these vaccinations, because there's no doubt in my mind we'd see another spike if it wasn't for them. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I can't speak from an educational standpoint like mwil or others but in my experience, two thumbs up

He's been relatively hands off of the educational process and allowed districts to make the best decisions for them. We've been open in person since August and given parents the decision on at home vs. in person. Approximately 33% of 9-12 opted online, and 25% total K-12 here.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He's been relatively hands off of the educational process and allowed districts to make the best decisions for them. We've been open in person since August and given parents the decision on at home vs. in person. Approximately 33% of 9-12 opted online, and 25% total K-12 here.

Which I feel is a good approach as no situations are alike except in major cities. As we've both agreed these children being out of school will hurt their social development among other things so I applaud him for doing that as well.

I was walking the dog yesterday and ran into a neighborhood friend. She said her kids were always in session but she knew people that were virtual for months and there was usually a day or two a week where they didn't even do anything. I hope this isn't common (I fear it is) and that these young kids aren't going to be too far behind.

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Which I feel is a good approach as no situations are alike except in major cities. As we've both agreed these children being out of school will hurt their social development among other things so I applaud him for doing that as well.

I was walking the dog yesterday and ran into a neighborhood friend. She said her kids were always in session but she knew people that were virtual for months and there was usually a day or two a week where they didn't even do anything. I hope this isn't common (I fear it is) and that these young kids aren't going to be too far behind.

We will feel the ramifications of the past year academically and socially in our children for at least the next 4 years, if not substantially longer, in houses that don't/haven't had the parents and/or resources to help their children. That's unfortunately a fact.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

I have to think there is a bit of seasonality at play here. The cases in my area in upstate NY have been staying stubbornly stagnant for nearly a month now. The percent positive is actually creeping up again to 3%. We're more open than NYC, but we've also been dealing with a lot of cold, rainy spring days unlike many areas south of us. 

How have the total number of tests changed? Since half the population is vaccinated and the people who got vaccinated earliest were also likely the most compliant about getting tested regularly if they had symptoms, part of the increase might be more about the denominator than anything else.

2nd shot down. Moderna. Waiting on inevitable side effects. Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. The general consensus among people close to me who got their 2nd Moderna dose is side effects almost exactly 12 hours later, then all side effects gone entirely 12 hours after that. Hopefully that is what I get.

My wife got knocked on her butt by both doses, but she had COVID back in December.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How have the total number of tests changed? Since half the population is vaccinated and the people who got vaccinated earliest were also likely the most compliant about getting tested regularly if they had symptoms, part of the increase might be more about the denominator than anything else.

Im sure that's playing a role. The rate of testing has decreased over the month of April, but hospitalizations have also increased during April, though they do seem to be slowing down a bit (still slightly increasing)

It's very strange. Ive checked on other counties in NY, and cases seem to be falling there. Even in Erie County, which is where Buffalo is located, is showing a decrease in cases and percent positive. They have similar weather to my county, so Im a bit perplexed by all of this.

I'm beginning to think this virus just wants to f*** with me at this point. I will say, though, up until the fall time we were ranked as one of the best  counties in cases per 100,000 in the entire country (we actuallymay have been first), but we were creamed this winter. Perhaps we're just at a lower level of natural immunity compared to the rest of NY.

Rumor is the CDC is going to drop the recommendations for fully vaccinated people to wear masks indoors. That's a HUGE step back to normality. I have to wonder if all the pressure and negative press surrounding how conservative they've been has pushed them to this narrative. Makes sense even though there are break through cases. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/13/cdc-says-fully-vaccinated-people-dont-need-to-wear-face-masks-indoors-or-outdoors-in-most-settings.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

Im sure that's playing a role. The rate of testing has decreased over the month of April, but hospitalizations have also increased during April, though they do seem to be slowing down a bit (still slightly increasing)

It's very strange. Ive checked on other counties in NY, and cases seem to be falling there. Even in Erie County, which is where Buffalo is located, is showing a decrease in cases and percent positive. They have similar weather to my county, so Im a bit perplexed by all of this.

I'm beginning to think this virus just wants to f*** with me at this point. I will say, though, up until the fall time we were ranked as one of the best  counties in cases per 100,000 in the entire country (we actuallymay have been first), but we were creamed this winter. Perhaps we're just at a lower level of natural immunity compared to the rest of NY.

That describes Madison WI almost perfectly. Way ahead on vaccinations and fairly decent on infection rates, but hospitalizations have crept up. I'm guessing it's variant related because I have no idea what else to make of it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Rumor is the CDC is going to drop the recommendations for fully vaccinated people to wear masks indoors. That's a HUGE step back to normality. I have to wonder if all the pressure and negative press surrounding how conservative they've been has pushed them to this narrative. Makes sense even though there are break through cases. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/13/cdc-says-fully-vaccinated-people-dont-need-to-wear-face-masks-indoors-or-outdoors-in-most-settings.html

Wow, indoor with non vaccinated people? That is big. Not sure about pressure. But hopefully not.

19 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

My state is at 70% for adults, its just about time. More and more positive findings are coming out that vaccinated people do not perpetuate the spread. If the numbers are true, this is a no brainer decision as most of the country is vaxxed up. I still imagine most private places and businesses to require it until maks recommendations are lifted for unvaxxed people as well, impossible to regulate who is or isnt and it will just cause numerous and unneeded issues not keeping it uniform for all. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That describes Madison WI almost perfectly. Way ahead on vaccinations and fairly decent on infection rates, but hospitalizations have crept up. I'm guessing it's variant related because I have no idea what else to make of it.

I have to think it's the NY variant at play here. The good news is deaths have fallen off a cliff since the winter surge. The 7-day average is only 1 death per day, which tells me it's the younger adults who are either dragging their feet or completely neglecting the vaccine. The dumb dumbs are playing with fire and getting burned. 

26 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

This would absolutely be the biggest step towards normalcy yet. And it totally makes sense; studies show fully vaccinated people don't spread COVID and don't get COVID. Even in cases that they do, the symptoms are greatly alleviated.

I think this would also be a fresh wave of honesty. We know the above to be facts. The CDC should acknowledge them and react accordingly, rather than greatly erring towards caution. I know myself and a lot of others are pretty fed up of being told fully vaccinated people need to continue to wear masks when there is no data to back that up.

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

This would absolutely be the biggest step towards normalcy yet. And it totally makes sense; studies show fully vaccinated people don't spread COVID and don't get COVID. Even in cases that they do, the symptoms are greatly alleviated.

I think this would also be a fresh wave of honesty. We know the above to be facts. The CDC should acknowledge them and react accordingly, rather than greatly erring towards caution. I know myself and a lot of others are pretty fed up of being told fully vaccinated people need to continue to wear masks when there is no data to back that up.

There wasn't concrete data to prove they shouldnt either until recently. 

• Like 1