Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

45 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

What isn't changing: Walz says the Safe Learning Plan for schools will continue through the end of the school year as children are not yet eligible for the vaccine.

This is what I eluded to earlier that I am completely on board with/understand.

The death rate globally is estimated to be double what it is listed now. A lot of  people in government royally screwed up to say the least.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/05/06/new-analysis-finds-global-covid-death-toll-is-double-official-estimates/

A new analysis of the toll of the Covid-19 pandemic suggests 6.9 million people worldwide have died from the disease, more than twice as many people as has been officially reported.

In the United States, the analysis estimates, 905,000 people have died of Covid since the start of the pandemic. That is about 38% higher than the current death estimate from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 561,594. The new figure also surpasses the estimated number of U.S. deaths in the 1918 flu pandemic, which was estimated to have killed approximately 675,000 Americans.

The analysis was conducted by scientists at the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation.

The estimates are of deaths directly related to Covid, and do not include deaths that resulted from the pandemic’s disruption of health care — for example, people who did not seek care for heart attacks because they were afraid to go to Covid-swamped hospitals.

19 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/walz-all-covid-business-restrictions-end-may-28-mask-mandate-to-follow-july-1

Noon, May 7: Removal of limits for outdoor dining, events, and other get-togethers, and ends the mask requirement outdoors except at large venues with over 500 people. This could see full capacity return to, for example, Twins and Minnesota United games.

The 11 p.m. mandatory closing time for bars, restaurants, and other food and drink businesses will also come to an end.

May 28: Remaining capacity and distancing limits will come to an end, including for indoor events and gatherings.

The only requirements that will remain will be face mask requirements for indoor and outdoor events with more than 500 people. 

July 1 (or sooner if Minnesota hits 70% of adults vaccinated): The remaining face mask mandate ends, as does the requirement for businesses to have COVID preparedness plans. Local governments/cities can implement their own face mask mandates if they wish, as can private businesses.

At the current rate of vaccinations, Minnesota should reach 70% of adults vaccinated by June 8, though this may be pushed back as rates are slowing.

What isn't changing: Walz says the Safe Learning Plan for schools will continue through the end of the school year as children are not yet eligible for the vaccine.

Also staying in place is the eviction moratorium, the ban on price gouging, and eligibility exemptions for state services. 

This sounds very good. Well done Walz and Minnesota as a whole for distributing/getting vaccines.

NJ should be close behind on this. Last I checked, we were at 54% total, not just adult, population having at least 1 shot.

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

This sounds very good. Well done Walz and Minnesota as a whole for distributing/getting vaccines.

NJ should be close behind on this. Last I checked, we were at 54% total, not just adult, population having at least 1 shot.

I'd support this if NY did the same thing. I'd actually want them to do it based on regions like we've done for reopening. Last I checked my regiond was at 64% of all adults rcving at least one dose. We're doing about 1.5% of the total population every week. The rate for adults vaccinated is def higher than that, but Im not sure how much higher.

I think we'd be dropping mask mandates right around July if we followed this plan. Maybe sooner if it lights a fire under people's ***** to get vaccinated. 

Sunlight Inactivates Coronavirus 8 Times Faster Than Predicted. We Need to Know Why.

https://www.sciencealert.com/sunlight-inactivates-sars-cov-2-a-lot-faster-than-predicted-and-we-need-to-work-out-why

The novel coronavirus’ spike protein plays additional key role in illness

Salk researchers and collaborators show how the protein damages cells, confirming COVID-19 as a primarily vascular disease

https://www.salk.edu/news-release/the-novel-coronavirus-spike-protein-plays-additional-key-role-in-illness/

Start-up InsectSense and Wageningen Bioveterinary Research have trained bees to extend their tongues when they smell the coronavirus. The coronavirus, like other diseases, causes metabolic changes in the body that causes a smell. Bees can be trained within minutes to recognize the scent of samples infected with SARS-CoV-2.

https://www.wur.nl/en/news-wur/Show/Training-bees-to-smell-the-coronavirus.htm

10 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

if only there were some sort of “covid test” that’d eliminate the need to do weird **** with bees to find out if people have it or not 😛 

No Way What GIF

On 5/7/2021 at 5:03 PM, Deadpulse said:

feel that. I had zero energy 

When did you start feeling it?

I was poked with my second Pfizer shot a little over three hours ago. First one I just had a sore arm the next day. 

25 minutes ago, swoosh said:

When did you start feeling it?

I was poked with my second Pfizer shot a little over three hours ago. First one I just had a sore arm the next day. 

Withy my Pfizer, I got very sleepy about 12 hours after the shot.

• Like 1