Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

15 minutes ago, theJ said:

There's really hardly any restrictions anymore.  I hear people complain that COVID is causing disruption in their lives, but i'm not seeing how anymore.  You can go anywhere and do anything.  You're just doing it while wearing a mask.  

I'm not so sure about that. My work isn't going to let up on the restrictions until we reach a certain number of cases locally, and even after that, it's a 3 step process until we get back to normal. 

I'm slowly finding myself in the "once everyone has access to the vaccine, open everything up" crowd and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I've been strongly in the mask/restriction/vaccine crowd from the beginning but I feel like once everyone is able to get it, there is no reason not to. Those who want it will get it done and those who don't will be aware of the risks and won't. Waiting a couple extra months in hopes that they change their mind isn't going to be worth it, and using the vaccine as essentially a bribe to open everything up is just going to cause an uproar. Those who have it will be annoyed they are still operating restricted after months and those who don't will just continue their annoyance about the restrictions. Not to mention that a person who has not gotten the vaccine will have no motivation to do so if the restrictions/safety precautions continue. 

I just don't see the reasoning behind delaying normalcy once everyone who wants the vaccine is able to get it. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, MWil23 said:

And should the CDC make that decision and other governors try to implement this, there will be a mass mutiny that they will have on their hands. This is a basic sociological fact. You can't preach the vaccine being the end game, then go back on your word when 20-30% of the population refuses to get it, nor can you make it mandatory for everyone and hold them down against their will and give it to them.

Could not agree more tbh

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The whole context of what I was saying is in response to Deadpulse on not reaching herd immunity and continuing lockdowns even when we were at 70% vaccination, for what it's worth.

For sure, we agree. I responded to "sell me on your solution" literally.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Malfatron said:

i suggest that you stop further responses :)

Agreed. I'd hate to say something silly like I'm dependent on an organization for something w/in my control. 

/my comments

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

For sure, we agree. I responded to "sell me on your solution" literally.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

And for the record, I actually understand my particular employment restrictions. Given that the vaccine isn't readily available for the demographic that I work with/am in a building with, while I'm frustrated with the mandates/restrictions, I do understand them.

Having to coach OUTSIDE in triple digit heat last year without our training staff being able to provide water and the in building drinking fountains turned off, in a mask, was unbearable.

Having the CDC rule on outside not having to wear masks was an absolute positive game changer for me going forward.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

And for the record, I actually understand my particular employment restrictions. Given that the vaccine isn't readily available for the demographic that I work with/am in a building with, while I'm frustrated with the mandates/restrictions, I do understand them.

Having to coach OUTSIDE in triple digit heat last year without our training staff being able to provide water and the in building drinking fountains turned off, in a mask, was unbearable.

Having the CDC rule on outside not having to wear masks was an absolute positive game changer for me going forward.

I get it too, and still follow the rules. 

Granted, this is anecdotal and vaccine denial is a multi-faceted thing, so I'm not pretending that this is a magic bullet or anything. But I went to visit family recently after a year+ because pretty much everyone is vaccinated now, and my most insane, but not most hated Uncle pretty much lead off the "hi, how are you" follow up with "not getting the vaccine". He knows what I do and immediately tried to get into 5G stuff, so he's obviously trying to troll. I don't think he was ready for me responding "that's fine, if you get sick best of luck to you".

Like I said, vaccine denial is multi-faceted and complex. I'm not pretending that we don't need to do more in terms of outreach or that some of those 30% don't have valid reasons. But some part of that 30% are also trolling, and are getting off on not going with the program. Ignoring them takes that power away. Will my uncle ever end up getting it? Probably not. But I check the 65+ age group in Wisconsin and my county, it had leveled off around 80% originally, but its at 93% and has been still trickling up by 0.1% every few days. There are trolls or other vaccine skeptical people that are quietly getting their shots after the rush. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I get it too, and still follow the rules. 

Granted, this is anecdotal and vaccine denial is a multi-faceted thing, so I'm not pretending that this is a magic bullet or anything. But I went to visit family recently after a year+ because pretty much everyone is vaccinated now, and my most insane, but not most hated Uncle pretty much lead off the "hi, how are you" follow up with "not getting the vaccine". He knows what I do and immediately tried to get into 5G stuff, so he's obviously trying to troll. I don't think he was ready for me responding "that's fine, if you get sick best of luck to you".

Like I said, vaccine denial is multi-faceted and complex. I'm not pretending that we don't need to do more in terms of outreach or that some of those 30% don't have valid reasons. But some part of that 30% are also trolling, and are getting off on not going with the program. Ignoring them takes that power away. Will my uncle ever end up getting it? Probably not. But I check the 65+ age group in Wisconsin and my county, it had leveled off around 80% originally, but its at 93% and has been still trickling up by 0.1% every few days. There are trolls or other vaccine skeptical people that are quietly getting their shots after the rush. 

No doubt. There is also a demographic of people that I feel badly for, such as those who are pregnant, those who have been advised not to due to having/recovering from cancer and other ailments in which mixing the drugs and treatments could be considerably negative, and minors.

Past that, many of that 30% demographic is screaming for "medical freedom", so all the best to them going forward.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

The 10 person rule is still in effect here in Ohio, including parties, restaurants, and gatherings of any kind. That's a major disruption. 

It's not being enforced.  Weddings, graduation parties, etc are still going on.  There's a wedding venue right around the corner from me, and i saw 150+ people there last week.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

It's not being enforced.  Weddings, graduation parties, etc are still going on.  There's a wedding venue right around the corner from me, and i saw 150+ people there last week.

It was enforced where I live yesterday, on our outside restaurant gathering, despite all 11 of us being vaccinated. :) 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

It was enforced where I live yesterday, on our outside restaurant gathering, despite all 11 of us being vaccinated. :) 

You must live in Nazi Germany.  Your story is the only one i've heard of anything being broken up.

20 minutes ago, theJ said:

You must live in Nazi Germany.  Your story is the only one i've heard of anything being broken up.

Dayton. I felt bad for the waitress. She was overly apologetic and I really felt badly for her. We smiled and dispersed, but I'm sure most don't give that reaction.

• Like 1

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/walz-all-covid-business-restrictions-end-may-28-mask-mandate-to-follow-july-1

Noon, May 7: Removal of limits for outdoor dining, events, and other get-togethers, and ends the mask requirement outdoors except at large venues with over 500 people. This could see full capacity return to, for example, Twins and Minnesota United games.

The 11 p.m. mandatory closing time for bars, restaurants, and other food and drink businesses will also come to an end.

May 28: Remaining capacity and distancing limits will come to an end, including for indoor events and gatherings.

The only requirements that will remain will be face mask requirements for indoor and outdoor events with more than 500 people. 

July 1 (or sooner if Minnesota hits 70% of adults vaccinated): The remaining face mask mandate ends, as does the requirement for businesses to have COVID preparedness plans. Local governments/cities can implement their own face mask mandates if they wish, as can private businesses.

At the current rate of vaccinations, Minnesota should reach 70% of adults vaccinated by June 8, though this may be pushed back as rates are slowing.

What isn't changing: Walz says the Safe Learning Plan for schools will continue through the end of the school year as children are not yet eligible for the vaccine.

Also staying in place is the eviction moratorium, the ban on price gouging, and eligibility exemptions for state services. 

• Like 2