Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/13/cdc-says-fully-vaccinated-people-dont-need-to-wear-face-masks-indoors-or-outdoors-in-most-settings.html

Fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a face mask or stay 6 feet away from others in most settings, whether outdoors or indoors, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in updated public health guidance released Thursday.

There are a handful of instances where people will still need to wear masks — in a health-care setting or at a business that requires them — even if they’ve had their final vaccine dose two or more weeks ago, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky told reporters at a press briefing. Fully vaccinated people will still need to wear masks on airplanes, buses, trains and other public transportation, she said.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

Rumor is the CDC is going to drop the recommendations for fully vaccinated people to wear masks indoors. That's a HUGE step back to normality. I have to wonder if all the pressure and negative press surrounding how conservative they've been has pushed them to this narrative. Makes sense even though there are break through cases. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/13/cdc-says-fully-vaccinated-people-dont-need-to-wear-face-masks-indoors-or-outdoors-in-most-settings.html

how is that going to happen?  are we going to be required to bring our cards showing we took both shots everywhere we go?

5 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

well driving without a license is illegal.

This wont be, private business will just refuse you entry which is their right. 

oh dont get me wrong, i carry my card everywhere with me but we all know there are foolish people out there that dont. 

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

how is that going to happen?  are we going to be required to bring our cards showing we took both shots everywhere we go?

Not everywhere, but any place that wants to make entry to their place contingent on you verifying vaccination has the right to do so.

Moreover, the general model at most places is going to be that we’re ever approaching the *if you’re going to pretend you’re vaccinated and put yourself at risk, that’s a you problem* stage of all of this. Don’t expect that you’re going to get carded to go into the grocery store after your specific state lifts any mandate requiring masks, but you may have to if you want to get into a specific sports stadium or to fly. And still bring a mask with you because even with the updated guidelines and state mandates lifted, some places may still require masks for a while. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:
4 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

There wasn't concrete data to prove they shouldnt either until recently. 

I guess you're right. It was only about 2 weeks ago that I read an article on those studies.

Yup. The last CDC update to guidelines was 16 days ago. In the last two weeks, we got a bunch of new data that showed vaccines are as effective on this large scale exactly as the data for the trials showed, that the vaccinated are equally as protected against the variant strains, and that asymptomatic transmission from vaccinated people to unvaccinated are virtually non-existent. Once all of that data came in, it was just a matter of how long it would take them to review and verify everything before this update happened. Within two weeks seems reasonable.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, pwny said:

Yup. The last CDC update to guidelines was 16 days ago. In the last two weeks, we got a bunch of new data that showed vaccines are as effective on this large scale exactly as the data for the trials showed, that the vaccinated are equally as protected against the variant strains, and that asymptomatic transmission from vaccinated people to unvaccinated are virtually non-existent. Once all of that data came in, it was just a matter of how long it would take them to review and verify everything before this update happened. Within two weeks seems reasonable.

Agreed, but the Pfizer vaccine did lose a bit of effectiveness against asymptomatic infection in regards to the SA variant. I believe it dropped from 90% effective to 77% effective. Not that that's a bad thing. 77% effective against infection is still incredible, especially considering the SA variant is the most concerning one as of late, though the one ravaging India may make a case for that now.

As you said, asymptomatic transmission seems to be greatly reduced due to the viral load of vaccinated individuals. Also, per the usual, the mRNA vaccines still do an incredible job at preventing severe cases even against the most worrisome variants (almost 100% effective against hospitalizations). 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01222-5

Edited by WizeGuy

On 4/6/2021 at 9:35 AM, MWil23 said:

If true, put me firmly in the "completely open up by June 1" camp. Those who willfully choose not to have that right. Let's quit thinking about them and move on with our lives.

On 4/7/2021 at 1:59 PM, MWil23 said:

And again, by June 1, we can't continue to live like this just hoping that somehow the anti-vaxx crowd will have changed their minds. That's my point...not now, but projecting forward. 

On 4/7/2021 at 4:11 PM, MWil23 said:

I’m saying that the expectation for people to wear masks for the rest of eternity is ludicrous. That’s been my entire issue with the whole “wait for the vaccine” argument for over a year. It’s a virus and can and will mutate. Let’s rollout the vaccine and then come back to normal as best as possible. It’s beyond time come June 1.

On 4/7/2021 at 8:38 PM, MWil23 said:

Where did I say I would be upset for having to show vaccine proof? I’m saying that literally I have been vaccinated and shouldn’t have to wear a mask past June 1 because at that point everyone will have had the opportunity to have been vaccinated, and if they choose not to, that’s their fault and off my conscience. They’ve thumbed their nose for the last 14 months. I’ll return serve after June 1.

On 5/12/2021 at 6:14 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I stand corrected. We're ending ours June 2nd. 

@ramssuperbowl99 @Xenos @BobbyPhil1781 @mission27 

Mike DeWine did an extra day just to troll me.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Should let you win the lottery just to make up for it 😂

I'd even settle for my wife winning. ;) 

LOL, we had a random impromptu 30 minute discussion on what we'd do if we won it