Raiders sign DE Yannick Ngakoue (2 years, $26M)

RaidersAreOne

35 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

that no-tag provision stings a bit hah. but i cant blame him for negotiating that in. he's definitely getting paid under market value for the next 2 years

That’s just the price of paying 2y, 26m for an elite edge rusher in his prime (26,27) years.  He’s going to try and hit the market at 28 and get that big deal he’s never gotten.  In essence he’s on a 2in1 prove it deal.

2 hours ago, Turnobili said:

im not convinced Ferrell is a better interior rusher than Hurst

Idk I’m not convinced Hurst is anything more than a 3rd DT, albeit a good one.  I Was so happy to get him.... and he’s shown promise.... but hasn’t ever fully gotten me Excited that he’s turning the corner.

Last year was a major disappointment for me.  He went from 29 pressures and 3.5 Sacks to 13/0.... albeit I fully admit the Pressure % stayed nearly the same (9.9% vs 9.4), as he just more then half less snaps.  And 9%+ pressure rate is very good.  

Idk.... even when he Had 29 hurries in ‘19 I wasn’t impressed.... I always felt there was so much more he had in him yet wasn’t putting it onto the field.

I really hope he breaks out.... I’d be a really big benefit to us. I’m a big fan of Hurst, just a little jaded at the moment.

The one thing Hurst doesn’t have though is length.... and I’m very big on length on the DL.... it gives you larger tackling radius and really helps with twists / stunts.... which I’m a big proponent of as a way to scheme added pressure.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Idk I’m not convinced Hurst is anything more than a 3rd DT, albeit a good one.  I Was so happy to get him.... and he’s shown promise.... but hasn’t ever fully gotten me Excited that he’s turning the corner.

Last year was a major disappointment for me.  He went from 29 pressures and 3.5 Sacks to 13/0.... albeit I fully admit the Pressure % stayed nearly the same (9.9% vs 9.4), as he just more then half less snaps.  And 9%+ pressure rate is very good.  

Idk.... even when he Had 29 hurries in ‘19 I wasn’t impressed.... I always felt there was so much more he had in him yet wasn’t putting it onto the field.

I really hope he breaks out.... I’d be a really big benefit to us. I’m a big fan of Hurst, just a little jaded at the moment.

The one thing Hurst doesn’t have though is length.... and I’m very big on length on the DL.... it gives you larger tackling radius and really helps with twists / stunts.... which I’m a big proponent of as a way to scheme added pressure.

yeah... especially when those snaps undeservingly went to maliek collins who didnt get any pressures. i dont think hurst is a worldbeater but he's a solid pass rushing DT. Cle hasn't proven that he is a solid interior rusher.

2 hours ago, Turnobili said:

yeah... especially when those snaps undeservingly went to maliek collins who didnt get any pressures. i dont think hurst is a worldbeater but he's a solid pass rushing DT. Cle hasn't proven that he is a solid interior rusher.

Don’t get me started on Collins... I hated his guts from a week after signing him and I watched his tape.... and I bad mouthed him to no end .... and no one would believe me!  
Cle’s like a fine wine “just give him time”.... dontcha know?

Really excited about this pick up. I think due to his outbursts against the Jags and the subsequent moves made me consider him less. And I would be a bit concerned if it weren’t for Bradley.

But what he could bring far outweighs any risk. A difference maker on our sorry defense. An actual bone fide speed rusher. How long since we’ve had one. Have we ever had speed on the edge? Every season we fantasise about getting some speed and pass rush on the edge.

I also really like how he compliments Crosby and Ferrell. Between them they cover all the traits you look for on the edge. Hopefully it will light a fire up their arses too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Really excited about this pick up. I think due to his outbursts against the Jags and the subsequent moves made me consider him less. And I would be a bit concerned if it weren’t for Bradley.

But what he could bring far outweighs any risk. A difference maker on our sorry defense. An actual bone fide speed rusher. How long since we’ve had one. Have we ever had speed on the edge? Every season we fantasise about getting some speed and pass rush on the edge.

I also really like how he compliments Crosby and Ferrell. Between them they cover all the traits you look for on the edge. Hopefully it will light a fire up their arses too.

whats interesting about that jags saga is that jags fans on this forum have largely blamed Coughlin for alienating all the jags star players. when the fans are sympathetic to a player wanting out... that usually means something.

as a fit, its hard to think of a better match. yannick is a speed rusher who thrives when rushing from a wide alignment, and isnt a good run defender. in bradley's scheme, the LEO tends to be a smaller pass rusher who will line up wide. since they line up on the weak side, they will not usually have run plays go directly at them. basically, the LEO's main role is the make the QB's life miserable. if there is a run play toward him, like a counter, since its the weak side, the defense will usually have the numbers there, and yannick's responsibility will be to not get completely washed by the tackle and hold just enough of an edge to funnel the run toward the linebacker

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I just can't get over the value. Has put up pretty elite #'s since enter the league, is 25 years old, plays a premiere position and reunites with a former coach he excelled under. Sure he is one dimensional but we haven't had a viable player at that one dimension in years. This is an enormous get for us.

I echo this too, was not keen on going after Ngakoue if I'm honest but that was thinking about him getting 16 to 20 mil per year from us. I expected us to get desperate and vastly overpay 😔 At the same cost as Agholor that totally changed the complexion of the signing for me.

I have to try and be logical as obviously after signing with the Raiders the temptation is to try and 'sell' myself on the idea of him as a genuine top quality pass rusher but the more I think about it, at that price it does really make sense. He fits the role that we were missing in the speed, bendy edge rusher role. He's worked with and had great success with our current DC before. He can compliment the existing guys we have and the numbers are not prohibitive but give him motivation almost to try and prove himself for a great deal in 2 years time.

So long as we add interior presence I think I may have been wrong and it could be a great signing. Am I just seeing this through rose coloured glasses? Have I sold myself on the idea too easily? 

39 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

So long as we add interior presence I think I may have been wrong and it could be a great signing. Am I just seeing this through rose coloured glasses? Have I sold myself on the idea too easily? 

#1 EDGE in pressures since 2016. 27th EDGE in AAV. That's a steal. You don't need any kind of glasses.

5 hours ago, reddevil said:

I mean Crosby has had more sacks than ngakoue since he’s been in the league. How much fire does he need?