Raiders release C Rodney Hudson

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think we have discussed the the reasons for the late season drop off in play in the Raiders forum for months now and I do not think a single person has brought up Hudson or Miller as being an issue.  I do believe Cable's history of have a trash o-line after a couple years, Gruden's stale and predictable play calling, o-line injuries, and Jacobs not being able to hold up for an entire year have.   

4 minutes ago, nevetslc said:

I could see why this might be an issue when signing new FAs or existing players to new contracts, but I can't see how that applies to releasing Rodney Hudson.

In general I'm skeptical of the whole "cash poor" excuse that was always used when the Raiders were in Oakland. They're about to make a fortune in Vegas. Even if the funds aren't immediately available it can't be too hard to borrow some with a huge windfall on the horizon.

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

From Vic

and there have been loud whispers for a while about Hudson’s frustration with the Raiders only having one winning season in his six with them. Plus, the staff is very high on his backup, Andre James.

So, when the two sides met and Hudson said he would be willing to void the $3.5 million guarantee that kicked in last month if he was released, Jon Gruden said yes rather quickly. (Former NFL quarterback Mark Sanchez first reported the request.)

The Raiders still take a $12.1 million salary-cap hit — which is now less than the $13.6 million cap hit if he had stayed — and there is no dead-cap hit next year. Plus, the Raiders save $9.9 million in cash, no small detail for a team that did not host fans at its home games due to the pandemic.

Vic is one of the lead Raider beat guys. Sounds like Rodney wanted out and Gruden (of course not Mayock) was content they are high on James and we save a good chunk of cap next season. Meh, still so bummed.