Trent Williams staying with 49ers

teude

Williams is a baller but I hope for SF’s sake that he has an Andrew Whitworth like finish to his career.  Problem being Whitworth only missed 2 games in the 7 years before moving to LAR.   Williams has missed at least 3 games each year since 2016 although the holdout explains 2019.   Whitworth is more of the unicorn for contracts extending into mid-late 30’s.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Why in the world would the Texans accept any deal from the 49ers? They would have to at the very least include Bosa, I would imagine. Otherwise Panthers, Dolphins, and Denver can easily offer better trade packages.

Well yes, Bosa would certainly have to be included in the package to get the deal done.

Something like 2021 1st, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, Bosa and then throw in a 2nd rounder.

Or maybe 2 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders and Bosa. You have to think Bosa has a value of two first rounders himself, so that would at least get the Niners in conversation to get a deal done. But I mean will the Texans even take any calls for Watson this year? 

30 minutes ago, FinSting said:

An almost 33-year-old lineman gets $55.1M guaranteed? This is...unusual. 

Dude was arguably the best tackle in the game last season and is a supreme athlete. Betting on him to play at a high level for the next three years isn't crazy or anything. The OL is putrid in pass protection so losing the first one by a mile was going to put the team in an extremely tough position, regardless of who the QB is. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well yes, Bosa would certainly have to be included in the package to get the deal done.

Something like 2021 1st, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, Bosa and then throw in a 2nd rounder.

Or maybe 2 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders and Bosa. You have to think Bosa has a value of two first rounders himself, so that would at least get the Niners in conversation to get a deal done. But I mean will the Texans even take any calls for Watson this year? 

Bosa is also on his rookie contract. A bonus. 

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Bosa is also on his rookie contract. A bonus. 

Exactly, if he was put on the market today, a team would give up two first rounders for him since he is only in year three of his rookie deal. He's pretty much the wildcard that can even things out in a trade package for Watson. The Niners will never be able to compete with other teams in terms of draft picks value, but Bosa makes it interesting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Williams is a baller but I hope for SF’s sake that he has an Andrew Whitworth like finish to his career.  Problem being Whitworth only missed 2 games in the 7 years before moving to LAR.   Williams has missed at least 3 games each year since 2016 although the holdout explains 2019.   Whitworth is more of the unicorn for contracts extending into mid-late 30’s.  

The only games he missed last year were covid related, I'm pretty sure. 

The good news is that it wouldn't be completely atypical for tackles to play out until 36 and still be playing at a high level. Whitworth, as you mentioned, and our very own Joe Staley just did that.

But damn, it's scary taking that kind of shot.  That's why a lot of niner fans wanted to have Trent back but had considered the logic of going with a draft pick at LT. 

4 year deal I'd assume (the 6th year is no doubt fluff as there is no dead cap attached to it and obviously no guaranteed). 

Obviously I would have preferred bigger, guaranteed base salaries the first two years with a smaller signing bonus, but the team is a little paralyzed by Jimmy right now. He's shown enough that they don't want to cut bait, but hasn't shown enough that they want to restructure him and keep him tied into the team longer. 

Trent is a beast, but that’s always been primarily due to his freakish athleticism. I’m pretty sure that athleticism will fall off a cliff sometime within this 6-year period. 

Sad the weak compensation we got for trading him. Another mark against Snyder. 

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Trent is a beast, but that’s always been primarily due to his freakish athleticism. I’m pretty sure that athleticism will fall off a cliff sometime within this 6-year period. 

Its not really a 6 year deal. I'd expect it to be a 4 year deal but you're able to get out of it after 3 year with about half dead money 

4 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Real glad the Chiefs didn't get that. Too much $$$ and too long term for a guy near the end of his career.

Without juxtaposing the two deals, I think I'd rather have Trent than Thuney at their respective contracts. Trent might be older, but by the time the guaranteed money runs out on this deal, he'll be the same age as Duane Brown, who is still playing like a Pro Bowl LT. If he played out this entire contract, he'd still be younger than Andrew Whitworth. 

He's a shield in pass pro and a bully in the run game. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Real glad the Chiefs didn't get that. Too much $$$ and too long term for a guy near the end of his career.

Going to be a lot of fluff there. The 6th year is there for possible restructure purposes down the line and with no guaranteed or dead money, is otherwise inconsequential. 

My guess is that this deal is actually more along the lines of 3 years, 60 million cap hit + 12 dead in year 4 / 3 years & 72M cash. The 4th year is likely a toss up on whether he's kept at that juncture. If he makes it through year 4, I wouldn't be surprised if it's like 4 years, 84 cap / 90 cash. That would put him at about 21m/ season on cap and 22.5 / cash. That basically puts him a little below Bakh and maybe a little over Tunsil.