Worst non-trades?

Nut

On 3/24/2021 at 6:44 PM, AkronsWitness said:

The Cavs not trading JJ Hickson for Amar'e Stoudemire in 2006. Embarrassing.

Haha if we are adding basketball to the mix....Kobe wanted to come to the Bulls, like was hype about it, and the Bulls refused to give up Luol Deng. I get it in a sense because it would have been the equivalent of OKC demanding Kawahii for Paul George and defeats the point, but still.....you gotta do it.

For the Bears Im not sure. Just holding on to draft picks when we didnt need too.

On 3/24/2021 at 11:09 AM, Jeezla said:

The Chip kelly Eagles offer for Mariota. Titans should have taken the trade.

Both sides came out after that one and said there was no offer like that on the table.  Had it been (if both sides were trying to save face), then yeah, it would have been an insane non-trade.

There was a rumor of the Packers offering a 1st and 3rd for Larry Johnson just after his 400 carries season. At the time, I wanted this trade even though most of our offense ran through him.

Just looked up some more details: It was in 2007 and the rumor is a 1st(#16) and a 4th(#112) for a 28 year old Larry Johnson.

1. I don't know the details, but in 2003, Mike Shanahan tried to trade up into the top-10 to get Terrell Suggs (according to the Denver Post. I used to get the sports page delivered to my inbox back then).

2. In 1995, the Eagles almost acquired Mark Brunell from Green Bay, but he didn't want the length of contract that they were offering (too long). Before they could complete a deal, Jacksonville swooped in and stole him (another note: Jimmy Smith was in Eagles camp in 1994. He was working well with Randall Cunningham, but that idiot, Rich Kotite, kept WR/KR Jeff Sydner instead. Smith and Brunell could have came of age in Philly instead of Jacksonville).

Now I don't know for a fact that Miami would have traded up to #3 to get Tua. I mean, he was their guy and all, I feel there's a good chance, but what I DO know is that the Lions threw away any chance at making that deal by completely ignoring Tua in the pre-draft process and then signing Chase "people pay me money for no good reason" Daniel like two weeks before the draft. Instead they drafted a CB at #3 who mostly looked like crap as a rookie.

I don't know if this fits the thread since there's no verifiable offer the Lions turned down but that whole scenario was just complete malfeasance by Bob Quinn

Edited by Superduperman

Back in 2016 when Laremy Tunsil had that infamous video leak during the draft the Jets, Mike Macaggnan, tried to move up for him. We couldn't find a deal until the Jets got jumped TWICE by Tennessee for Conklin and Chicago for Floyd.

Macaggnan was talking the Giants about moving up the price was our 1st, 2nd and 4th and Macaggnan thought it was too much. Those picks turned out to be Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg and Juston Burris. 

But here's where it gets interesting. 

In 2017 because we had drafted Hackenberg in 2016, who we did not develop properly at all, we avoided going QB and passed on Watson and didn't even scout Mahomes. 

So in short if we moved 1/2/4 for 10th overall we get Tunsil and then the next year we get Watson instead of Adams and then in 2018 instead of Darnold we get Chubb or Nelson or McGlinchey or Fitzpatrick(Minkah) or Derwin or Jaire.

Dolphins never get Tunsil who they ship to Houston, who never get Watson because he's on the Jets and then they cant multiply Tunsil into 3 additional first rounders.

49ers then never mortgage their future by moving up to #3 because the team sitting there needs a QB because they dont have Watson, the Jets do. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

So in short if we moved 1/2/4 for 10th overall we get Tunsil and then the next year we get Watson instead of Adams and then in 2018 instead of Darnold we get Chubb or Nelson or McGlinchey or Fitzpatrick(Minkah) or Derwin or Jaire.

You had me up until the 2018 portion, because it's likely that if/when you get Watson, you don't end up with the #2 pick, and it's hard to gauge the Watson portion as well because the Browns traded that pick to the Texans. But yes, I see what you mean on those cause and effect drafts. It's something we've talked about for a LONG time as Browns fans.

On 3/24/2021 at 2:57 PM, Johnny Nix said:

The Bengals were offered a 2nd and 3rd for AJ McCarron but both teams didn’t get the paperwork turned in time. 

That was intentional by the Browns GM saving the owner from himself.

Worst non trade was freaking Mike Brown turning down the saints offer of their entire draft and the following year's first rounder so they could take Run Run Rickey.

Mike Brown took...... Akili Smith.  The team took years to recover.  Actually it took almost two decades, but who's counting?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Mike Brown took...... Akili Smith.  The team took years to recover.  Actually it took almost two decades, but who's counting?

That was when the Bengals were recovering from the Dave Shula error, and they had to recover from this on top of that. What a sad franchise.

• Like 1

Bud Dupree, and the way we handled his contract was bonafide idiotic. 

He didn’t perform for four straight seasons until we pulled the 5th year option. Then, he has his best career season in 2019 and that was when we should have been looking to trade him.  

But no, we use the tag on him and he tears his ACL last season so we forced ourselves into a corner where we have to cut him from the team to free up the cap space.  

Dupree had a “First Team All Pro”kind of season in 2019.  We could have received a lot for him if we would have tried to trade him.  

But, that’s the thing with Pittsburgh.  They’re great in the draft, and terribly indecisive in the off-season.  

On 3/25/2021 at 10:44 PM, ninjapirate said:

Foles sucks though you have to take that into account.

Still would have taken Foles over Wentz.

I think everybody in Philadelphia would have too.  

You also totally forget that he could have taken Philadelphia right back to the Super Bowl again in 2018 if dumb Alston Jeffrey would have caught the football.  

And, Foles signed with a terrible organization that didn’t treat him right at all.  Jacksonville traded him after he was signed to a multi year deal due to an injury.  It was a cheap move.  

He got to Chicago and wasn’t in a position where he was guaranteed a starting role.  

Foles hasn’t been terrible by any means when he’s had a fair shot.  

The Giants really shouldn't have sat at #2 to take a RB in a strong QB class. Ignoring the RB value thing and how Saquan's career has/could go, if you didn't want to take a QB you should have traded down. The Jets gave up 3 second round picks (two of very high in the 2nd) to move up from 6 to 3. The 6 spot was good enough for the Colts to get the best non-QB in the draft anyway.

7 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Still would have taken Foles over Wentz.

I think everybody in Philadelphia would have too.  

You also totally forget that he could have taken Philadelphia right back to the Super Bowl again in 2018 if dumb Alston Jeffrey would have caught the football.  

And, Foles signed with a terrible organization that didn’t treat him right at all.  Jacksonville traded him after he was signed to a multi year deal due to an injury.  It was a cheap move.  

He got to Chicago and wasn’t in a position where he was guaranteed a starting role.  

Foles hasn’t been terrible by any means when he’s had a fair shot.  

Good points. I don't think they should have traded Wentz after the SB victory, but they should have the next year. Denver would have been all over that. The Giants and WFT needed a QB as well (although I don't see Wentz going to someone within the division).