Raiders and Kolton Miller reach a agreement on a 3 year extension

agarcia34

i have no problem with the apy in a vacuum, since the new years of the deal are from 2023-2025 when the cap is going to be much higher than the current market.

i'm more curious to see how the money is spread. are they changing his cap number for 2021? 2022? or keeping those constant and just stacking on the 3/54 after those years? 

in theory they could take this opportunity to shave just over ~1 mil in this year's cap hit if they needed a little extra cheese to land the CB of chocie.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

i have no problem with the apy in a vacuum, since the new years of the deal are from 2023-2025 when the cap is going to be much higher than the current market.

i'm more curious to see how the money is spread. are they changing his cap number for 2021? 2022? or keeping those constant and just stacking on the 3/54 after those years? 

in theory they could take this opportunity to shave just over ~1 mil in this year's cap hit if they needed a little extra cheese to land the CB of chocie.

Right. That's the key part of the signing. When you make a deal like this now the cat goes up later and so he's locked in making top-five money rather than maybe top two or three money If he improves

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

Right. That's the key part of the signing. When you make a deal like this now the cat goes up later and so he's locked in making top-five money rather than maybe top two or three money If he improves

i think its even misleading to say he's a top 5 earner. at this point, for all we know, the new money doesnt kick in at all until the 2023 season. and right now we dont know how much money a vast majority of LT's are going to be making in 2023. its weird to compare what might be miller's 2023 salary to another tackle's 2021 salary to rank how much he's being paid.

when Carr signed his extension he was the "highest paid qb in nfl history" but by the time those years rolled in he was middle of the pack, and is now one of the best bargain contracts in the NFL, locked up through 2022

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

i think its even misleading to say he's a top 5 earner. at this point, for all we know, the new money doesnt kick in at all until the 2023 season. and right now we dont know how much money a vast majority of LT's are going to be making in 2023. its weird to compare what might be miller's 2023 salary to another tackle's 2021 salary to rank how much he's being paid.

when Carr signed his extension he was the "highest paid qb in nfl history" but by the time those years rolled in he was middle of the pack, and is now one of the best bargain contracts in the NFL, locked up through 2022

Right. The point I was trying to make it as time goes on the price goes up. To make an extension like this right now is actually smart move It makes Darren Waller and Derek Carr the focus going forward as the cap continues to go back up. 

9 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Right. The point I was trying to make it as time goes on the price goes up. To make an extension like this right now is actually smart move It makes Darren Waller and Derek Carr the focus going forward as the cap continues to go back up. 

yep. i already suggested a few weeks ago that i'd be in favor of giving Carr an extension now (without adding money to 2021) to get ahead of the market. it looks like right now the going rate for a good starting QB is the 40 Dak got. you could give Carr the same 4/160 that Dak got in new years/money. combine that with the ~20 he is already set for in 2022 and you're looking at a total of 5/180, which is about 36m per year. that would seem pretty good by the time 2025 and 2026 hit

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

yep. i already suggested a few weeks ago that i'd be in favor of giving Carr an extension now (without adding money to 2021) to get ahead of the market. it looks like right now the going rate for a good starting QB is the 40 Dak got. you could give Carr the same 4/160 that Dak got in new years/money. combine that with the ~20 he is already set for in 2022 and you're looking at a total of 5/180, which is about 36m per year. that would seem pretty good by the time 2025 and 2026 hit

I want to see how Carr plays this year with the knowledge he has of the game but at the same time when the line isn’t heavily compensated. 

If he does well this year then without a shadow of a doubt pay him. I think this is the best chance will get to see who Derek Carr is.

Excellent news. Get one of our own tied up through his prime. He has become a very solid player and with his physical traits and clear work ethic - can get better still. Taken care of one of the most important positions for the next good few years.

• Like 1

Thoroughly well deserved. Was not a fan of the pick at that time but Miller has worked really hard and after watching back several games recently and watching the OL cutups that were posted in another thread I wouldn't hesitate to say Miller is one of the best building block tackles in the league given his age and potential to continue improving. He's really won me over, very good player indeed.

its funny how the Miller pick was probably the most hated pick(myself included) of all time in this forum, now everyone is happy he is getting extended lol 

feels good to take care of some homegrown talent for once, hes still ascending imo and can be a top LT if he continues to get better.