Jets trade Sam Darnold to Panthers for 2021 6th, 2022 2nd and 4th

carrolljcmc

40 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I think it's less any animosity towards the Jets and wanting them to be bad and more people wanting those players to succeed and the Jets have a track record of bad coaching and running high potential guys into the ground or out of town. 

This. I don’t hate the Jets, it’s just their past history 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Lol, not even close. We had a GM who didn't invest or try to build an offensive line and missed on almost every draft pick he made. Darnold also sucked so there's that. 

So one good pick on the OL suddenly makes all of this go away? 

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Coming out of college, Darnold was more accomplished than Wilson - nobody would have thought to say he sucked. Who knows what the narrative is on Wilson 3-4 years from now - we know he's good against non-power 5 schools for a season, and that's about it.

Joe will build a well rounded team

Or, he won't. 

Saleh and LaFleur have really good schemes

Or, they won't. 

hopefully Wilson plays well. 

Given the lack of talent around him, I'm pretty certain in saying he won't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

I think it's less any animosity towards the Jets and wanting them to be bad and more people wanting those players to succeed and the Jets have a track record of bad coaching and running high potential guys into the ground or out of town. 

Robert Saleh was probably at the top of every coaching candidate list this past off-season.

I dont see us running guys into the ground or out of town. If you're referring to Adams he was a selfish diva and Le'Veon Bell sucked with us and sucked even worse with KC. Darnold was trash too "but he's 23"

Who else am I missing?

I'm not about to sit here and let past regimes mess be placed of people who didn't make those decisions. The Jets issues are compounded from years of poor drafting and bad contracts in free agency. Douglas has had 1 draft, Saleh hasn't had a chance to coach a practice. 

No one also seems to care about Trevor Lawrence being stuck in Jacksonville, you know the team that developed Blaine Gabbert and Blake Bortles into All-Pro Quarterbacks. 

Again its all just funny to me. Factor in that in the past 2 years we've upgraded at Tackle, Center and now Wide Receiver and yet somehow we're making the same "mistake".

It's so funny when it comes to the Jets. 

When we were in position to get Lawrence it was nothing but "Lawrence should force the Jets to trade the pick" because no one wanted us to get him. 

Then when Wilson elevated and became the #2 QB it was Jets should trade back keep the terrible Quarterback they currently have. 

Anything that keeps the Jets a terrible mess seems to be what everyone wants to see. Funny as hell to me personally. 

As a Bills fan I can relate to this. Once the Jets have a respectable team the narrative will change as it did for the Bills, but until then- theyre the laughing stock of the league. Im a Sabres fan as well, so I can STILL relate to this.

I think Douglas is a competent GM. Time will tell if he can put the personnel on the field that will help develop a franchise QB, but he has at least shown some traits of a solid GM. Building a contender,  though? Easier said than done, but at least there's some hope for the Jets. 

Edited by WizeGuy

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So one good pick on the OL suddenly makes all of this go away? 

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Coming out of college, Darnold was more accomplished than Wilson - nobody would have thought to say he sucked. Who knows what the narrative is on Wilson 3-4 years from now - we know he's good against non-power 5 schools for a season, and that's about it.

Or, he won't. 

Or, they won't. 

Given the lack of talent around him, I'm pretty certain in saying he won't.

Exactly "who knows" for you to assume anything is ridiculous is my point. 

What lack of talent? It's literally going to be his first year. The key is continuing to build up the team. You act like we have to get this right in one year. 

1 minute ago, WizeGuy said:

As a Bills fan I can relate to this. Once the Jets have a respectable team the narrative will change, but until then- theyre the laughing stock of the league. Im a Sabres fan as well, so I can STILL relate to this.

I think Douglas is a competent GM. Time will tell if he can put the personnel on the field that will help develop a franchise QB. 

Yeah, just unfortunate really. Dude has had one draft and came into a mess of a situation from a team that has drafted poorly for 13 years. Sometimes you have to bottom out to build up how you need to. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Robert Saleh was probably at the top of every coaching candidate list this past off-season.

I dont see us running guys into the ground or out of town. If you're referring to Adams he was a selfish diva and Le'Veon Bell sucked with us and sucked even worse with KC. Darnold was trash too "but he's 23"

Who else am I missing?

I'm not about to sit here and let past regimes mess be placed of people who didn't make those decisions. The Jets issues are compounded from years of poor drafting and bad contracts in free agency. Douglas has had 1 draft, Saleh hasn't had a chance to coach a practice. 

No one also seems to care about Trevor Lawrence being stuck in Jacksonville, you know the team that developed Blaine Gabbert and Blake Bortles into All-Pro Quarterbacks. 

Again its all just funny to me. Factor in that in the past 2 years we've upgraded at Tackle, Center and now Wide Receiver and yet somehow we're making the same "mistake".

You can present any logical argument you want. Im not presenting one. I am saying people have the perception and that stigma sticks whether it makes sense or not. Sorry bud. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

What lack of talent?

The lack of talent the Jets have. By my count, there are maybe five players on the Jets that would/could play anywhere else - Becton, Crowder, Herndon, Quennen Williams, Marcus Maye. Maybe Corey Davis.

The rest of this team is XFL quality. It could turn around, but this isn't what you want to expose a rookie QB to early on.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

So was Todd Bowels once upon a time - and this past SB showed us he's a really good coach with an excellent scheme at his disposal.

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Nah. There’s definitely an anti NY bias. It shows up heavily against the Jets probably because the media feeds it.

When the Jets were in line to get the number 1 pick, tons of fans came out and said the nfl should change the draft rules. The Jets win a game and that chatter went away. All this despite the Jets not having a top 3 pick since Keyshawn Johnson without needing to trade up.

Just look at the start of this thread and all the people coming in trying to claim the Jets sold Darnold low.

I also think it’s a my team sucks let me put this other team down more so that I can feel better about my team.

Edited by SDotNova

20 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Nah. There’s definitely an anti NY bias. It shows up heavily against the Jets probably because the media feeds it.

When the Jets were in line to get the number 1 pick, tons of fans came out and said the nfl should change the draft rules. The Jets win a game and that chatter went away. All this despite the Jets not having a top 3 pick since Keyshawn Johnson without needing to trade up.

Just look at the start of this thread and all the people coming in trying to claim the Jets sold Darnold low.

[b]I also think it’s a my team sucks let me put this other team down more so that I can feel better about my team. [/b]

The bolded is not the case. Browns had 20 years of QB carousel and different coaches and gms coming in that we’re going to change things. It was a broken record for the longest time.  A new coach and Gm for the Jets doesn’t change the perception they’re bad till things change. 

1 hour ago, Fresh Prince said:

The bolded is not the case. Browns had 20 years of QB carousel and different coaches and gms coming in that we’re going to change things. It was a broken record for the longest time.  A new coach and Gm for the Jets doesn’t change the perception they’re bad till things change. 

But the Browns are a good example of what I’m saying. Prior to this recent couple of years of success, they’d probably have far less success than the Jets. Two first overall picks, and I think they had a second overall pick. Fans of other teams...”the Browns are rebuilding the right way”. Jets have a once in couple decade chance at the 1st pick...”WTF change the rules.”

Like I don’t really care. I just know that there’s an anti NY sentiment in the US which extends through most areas of life. I see it very clearly in sports.

The why is debatable. I was just spit balling on the why.

When the Jets were good under Rex for a few years, the narrative wasn’t the Jets are finally good. The narrative in the media was, the Jets are a clown show. If what you’re saying we’re true, then we wouldn’t have received so much hatred during the Rex/Revis years.

Edited by SDotNova

31 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

A new coach and Gm for the Jets doesn’t change the perception they’re bad till things change. 

THIS!!!

Right now, everything the Jets can hypothetically do is on paper. How many times have we seen great plans on paper fail miserably?

We understand the situation with cap space, draft picks - Jets have a lot of it. They also have a LOT of needs, moreso than most bottom teams. 

QB is a need, but you're hamstringing that QB with the roster he'll have to work with. The only hope here is that he doesn't break under the pressure, because we've seen several QBs fail.

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

But the Browns are a good example of what I’m saying. Prior to this recent couple of years of success, they’d probably have far less success than the Jets. Two first overall picks, and I think they had a second overall pick. Fans of other teams...”the Browns are rebuilding the right way”. Jets have a once in couple decade chance at the 1st pick...”WTF change the rules.”

The Browns WERE/ARE rebuilding the right way, though. You are misremembering things in a weird (woe is me) way. The Browns have taken way more heat than your Jets. Baker has taken more heat alone than Rex ever did. You just get more coverage because NY.

Like I don’t really care. I just know that there’s an anti NY sentiment in the US which extends through most areas of life. I see it very clearly in sports.

The why is debatable. I was just spit balling on the why.

There is an anti NY sentiment, I'd say, yeah. Part of why there is an anti NY sentiment is the projection by NY that there is an anti NY sentiment (have fun with that "chicken or the egg"). You're doing a great job increasing the anti NY sentiment with all your victim complex stuff.

When the Jets were good under Rex for a few years, the narrative wasn’t the Jets are finally good. The narrative in the media was, the Jets are a clown show. If what you’re saying we’re true, then we wouldn’t have received so much hatred during the Rex/Revis years.

It WAS a clown show, though. Winning or losing only has so much to do with whether a situation is a clown show or not. Rex got a tattoo of his QB, foot fetish stuff (🥰), loud mouth (and still is). For the record, I like Rex and liked when he was in NY (though he wasn't the guy). The clown show didn't appear to have a direction and thus no one trusted that it was going to improve, which it didn't.

• Like 2