Jump to content

Jets trade Sam Darnold to Panthers for 2021 6th, 2022 2nd and 4th


Recommended Posts

The thing is with Darnold, he was set up to fail from the beginning. The Jets had a decaying OL, very few quality skill players around Darnold, overpaid for a RB with over 1M miles on his tires, and a defense that was frankly mediocre at best. Add to all of that he had coaching staffs that, well, sucked, the situation in Carolina might just be his best chance to succeed.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

vikings chose Teddy, then dumped him
saints chose Teddy, then dumped him
panthers chose Teddy, then dumped him

I'm detecting a pattern here.  
Teams KNOW for certain that Teddy just can't be The Man, but the jury is still out on Darnold. Now, Darnold may end up with the same fate as Teddy, but there's still a glimmer of hope. No hope exists for Teddy.
Was it an overpay for Darnold ? Probably, but that's true of most QB 

I don’t really disagree with this

but the point is, you’re overpaying for said gamble to find out if Darnold has anything to give

the total value equates to a late 1st/early 2nd

why not wait and see if there’s someone in the draft in the 2nd who they want to give a shot. I doubt that individual has worse odds than Darnold, plus he will be cheaper in the short and medium terms

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Panthers also lost out on Watson (I won't go there), so in their minds, if Darnold busts hard as opposed to Teddy being "meh" (the purgatory QB is really the worst in today's league, in terms of salary, losing out on top picks, missing windows, etc.), they'll at least have a good young core roster and be in a position to get someone high next year.

Teddy brings you the opportunity to be completely mediocre, which may actually be worst case scenario. 

JMHO

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

The Panthers also lost out on Watson (I won't go there), so in their minds, if Darnold busts hard as opposed to Teddy being "meh" (the purgatory QB is really the worst in today's league, in terms of salary, losing out on top picks, missing windows, etc.), they'll at least have a good young core roster and be in a position to get someone high next year.

Teddy brings you the opportunity to be completely mediocre, which may actually be worst case scenario. 

JMHO

Teddy's the perfect backup QB.

He can get you a win or two if your starter goes down.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Teddy's the perfect backup QB.

He can get you a win or two if your starter goes down.

That's how I feel about Darnold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Teddy's the perfect backup QB.

He can get you a win or two if your starter goes down.

or 6 if you're as stacked as the Saints

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bridgewater is clearly not their answer or they wouldn't have been in talks with Detroit and again with Houston before trading for Darnold. Carolina also didnt see the purpose in giving up multiple 1st rd picks to trade for the 3rd best qb in the draft class so giving up a couple of day 3 picks and a 2nd rd pick isnt screaming a ton of draft capital, as they still manage to come away with multiple 1st and believe a new Qb can benefit. Darnold is getting an upgrade at OC and offensive weapons more so then he ever got in NY. This is going to be his best shot at proving he is a capable starting Qb if he fails then he will be in the same field as Bridgewater which is a capable Back up qb trying to compete for a starting job. 

Darnold was never given any talent around him and you can only do so much with what you got along with a nonexistent defense too. Douglas is the key on how the Jets move forward, what is weird to me is the consistency on majority of their scouting department. As to why they are still working there, from 2012-2018 the 1st rd picks(half of those picks were in the top 10) have been cut or traded that . Thats not even mentioning day 2 and day 3 misses. That is why I think teams were intrigued in the opportunity to trade for Darnold because they see what he was given and know he hasnt had a real chance at showing he could be the guy. Honestly, if he isnt the guy then they at least took a shot rather than committing to giving up the farm to land the 3rd best qb in the draft that could be a bust. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Listen if a QB needs all this Elite talent around them to be good then they aren't that good to begin with and the team will eventually end up looking for a replacement anyway. But no, Darnold is gonna turn into a Brees/Tannehill/Young hybrid. 

When reality is he's probably at best going to be a stronger armed Ryan Fitzpatrick, which isn't terrible. But temper the expectations and just let him be the best player he can be. he deserves that much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Listen if a QB needs all this Elite talent around them to be good then they aren't that good to begin with and the team will eventually end up looking for a replacement anyway. But no, Darnold is gonna turn into a Brees/Tannehill/Young hybrid. 

It's not even elite talent. Just good talent, something the Jets don't have. I'd wager outside of Becton, there isn't a single starter quality player on offense. Jameson Crowder is maybe a #3 on any other roster, Denzel Mims is an up-and-comer but nowhere near a starter yet, Chris Herndon is a #2 TE - that's about it. Bluntly speaking, the Jets offense looks like an XFL roster in terms of actual talent... and that's really been the case since Darnold's rookie season. You take bad talent and pair it up with bad coaching, you'll ruin any QB. Pat Mahomes would be a failure in this offense. 

I'm not saying Darnold is going to turn into something special, I'm just saying that this is the first time in his career Darnold has actual NFL talent around him on offense - let's see what he could do with it.

43 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

When reality is he's probably at best going to be a stronger armed Ryan Fitzpatrick, which isn't terrible. But temper the expectations and just let him be the best player he can be. he deserves that much. 

At best a stronger armed Ryan Fitzpatrick? You're underselling him if you think that's "at best". At best, he's a Phillip Rivers type, a guy who needs a strong cast - but can work well with a strong cast.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It's not even elite talent. Just good talent, something the Jets don't have. I'd wager outside of Becton, there isn't a single starter quality player on offense. Jameson Crowder is maybe a #3 on any other roster, Denzel Mims is an up-and-comer but nowhere near a starter yet, Chris Herndon is a #2 TE - that's about it. Bluntly speaking, the Jets offense looks like an XFL roster in terms of actual talent... and that's really been the case since Darnold's rookie season. You take bad talent and pair it up with bad coaching, you'll ruin any QB. Pat Mahomes would be a failure in this offense. 

I'm not saying Darnold is going to turn into something special, I'm just saying that this is the first time in his career Darnold has actual NFL talent around him on offense - let's see what he could do with it.

At best a stronger armed Ryan Fitzpatrick? You're underselling him if you think that's "at best". At best, he's a Phillip Rivers type, a guy who needs a strong cast - but can work well with a strong cast.

But you would still flashes of potential. It doesn't matter who you're throwing to when they're open and you still miss them. When you need to throw the ball away instead of throwing a pick and costing us field position. Those are issues. I've never blamed Darnold for us not winning games or scoring touchdowns but the things he can control I have had issue with. If he didn't throw picks and hit open receivers then we'd be fine with him. But he cant even do that and I'm sick of the excuses. 

I'm not underselling anything, that's what he's shown me. I've seen no Rivers type anything from him and to expect that because he's with 5 win Carolina is setting him up for unrealistic expectations. I rather him exceed the expectations than fall short again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jeezla said:

His last name might as well be Bradford. 

At least Bradford played in a national title game...and was sidelined by injuries in the NFL. Devastating injuries. 

Darnold? Ummmmm......................

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

At least Bradford played in a national title game...and was sidelined by injuries in the NFL. Devastating injuries. 

Darnold? Ummmmm......................

I mean, he played for the Jets, the Jets have been among the least talented teams at every position. I'm not saying Darnold is all the sudden going to be great but Darnold has been in as bad a situation as it could possibly get.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tk3 said:

but the point is, you’re overpaying for said gamble to find out if Darnold has anything to give

Can you offer us a list of traded QBs that weren't overpays or gambles ?

 

Also, from The Athletic

"In three seasons with the Jets, Darnold has had trouble staying healthy, protecting the ball and not getting sacked. He is 13-25 as a starter and has only nine games of throwing for more than 8 yards per pass attempt. In 16 of those games he did not throw an interception, and in 12 he threw only one.  In his 38 starts, Darnold has been on the ground 98 times; 723 of his passing attempts have occurred when his team was losing, as have 25 of the 39 interceptions thrown. The point is that Darnold played badly, but he was often playing from behind.

By choosing Wilson, GM Douglas must believe Darnold won’t play well if the Jets are in front, either —  though when you examine the numbers, Darnold shined with the lead. When the Jets were ahead, Darnold threw 19 touchdowns, eight picks and averaged 7.57 yards per attempt with a 94.4 quarterback rating, well above his career 78.6 average. It’s easy to say that Darnold is the reason the Jets were always behind, but that is not accurate. "

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

vikings chose Teddy, then dumped him
saints chose Teddy, then dumped him
panthers chose Teddy, then dumped him

I'm detecting a pattern here.  
Teams KNOW for certain that Teddy just can't be The Man, but the jury is still out on Darnold. Now, Darnold may end up with the same fate as Teddy, but there's still a glimmer of hope. No hope exists for Teddy.
Was it an overpay for Darnold ? Probably, but that's true of most QB trades
 

yeah, that's kinda the point. 6 years in and he isn't getting good enough. His apex was with an all- star offense and top coach in NO... and they dumped him. He's an average back- up QB at this point 
 

I won't try to speak for the other teams, but I don't think it's fair to say that the Vikings "dumped" Teddy.  I'm sure Mike Zimmer would have loved to keep him around but the team doctors said his chances of ever playing again at a high level were only about 25%.  For that reason, they made the decision to move on.  They were very happy with him and optimistic about the future before he got hurt.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...