WR Julian Edelman released by Patriots; Announces retirement

Apparition

13 hours ago, dtait93 said:

I know many will say the play they’ll remember the most from him was the SB catch against Atlanta where the ball was basically on the ground... but for me it was his catch and run against Seattle in the SB after taking a direct hit from Chancellor. That dude was just dropping people left and right all year and Edelman took his best shot and didn’t go down. Guy was tough as nails.

There's no doubt in my mind he was 1000% concussed after that pla, but managed to play it off enough to stay in the game. He was a warrior.

As for the HOF talk, I think the best comparison is Hines Ward. A tough-as-nails guy who was never really close to being a top 5 WR, but has has multiple rings and a SB MVP. I think Hines has an outside shot at making to the Hall, which means Edelman likely has no shot.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

There's no doubt in my mind he was 1000% concussed after that pla, but managed to play it off enough to stay in the game. He was a warrior.

As for the HOF talk, I think the best comparison is Hines Ward. A tough-as-nails guy who was never really close to being a top 5 WR, but has has multiple rings and a SB MVP. I think Hines has an outside shot at making to the Hall, which means Edelman likely has no shot.

I think the discrepancy in stats is too much for him to be compared to Ward. Ward played for 2 more seasons than Edelman, but has almost double his yards (6800 vs 12000) and more than double his touchdowns (36 vs 85).

Deion Branch really is the best comparison for Edelman.

Branch: 11 seasons, 518 receptions, 6644 yards, 39 touchdowns. Postseason: 17 games, 64 receptions, 948 yards, 4 touchdowns. 2x SB, 1x SB MVP

Edelman: 12 seasons, 620 receptions, 6822 yards, 36 touchdowns. Postseason: 19 games, 118 receptions, 1442 yards, 5 touchdowns. 3x SB, 1x SB MVP

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I love the video of edelman yelling at Brady saying nice ffing ball and following it up with you're too ffin old lmao.

Plus the "It's gonne be a helluva story" and "Let's win this for you mom, dude" lines in the 28-3 game. Jules was always firing off those sideline quotes.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I think the discrepancy in stats is too much for him to be compared to Ward. Ward played for 2 more seasons than Edelman, but has almost double his yards (6800 vs 12000) and more than double his touchdowns (36 vs 85).

Deion Branch really is the best comparison for Edelman.

Branch: 11 seasons, 518 receptions, 6644 yards, 39 touchdowns. Postseason: 17 games, 64 receptions, 948 yards, 4 touchdowns. 2x SB, 1x SB MVP

Edelman: 12 seasons, 620 receptions, 6822 yards, 36 touchdowns. Postseason: 19 games, 118 receptions, 1442 yards, 5 touchdowns. 3x SB, 1x SB MVP

Touche. Yeah, Edelman has no shot at the Hall

• Like 2

11 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Majority of Pats fans think this, no idea why the discussion always gets so heated. 

Thankfully on here that might be true. If you want some laughs though check out Patriots Reddit or Twitter. He’s apparently first ballot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Thankfully on here that might be true. If you want some laughs though check out Patriots Reddit or Twitter. He’s apparently first ballot. 

I mean, look at it from a casuals perspective. Those people watch, probably, 1 or 2 games that don't involve the Patriots a year? True of any teams casual fans. So all they see is Julian play lights out when on the field since taking over the spot. They don't see Hopkins or Hill doing more because BB typically takes away a teams best player. For instance:

It's easy to see why the bias is so strong. Don't get me wrong, they are wrong. However, let them live in their BB protected bubbles. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, biggie. said:

If Lynn Swann can get in due to his postseason heroics,

Swann played in a different era, but was considered one of the most talented receivers of his day. He was taken in the first round of the draft. Right or wrong, Edelman does not have the same sort of reputation. He's considered to be an overachiever type. They also played in drastically different eras.

6 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Swann played in a different era, but was considered one of the most talented receivers of his day. He was taken in the first round of the draft. Right or wrong, Edelman does not have the same sort of reputation. He's considered to be an overachiever type. They also played in drastically different eras.

This. You can’t really compare them. Yes, Swann’s numbers don’t look impressive to modern eyes, but he lead the NFL in TDs once, and was fairly regularly top 10 in yards and/or scores. He also made 3 pro-bowls and an all pro, neither of which Edelman managed. Swann was a top 10 starting WR in his day, now I love JE as much as anyone, but he was he was never even close to being that.

10 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

love Edelman

but imo Welker was better and doesnt get half the love Jules gets

im probably biased though since Welker was my favorite player for a long time

Yeah but Welker is remembered for this:

OaJE.gif

Where as Edelman is remembered for this:

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Yeah but Welker is remembered for this:

OaJE.gif

Where as Edelman is remembered for this:

giphy.gif

i feel you , but one catch doesnt make a player better than the other , or more HOF worthy (even if it is the best postseason catch of all time imo)

both throws werent very good, one guy just got a little luckier 

8 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

i feel you , but one catch doesnt make a player better than the other , or more HOF worthy (even if it is the best postseason catch of all time imo)

both throws werent very good, one guy just got a little luckier 

I agree, I'm just saying Edelman was way more clutch. I believe he comes down with that ball Welker dropped.