The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

54 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

obviously going from richie to simpson is a downgrade, but i dont know if there are FA guards who would be upgrades to simpson either

Fair enough. There are some solid vet OL just sitting on the market though. I.e. mitchell schwartz and i have no idea why.

13 hours ago, Turnobili said:

guard isn't as pressing, with John Simpson somewhat plug and play as a backup, and Lester Cotton has always looked like a viable #4 guard

linebacker is a bigger issue... as 3 of the guys fighting for spots are all extremely inexperienced (Tanner Muse, Javin White, Divine Deablo)

KJ is a no brainer. in the meantime Kwit should be able to seamlessly take over MLB duties if Morrow misses time.

Have to disagree with this sorry. LB we have a few options on board and we'll only really need two starters in our base whereas we have a new C and RT and Incognito is the old head, tone setter and rock of the OLine. If he's out Simpson hasn't been impressive at all and one thing Carr doesn't like (like all QBs is pressure right in his face). I'm going to be really concerned if Simpson is starting from the off, he's shown nothing to think he'll be good at this level yet.

Kwiatkoski and Littleton can easily hold down the LB spots with cameos from Muse, Koonce, Deablo and White etc. Starting OG is in on 100% of the plays and we have an OC who's started one game and been average to below average with a career backup RG and rookie RT. I'm concerned. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Fair enough. There are some solid vet OL just sitting on the market though. I.e. mitchell schwartz and i have no idea why.

Going into the season with Simpson - James - Leatherwood as starters is essentially starting 3 rookies. Schwartz has a back issue, IIRC. 

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Have to disagree with this sorry. LB we have a few options on board and we'll only really need two starters in our base whereas we have a new C and RT and Incognito is the old head, tone setter and rock of the OLine. If he's out Simpson hasn't been impressive at all and one thing Carr doesn't like (like all QBs is pressure right in his face). I'm going to be really concerned if Simpson is starting from the off, he's shown nothing to think he'll be good at this level yet.

Kwiatkoski and Littleton can easily hold down the LB spots with cameos from Muse, Koonce, Deablo and White etc. Starting OG is in on 100% of the plays and we have an OC who's started one game and been average to below average with a career backup RG and rookie RT. I'm concerned. 

I had thought our weakest units going into 2021 was guard and DT

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Going into the season with Simpson - James - Leatherwood as starters is essentially starting 3 rookies. Schwartz has a back issue, IIRC. 

Yeah I'm not keen on this. I think 2 is doable because James at least has some experience. Simpson flashed, but I'm not sure he's ready for a full time role just yet. Maybe I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I had thought our weakest units going into 2021 was guard and DT

I don't agree with Guard being one of the weaker units.  Good is good and Inc is really good, just old.  We don't really have depth there but I think we have less depth at other positions (definitely OT).  I'm terrified of we lose K. Miller or Leatherwood.

45 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah I'm not keen on this. I think 2 is doable because James at least has some experience. Simpson flashed, but I'm not sure he's ready for a full time role just yet. Maybe I'm wrong.

Andre James has 1 start and has played 116 snaps in his career. Simpson played 252 snaps last season for us. 

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

I don't agree with Guard being one of the weaker units.  Good is good and Inc is really good, just old.  We don't really have depth there but I think we have less depth at other positions (definitely OT).  I'm terrified of we lose K. Miller or Leatherwood.

I thought Richie was a question mark because of his age, and coming off an injury filled 2020. He's already getting banged up, hopefully I'm wrong his body won't break down. Good is an average starter, which is why he is paid that salary. He's 30 years old, he doesn't have much of a ceiling. Definition of a stopgap, which is okay. Just not a strength of the team, at least other unknowns have potential to shine. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Just so I can say this on record I think lester cotton looks better than john Simpson  based on what I’ve seen.