Was there a specific moment when you realized a QB wasn’t going to pan out?

CP3MVP

It doesn’t have to be for your team. A specific game Or a throw or something that happened that where it was like ok this guy just doesn’t have it... He’s not a franchise QB.

For the record I am talking about first round QBs who were expected to be franchise Qbs 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

It doesn’t have to be for your team. A specific game Or a throw or something that happened that where it was like ok this guy just doesn’t have it... He’s not a franchise QB.

For the record I am talking about first round QBs who were expected to be franchise Qbs 

Very good question. 

For the Texans, your only QB that falls into this category would be David Carr (I could do on for Matt Schaub or Brock Osweiler - maybe later). Deshaun Watson really hasn't had that moment on field (off the field? Well...)

As far as Carr - it was the 2005 season. Texans were in the middle of a 2-14 season, everything that could go wrong went wrong. On one play vs the Colts (I think?) Carr was on a designed rollout, and he had Andre Johnson open on a deep drag route. Johnson is calling for the ball, waiving his hands; Carr just didn't see him, but he started to run away, and ran out of bounds for a six yard loss. Nobody was near him, he sacked himself.

At that point, I knew the hits he took early on finally took their toll on him. He was feeling pressure that was nowhere to be seen... ghosts were chasing him and he folded.

• Like 5

Trubisky in college when he ran into the ref and fumbled. Was shocked when he was picked early ‘cause that’s a total bum move. And then any time I watched him play completely scared in the NFL and look like he doesn’t want to be there.

Johnny 8-ball Manziel was an obvious bust but I guess when the Browns hired an expensive analytics team that told them not to draft him but then they did anyway. Or any number of the videos of him getting absolutely annihilated drunk on daddy’s money. That’s not sustainable 

Brandon Weeden being old he already had no chance but getting sacked by the American flag was just too good to come back from. 

also not sure how Brock Osweiler ever got a chance. Every single time he played he made rudimentary throws of the ball look incredibly difficult. I guess when he had that throw/fumble while playing for the Texans against Denver.  already knew he sucked by then but I was begging for teams to stop putting him on TV. Despite what some franchises think There’s more to playing QB than being tall

Mike Shanahan ruining RG3s knee in the playoffs felt dirty.

not going to condemn his career yet but Joe Burrow getting injured last year was the most predictable injury ever. I’d say that big hit he took against the Eagles solidified it for me that there was zero chance of him finishing the season. Because of the abuse he took last year that team should be worried they don’t turn him into Sam Bradford/David Carr v2 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

Didn’t take long watching Ponder and Teddy to realize they weren’t going to be worthy franchise QBs. 

Just watching Ponder in 2012 really being unable to do anything despite Peterson getting so much attention during his MVP season kind of sealed it. The next year they drafted Teddy. Teddy was just so underwhelming at everything you’d expect from a franchise QB. He couldn’t drive the ball, showed poor accuracy down the field, but he had the intangibles that were exciting. Just didn’t come together his first two years and then his knee imploded. Teddy needed that year 3 jump and not having that experience due to the injury pretty much sealed it because you know it was going to be a long recovery and a player trying to reach their peak really can’t be missing time in years 3, 4 and 5. It was a long shot but I think in the end, he played like a high level backup.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

Not so much that a QB wasn't going to pan out, but there was a specific moment that I knew Peyton Manning was done as an NFL QB.

2014-15 divisional round, Broncos at home to the Colts having had a bye week. Indy led 14-10 at the half with Manning only completing 7 of his 18 passes for 71 yards and a TD, but the Broncos had kicked a FG as the 2nd quarter expired to cut the deficit to 4 and they got the ball first to start the 3rd quarter to despite Indy's strong first half performance, it was still anyone's game.

First drive after the half, Broncos faced a 3rd and 5 from their own 30. Manning took the snap from shotgun, faked the handoff to CJ Anderson then rolled right to a completely clean pocket, there was literally not a single player within 10 yards of him any direction. Instead of literally walking for the first down, he threw a ridiculous deep ball to Sanders who was well covered by Greg Toler to cause a 3-and-out, the Colts came back down the field and scored and then held on to win 24-13. After that play, I was done with Manning and I kinda thought he'd end up being pushed out.

In the end John Fox, not Manning, ended up being the fall guy. Gary Kubiak came in and Elway built a superstar defense and we managed to win the Lombardi trophy the next year with Manning as the worst starting QB in the NFL, but I still maintain that the 3rd-and-5 I've described earlier was enough for me to know he was done.

• Like 1

For Jacoby it was about halfway through 2019 season. 8/15 games he fully played he couldn’t even get over 200yds. He held on to the ball consistently(27 sacks). He had  one of the worst YPA at 6.5. Also despite mostly never taking risks and throwing deep he barely made it pass 60% passing. It was very clear Jacoby is a decent backup but not a starter.

Edited by Blackstar12