Chiefs acquire OT Orlando Brown Jr. from Ravens for picks (incl. 2021 1st rounder)

Apparition

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm not trying to be a hater, but if Ravens fans think they're going to be as good with Villanueva at RT as they were with Brown they are sorely mistaken. AV is not nearly as good as people think he is. His perception of talent stems from the anthem thing. He's an adequate pass blocker and he's a much worse run blocker. Plus he's been on a decline from the average-ish position he held 5 years ago. I'm sure Myles Garrett is pretty pumped he's still in the division. 

I don't doubt your breakdown, but it is much easier to play RT in the Ravens offense than in the Steelers. Half the time they just let the DE go unblocked and the RT can find the closest LB to block. Lamar Jackson by himself eliminates 1 defensive player based on the scheme.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What's going on with Tyre Phillips? I remember liking him as a prospect. 

Definitely a mixed bag. He completely blew the playoff games vs the Bills when he stood there like a statue and let Hughes run right by him. Hard to judge a project like him, though, given how COVID affected last offseason. 

• Like 1

Just now, AngusMcFife said:

I don't doubt your breakdown, but it is much easier to play RT in the Ravens offense than in the Steelers. Half the time they just let the DE go unblocked and the RT can find the closest LB to block. Lamar Jackson by himself eliminates 1 defensive player based on the scheme.  

That's a good point. If you need a guy to leave someone unblocked, AV is your guy!!!

He's actually pretty smart so he won't leave guys unblocked. Getting absolutely manhandled by pass rushers is more his vibe. 

• Like 1

Just now, AngusMcFife said:

Definitely a mixed bag. He completely blew the playoff games vs the Bills when he stood there like a statue and let Hughes run right by him. Hard to judge a project like him, though, given how COVID affected last offseason. 

Even if we evaluate his entire season last year, it wasn't good.

8 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I'm suspicious that Brown was becoming a problem, and this was an attempt to get ahead of that

I haven't seen any signal that this was the case. The players, the coaches, the FO all seemed all positive on Brown Jr.

The only problem was that they have Stanley who is more athletically gifted (but also less durable) and committed a top of the market deal to him. Also, Lamar changes the calculus a bit... opponents aren't going to flood the edge to get him out of the pocket. It's more important that the Ravens shore up their interior. Zeitler helps, but we really need a good center, which is where I'd look with one of those 2 late 1sts they have now.

31st pick - 600 points
94th pick - 124 points
236 pick - 38 points
2022 5th round pick - 17.4 points (without accounting for degrading of value for future picks)

779.4 points total

58th pick - 320 points
2022 6th round pick - 5.4 points (without accounting for degrading of value for future picks)
325.4 points worth of picks.

Meaning Orlando Brown was valued at 454 points (actually less if you degrade the future picks value). Right between the 44th and 45th pick. 

That's basically exactly where those who were on the other side of the trade discussions seemed to think the value was going to be. I know many Ravens fans are upset because they were expecting a package as large as the Tunsil trade, but this seems about exactly where his value actually should have been.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm not trying to be a hater, but if Ravens fans think they're going to be as good with Villanueva at RT as they were with Brown they are sorely mistaken. AV is not nearly as good as people think he is. His perception of talent stems from the anthem thing. He's an adequate pass blocker and he's a much worse run blocker. Plus he's been on a decline from the average-ish position he held 5 years ago. I'm sure Myles Garrett is pretty pumped he's still in the division. 

Don't disagree with this at all.

But Ronnie Stanley/Villaneuva (or a draft pick) is right on par with - if not an upgrade from - Orlando Brown/DJ Fluker, which you have to remember was our tackle combo for the last 10+ games last year (including the last 6/7 when we really started to get our offense rolling).

I think the Ravens seeing our offense actually operate without a good RT last year (DJ Fluker and Tyre Phillips alternated) gave them some comfort in making this trade, and saying, "yeah, we can put points up with Stanley/Villaneuva at tackle. We did with Brown/Fluker last year".

Plus I definitely think RT is in play early in the draft.

1 minute ago, pwny said:

31st pick - 600 points
94th pick - 124 points
236 pick - 38 points
2022 5th round pick - 17.4 points (without accounting for degrading of value for future picks)

779.4 points total

58th pick - 320 points
2022 6th round pick - 5.4 points (without accounting for degrading of value for future picks)

Meaning Orlando Brown was valued at 454 points (actually less if you degrade the future picks value). Right between the 44th and 45th pick. 

That's basically exactly where those who were on the other side of the trade discussions seemed to think the value was going to be. I know many Ravens fans are upset because they were expecting a package as large as the Tunsil trade, but this seems about exactly where his value actually should have been.

In general I think you’re right that certain people overvalued him. And while I like certain people, you are entitled to your victory lap. But I don’t think the draft value chart is that relevant. I feel like I’ve even heard several football people say they don’t use it.

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

31st pick - 600 points
94th pick - 124 points
236 pick - 38 points

779.4 points total

58th pick - 320 points

Yup. "Ravens twitter" has an amazing guy named Ken Mckusick who basically calculated out this value 3 months ago based on where we drafted Brown, how many years we got out of him, his play, his future contract situation with his new team etc. and basically came up with pick 48-50 range as "appropriate and expected" value for Brown.

The guy is like a savant so I knew right then that's what we'd probably get if a trade were to happen. I'm not mad at it...I think it's fair for both sides. Anyone expecting 1st round value wasn't taking into account Brown's needing a big extension with his next team into the fold and his already accrued 3 Probowl level seasons we gained off of the original 3rd round pick we gave up for him.

19 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't think any Ravens fan thinks that!! You are also assuming that he is being brought in to replace Brown at right tackle. I think they want him in the building as a swing tackle to offer a little security if Stanley isn't quite ready at the start of the season. Also the Ravens can now really attack a draft loaded with offensive line talent and one of those picks could earn the starting nod at right tackle.

1 minute ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

As a Chiefs fan after watching the Patty  Mcfranchise get crushed in the playoffs repeatedly I love this and I’m even ok with it as a 1 year rental. 

I think draft picks are wildly overrated, majority are bust to bare minimum don’t live up to the expectations. 

Maybe for most teams but look how much damage Decosta does between rounds 3-5 in the draft.

10 minutes ago, pwny said:

31st pick - 600 points
94th pick - 124 points
236 pick - 38 points

779.4 points total

58th pick - 320 points

Is this off the old value chart? It should be pick 136, not 236.

I don't think Decosta minds the 2nd vs 3rd and 4th swap, even if it is a chart loss. He's been quite vocal about wanting to get more picks there.