Chiefs acquire OT Orlando Brown Jr. from Ravens for picks (incl. 2021 1st rounder)

Apparition

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

Cap space vs protecting the most valuable asset in the sport for a decade.....

You don't hear a single Ravens' fan saying the Chiefs messed up do you?

You need to keep Mahomes healthy more than you need depth.

I mean if we hadn't been trading picks away like candy in years past,   we could have thrown some draft capital at the OL.    

Veach doesn't not exactly have the best track record on trades for Chief fans to be thrilled about this.     

Just now, wackywabbit said:

Cap space vs protecting the most valuable asset in the sport for a decade.....

You don't hear a single Ravens' fan saying the Chiefs messed up do you?

I would have preferred several OT prospects in this deep class, plus the lower cap hit, and the picks given up.

This is essentially a 1 year rental for the Chiefs. No way are they able to retain him given what he presumably wants

It's an okay trade for both. I think the Chiefs paid a lot for a 1 year rental - but it solves a critical need in an all-in season

I think the Ravens get decent, but not great compensation for a guy who was quite possibly about to be a big problem. The biggest issue I have with it is that they strengthened the team they are trying to topple

Also - if I'm the Ravens I'm going big on a trade up to get one of the top 3 WR

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

True and fair, but you gotta go all in before that Patty contract + all the money you keep kicking back has to be paid. Betting your odds to win another SB soon >>> needing depth in a few years.

Ehh.   I'm not all that concerned about the Pat contract,    the details of the contract are so easy to maneuver money around.    Most of it is Roster Bonus's that will get moved around yearly into another bonus.    He will obviously get paid,   but it won't kill us.     I mean it may kill us if we keep trading away picks like we don't need them.

2 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

This is essentially a 1 year rental for the Chiefs. No way are they able to retain him given what he presumably wants

It's an okay trade for both. I think the Chiefs paid a lot for a 1 year rental - but it solves a critical need in an all-in season

I think the Ravens get decent, but not great compensation for a guy who was quite possibly about to be a big problem. The biggest issue I have with it is that they strengthened the team they are trying to topple

Also - if I'm the Ravens I'm going big on a trade up to get one of the top 3 WR

I imagine they'll tag him next year if they can't sign him long-term. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

What I said when I predicted this move was that the Ravens are too smart an org to believe in the "don't help the best team in your conference" logic. They traded with the Chiefs because the Chiefs offered the most value. The Chiefs offered the most value because they needed him the most.

The San Francisco Giants GM made some comments a few years ago about trading with arch rival LA Dodgers:

"You would almost prefer to trade with a rival, because you are draining their farm system while bolstering your own. So ultimately you can gain more ground that way"

A little different scenario though, because he was talking about trading guys with expiring contracts who would not be re-signed by that rival. In this instance, the chiefs just got a 10 year starter at LT. Big difference there.