Chiefs acquire OT Orlando Brown Jr. from Ravens for picks (incl. 2021 1st rounder)

Apparition

I don’t feel like starting a whole thread so I’ll just bring it up here. I’ve really seen no evidence that left and right tackle are dramatically different. Orlando Brown to left. Fine. Trent Brown to left. Fine. But but but, it’s the blind side. Is it really though. The QB is looking up field. Not at the right sideline. It just seems like some old school **** someone came up with and no one ever questioned it.

• Like 2

Just now, samsel23 said:

I mean at the start of the year we had Fisher/Schwartz protecting our most valuable asset.    I know it's crazy to plan for being down to your 6th/7th OT's in the super bowl.   But the top talent was never the issue,   it's the fact we have horrendous depth behind the top guys because we don't draft.   How much has our starting OT's improved from last year,     how much has our 2nd string improved?  

And both OTs aged/injured out most of last year and weren't going to be available this year, so I do believe we have improved from what was going to be the lineup going into this season.

So what should we do, draft some tweeners prospect to protect the best QB we've ever had? I know you may not like it but I can definitely see the motivation behind it is all I'm saying.

As of right now we have a ton of depth inside and out and you can tell that was the FOs motivation this off-season.

1 minute ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I don’t feel like starting a whole thread so I’ll just bring it up here. I’ve really seen no evidence that left and right tackle are dramatically different. Orlando Brown to left. Fine. Trent Brown to left. Fine. But but but, it’s the blind side. Is it really though. The QB is looking up field. Not at the right sideline. It just seems like some old school **** someone came up with and no one ever questioned it.

The difference is in how you scheme and how the NFL has traditionally schemed with regard to help. But I have no doubt that Brown can succeed at LT.

Just now, DontTazeMeBro said:

Its blindside when you are under center and right handed which way do you drop back? with your body going right, so while you are dropping back your body is in position to have your back turned to the left which is your blind side. Its a huge difference and makes a lot of sense especially when you have a weak LT which can cause a pass rusher to pop them in the back and cough the ball up. The evidence is there

34 minutes ago, FGK said:

That's if you're using the Jimmy Johnson trade chart. With both of these FO's being more analytically minded, the better value chart to look at is probably the Harvard one. When I cut out the 2022 5th/6th swap the Harvard chart says they were valuing Brown as about the 20th pick.

Is that the Rich Hill?

I'm not trying to be a hater, but if Ravens fans think they're going to be as good with Villanueva at RT as they were with Brown they are sorely mistaken. AV is not nearly as good as people think he is. His perception of talent stems from the anthem thing. He's an adequate pass blocker and he's a much worse run blocker. Plus he's been on a decline from the average-ish position he held 5 years ago. I'm sure Myles Garrett is pretty pumped he's still in the division. 

25 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

This is essentially a 1 year rental for the Chiefs. No way are they able to retain him given what he presumably wants

It's an okay trade for both. I think the Chiefs paid a lot for a 1 year rental - but it solves a critical need in an all-in season

I think the Ravens get decent, but not great compensation for a guy who was quite possibly about to be a big problem. The biggest issue I have with it is that they strengthened the team they are trying to topple

Also - if I'm the Ravens I'm going big on a trade up to get one of the top 3 WR

There is no way the Ravens do that, it's just not the way they operate. They value draft picks above all else and never have made huge jumps up in their entire history as a franchise. I'm actually thinking they do the opposite and trade back with one of those 1st round picks to get more picks.

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

I'm suspicious that Brown was becoming a problem, and this was an attempt to get ahead of that

Even so your trying to tell me that a 27 spot swap was the best you can do for a versatile OT? 3rd and 4th rd picks is ehh for a guy maybe towards the age of 30 but a 24 y/o is little to desire, especially when you have to compete in the post season to the team that has gone to back to back superbowls in the conference. You couldnt find any other offers outside of the chiefs that offered you a flat out 2nd rd pick for him? 

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm not trying to be a hater, but if Ravens fans think they're going to be as good with Villanueva at RT as they were with Brown they are sorely mistaken. 

Speaking for "Ravens fans"... this is not something I think.

But, if we get Stanley back and a center who like.... can... snap the ball... we're not necessarily taking a step back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

There is no way the Ravens do that, it's just not the way they operate. They value draft picks above all else and never have made huge jumps up in their entire history as a franchise. I'm actually thinking they do the opposite and trade back with one of those 1st round picks to get more picks.

I agree - I'm just saying what I would do

I think Lamar needs that elite WR, and idk how else to get him one

19 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The Ravens got decent value but they gave up on 2021 by making this trade.

The odds of Chiefs - Bucs II are now at about 56% (75% for each of them getting there)

I'm not worried about the Chiefs signing Brown to a 4 year extension with 3 voidable years for cap hijinks.

Those hijinks still work for everyone but the Saints. (10 years of cap poisoning)

Really? Would they have a better offensive line with Brown on the right side next year? Sure. However what if the Ravens use one of their first round picks to get Teven Jenkins and another pick to get Creed Humphrey or Landon Dickerson? The Ravens roster is built to win now they just need a couple of these draft picks to connect and they are good to go.

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Speaking for "Ravens fans"... this is not something I think.

But, if we get Stanley back and a center who like.... can... snap the ball... we're not necessarily taking a step back.

What's going on with Tyre Phillips? I remember liking him as a prospect.