Chiefs acquire OT Orlando Brown Jr. from Ravens for picks (incl. 2021 1st rounder)

Apparition

4 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Gross.

Not as gross as watching Patrick Mahomes running for his life in the Super Bowl though.  You guys have done a great job rebuilding your O-line this off season, and Brown could be the final piece to the puzzle.  Best of luck!

----------------------------------------------------

Note:  @samsel23 I was just going through this thread for the first time when I posted the above.  It looks like other people have already responded the same way.  Sorry about that.  I didn't mean to gang up on you. 

Edited by Uncle Buck

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

Chiefs made out like a bandit in this deal. Still got two 2nd rounders.

You also have less draft capital and a tackle you need to pay a ton of money to. Chiefs are definitely better then they were yesterday but they have some cap issues looming on the horizon. I think both teams won.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Not as gross as watching Patrick Mahomes running for his life in the Super Bowl though.  You guys have done a great job rebuilding your O-line this off season, and Brown could be the final piece to the puzzle.  Best of luck!

----------------------------------------------------

Note:  @samsel23 I was just going through this thread for the first time when I posted the above.  It looks like other people have already responded the same way.  Sorry about that.  I didn't mean to gang up on you. 

No worries,  I don’t take it personally.  

It’s a panic move from a game in which we were down to our 4th/6th string OT’s.    How many teams can say they are that deep at OT to handle Tampa’s edge players?   Our starting Tackles right now are actually worse than they were to start last year...  and we have less amo to work on depth 

• Like 1

The Ravens essentially traded a 2nd for a 1st along with a few other mid round picks and got rid of a guy they were never going to re-sign.

That is a win.

The Chiefs get a 1 year rental on a proven OT who they hope to re-sign, and he’s likely better than anyone else they’re getting in that spot.

That is a win.

1 minute ago, samsel23 said:

No worries,  I don’t take it personally.  

It’s a panic move from a game in which we were down to our 4th/6th string OT’s.    How many teams can say they are that deep at OT to handle Tampa’s edge players?   Our starting Tackles right now are actually worse than they were to start last year...  and we have less amo to work on depth 

Kind of a tough spot to be in.  The guys they will be replacing were excellent, and picking at #32 doesn't help in the effort of replacing them.  I think the Chiefs did a great job of rebuilding the line, considering.

1 hour ago, mountainpd said:

Whilst I get they may not want to pay him this year I am shocked a new contract was not part of the trade.

KC won this trade in my opinion although I think the trade chart value I see people talking about is about right (45)

I am hoping Ravens use the capital to move up and light up the draft, I would suggest a trade down is more likely. They are prime candidates to get one of the two centres now and possibly Bateman or Marshall.

It is interesting.  KC has around $9M in cap space, so an extension would have been doable, probably been a cap hit of $5-6M for 2021 vs the $3.3M.   So very workable

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

It is interesting.  KC has around $9M in cap space, so an extension would have been doable, probably been a cap hit of $5-6M for 2021 vs the $3.3M.   So very workable

We need that 9mil for rollover because 2022 is going to be real interesting. Assuming we franchise or re-sign Brown for ~16mil, we will have 24 players under contract taking up ~190mil in cap space. We need to get more players on cheaper/rookie deals and stop trading away draft picks for vets we have to pay. Our depth is going to be even more atrocious if we have to divide 20-30mil between ~30 players.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

We need that 9mil for rollover because 2022 is going to be real interesting. Assuming we franchise or re-sign Brown for ~16mil, we will have 24 players under contract taking up ~190mil in cap space.

Yeah, that might be an issue for sure.  Mahomes contract is going to be a mini salary cap reserve with pushing the various parts in each year out in restructures.  

5 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

We need to get more players on cheaper/rookie deals and stop trading away draft picks for vets we have to pay. Our depth is going to be even more atrocious if we have to divide 20-30mil between ~30 players.

Those are tough things as the league minimum/cheap rookie players are like $600K.  Not a lot of room for players above a $1M deal.   Could be mostly UDFA contracts

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If this guy is anything better than an average LT the Chiefs got an absolute steal and I don't understand that trade at all for Baltimore. 

But I have no idea how good this "pro bowl" OT is. The compensation would indicate he is a slightly below average starter.

Main issue with Brown - Ravens was Brown didn't want to play RT and be paid RT money.   He wanted to be a LT and get paid as such.  That very well could have brought the price down as BAL getting better compensation in this deal vs a 2023 3rd round comp pick

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If this guy is anything better than an average LT the Chiefs got an absolute steal and I don't understand that trade at all for Baltimore. 

But I have no idea how good this "pro bowl" OT is. The compensation would indicate he is a slightly below average starter.

Well it sounds like to me that you don't have much of a clue of anything and aren't able to give an educated opinion of this deal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Uche got the sack. So that's technically true. Obviously, Brown lost the rep. But had the other OLs not blown the rep too, he probably could have pushed Winovich past Jackson when Jackson climbed the pocket.

4 hours ago, samsel23 said:

But have we improved... from what we were going into at the start of LAST season.    Would be my point,   starters were never the issue beginning last year,  much like they won't be this year.

For the full OL, we have absolutely improved. Going into last year, our starting line up was projected as Fisher/Osemele/Reiter/Wylie/Schwartz. A Brown/Niang or Remmers duo may be a step down from Fisher/Schwartz. Might be comparable. But the gap between an Allegretti/Reiter/Wylie interior, and a Thuney/Blythe/LDT interior is substantial. Or even Osemele/Reiter/Wylie, if we want to talk later in the offseason.