Noooo. .... Anyone but him

cannondale

35 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

Haven't done much research this year but of the guys I keep seeing mocked I'd be a little disappointed with Levi or Jevon Holland at 29.

I'd be fine with DE Levi Onwuzurike at 29, even though most mocks have him in the pick 40 region. S Jevon Holland looks closer to a Packers 2nd round pick, though even at #62 I might be more tempted by the very versatile S Richie Grant. I don't think the Packers go WR in round one, but this is Gute we are talking about, so you never know.

The picks I would like most at #29 are OT Teven Jenkins or LB Zaven Collins...............but there is a good chance they are both gone. Other popular picks (I'm not a huge fan) include CBs Greg Newsome II and Caleb Farley, but they too could easily be gone.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Joe said:

Then you're clearly not following the team. What part of "we have nobody behind an injured Bakh and Billy Turner" do you not understand? Seriously, I'm not trying to belittle you. We're not going into the season with a patchwork OL and the fact that Gutey resigned Kevin King and backed that up with "oh yeah I like our CB room" only to meet with multiple CB's shows you that Gutey has one of the best poker faces in the league.

In all seriousness, you're telling me Bakh is A-ok to come back from an ACL in Week 1 when we've heard next to nothing about his recovery and, again, have literally nobody behind him at OT other than Billy Turner who was EXPOSED against TB. 

Oh, but Jenkins can play OT you say. Yes he can and I'd love to see him as either of our OT's, especially LT if Bakh isn't ready. Problem: who's playing Center? who's playing LG? who's our RT if it isn't Turner?

FWIW, this is why I think we trade up for Teven Jenkins if he's available and we might even mortgage something if we have to trade into the teens to get him...

The Packers lost their C and backup swing T this offseason, they return 4 of 5 starters that includes 2 Pro Bowlers on the OL and the #1 offense in the NFL that returns everyone including 3 other Pro Bowlers. They return 6 of their top 8 OL players. 

TT explained this at one time and is something many people do not understand, but if a player is drafted or a UDFA makes the 53 they are there to develop into a starter. They didn't draft a player to be a backup, if he kept on the roster it is because they see the development to be a starter. That is why they are on the roster. Some fans discard the players that have been developing and are ready to step in when the draft rolls around as if those players can't play. They are there for a reason. An example of this is Lane Taylor that made the roster as a UDFA and spent 2 seasons just taking up space or so many fans thought that was the case, than out of the blue he became a starting G in season 3. This applies to Runyan, Stepaniak and Nijman this year. There is a reason they were on the roster all season last year and it's not because they liked their company at lunch. 

To my original post, Gutes may draft an OL in the 1st round, but he is not in a panic to draft a player at any position because they have developed players to step in when needed. They have build their draft board and will draft the best player at whatever position he may be. 

I'm okay with your shot at me about 'clearly not following the team', irrational comments often come from not truly understanding something. I am sure you follow the Packers, but it is also clear that you don't understand what the Packers are doing. I do hope you want to take your knowledge past Packer fandom 101 and truly understand the inner working of the team and that would start by simply asking yourself 'why' are the Packers doing something, rather than forming some rushed opinion and declaring what the Packers must do.           

Edited by R T
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, cannondale said:

In the playoffs you will always run into a good defense, and a good defense travels and always has the ability to slow down a good offense. A bad defense stop no one. At home, cold weather, Brady throws 3 picks, and still put up 30 ?? Not good enough. And don't look now, but SF is back. 2011 was the best offense I've ever seen - same deal. 2010 was the last legit defense GB has had. Trophy. If holding teams under 30 is too lofty a goal .....

To be fair the defense played well enough to keep Tampa under 30 if not for a couple horrid turnovers by the offense that directly resulted in 14 points.  One of those turnovers gifted the ball to Tampa inside our 10 for what ended up being the difference in the game.

The defense, which sucks, did their job in the second half only to watch the offense play like trash in the 4th quarter.  Tampa scored just 3 points in the second half when they weren't afforded the ball inside their opponents 10.  We can blame the defense but you aren't beating a good team in a close game when your offense no shows in the 4th like ours did.  The defense put us in the opportunity to win only to watch the offense piss that opportunity away on multiple drives after interceptions.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, R T said:

The Packers lost their C and backup swing T this offseason, they return 4 of 5 starters that includes 2 Pro Bowlers on the OL and the #1 offense in the NFL that returns everyone including 3 other Pro Bowlers. They return 6 of their top 8 OL players. 

TT explained this at one time and is something many people do not understand, but if a player is drafted or a UDFA makes the 53 they are there to develop into a starter. They didn't draft a player to be a backup, if he kept on the roster it is because they see the development to be a starter. That is why they are on the roster. Some fans discard the players that have been developing and are ready to step in when the draft rolls around as if those players can't play. They are there for a reason. An example of this is Lane Taylor that made the roster as a UDFA and spent 2 seasons just taking up space or so many fans thought that was the case, than out of the blue he became a starting G in season 3. This applies to Runyan, Stepaniak and Nijman this year. There is a reason they were on the roster all season last year and it's not because they liked their company at lunch. 

To my original post, Gutes may draft an OL in the 1st round, but he is not in a panic to draft a player at any position because they have developed players to step in when needed. They have build their draft board and will draft the best player at whatever position he may be. 

I'm okay with your shot at me about 'clearly not following the team', irrational comments often come from not truly understanding something. I am sure you follow the Packers, but it is also clear that you don't understand what the Packers are doing. I do hope you want to take your knowledge past Packer fandom 101 and truly understand the inner working of the team and that would start by simply asking yourself 'why' are the Packers doing something, rather than forming some rushed opinion and declaring what the Packers must do.           

Take off the green-n-gold glasses for a moment.

We don't have a back-up OT that has been developed and Bakh is coming off an ACL tear; we do not know when he will be available... That's been my point the entire time. Runyan and Stepaniak are Guards and Nijman hasn't proven jack diddly. He hasn't even signed his tender btw.

How hard is this for people to understand? 

IF....we trade up and/or draft Teven Jenkins tonight I'm rubbing it in...

Just now, SSG said:

We can blame the defense but you aren't beating a good team in a close game when your offense no shows in the 4th like ours did.  The defense put us in the opportunity to win only to watch the offense piss that opportunity away on multiple drives after interceptions.  

Exactly. We were playing with back-ups at both OT positions who got exposed and abused, mainly Billy Turner. MLF then channeled his inner Ricky La Fleur and started the McCarthy practice of calling 10-15 yard chunk plays every play whereas our short to intermediate game was starting to come in and find success.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

Exactly. We were playing with back-ups at both OT positions who got exposed and abused, mainly Billy Turner. MLF then channeled his inner Ricky La Fleur and started the McCarthy practice of calling 10-15 yard chunk plays every play whereas our short to intermediate game was starting to come in and find success.

We definitely had issue at tackle but our pass catchers didn't do us any favors.  Their inability to get separation put a lot of unneeded pressure on the tackles.  There's plenty of blame to go around on that offense for that 4th quarter showing.  

14 minutes ago, Joe said:

Take off the green-n-gold glasses for a moment.

We don't have a back-up OT that has been developed and Bakh is coming off an ACL tear; we do not know when he will be available... That's been my point the entire time. Runyan and Stepaniak are Guards and Nijman hasn't proven jack diddly. He hasn't even signed his tender btw.

The need for another quality OL is obvious, but it doesn't necessarily have to be an OT. A trio of Bakh, Jenkins and Turner as #3 OT would be as good as any group in the league, wouldn't it? 

That would leave holes at OC, LG and backup G. The on-roster options would be Patrick at C, Runyan at LG and probably Stepaniak as the primary backup. Workable, but mostly unproven. Adding one plug-and-play starter on the interior could make it all work. Creed Humphreys fits. That would leave LG as the only question mark. You could win with Runyan or Patrick in the lineup.  

Drafting Humprheys is one way to solve the OL equation. Drafting a plug-and-play RT is the other, but who fits that bill? TJenkins looks like he'll have trouble vs. speed, he may even end up at OG. Might be off the board anyway. Who else? Eichenberg is the only other possibility and I don't think he's twitchy enough. He also has some technique issues, too much leaning. I don't see a slam dunk week 1 starter. 

Rolling with the holdovers would be irresponsible. They have to add a potential starter somewhere. Humprhpeys, Jenkins or possibly Eichenberg in the 2nd seem to be the only realistic options.  

57 minutes ago, SSG said:

We definitely had issue at tackle but our pass catchers didn't do us any favors.  Their inability to get separation put a lot of unneeded pressure on the tackles.  There's plenty of blame to go around on that offense for that 4th quarter showing.  

That has everything to do with play-calling. We heard this consistently when McCarthy was around. You can have all the speed on the face of the planet, but if you're wearing your receivers out because EVERY single call is deep route/chunk yardage you deserve to lose.

1 minute ago, Les Punting said:

The need for another quality OL is obvious, but it doesn't necessarily have to be an OT. A trio of Bakh, Jenkins and Turner as #3 OT would be as good as any group in the league, wouldn't it? 

That would leave holes at OC, LG and backup G. The on-roster options would be Patrick at C, Runyan at LG and probably Stepaniak as the primary backup. Workable, but mostly unproven. Adding one plug-and-play starter on the interior could make it all work. Creed Humphreys fits. That would leave LG as the only question mark. You could win with Runyan or Patrick in the lineup.  

Drafting Humprheys is one way to solve the OL equation. Drafting a plug-and-play RT is the other, but who fits that bill? TJenkins looks like he'll have trouble vs. speed, he may even end up at OG. Might be off the board anyway. Who else? Eichenberg is the only other possibility and I don't think he's twitchy enough. He also has some technique issues, too much leaning. I don't see a slam dunk week 1 starter. 

Rolling with the holdovers would be irresponsible. They have to add a potential starter somewhere. Humprhpeys, Jenkins or possibly Eichenberg in the 2nd seem to be the only realistic options.  

?

We don't know when Bakh will be back that's the point; so many people are ignoring that point because they're infatuated with other prospects at other positions. Eichenberg's a Guard at the next level just like his teammate Hainsey. We're loaded at Guard; go look at the roster. Also, as much as I want to see Elgton Jenkins kick out to Tackle, the team has consistently put him at Center or Guard. I don't expect Teven Jenkins to struggle with speed at RT, which is where we would most likely play him. 

So since so many people are too lazy to look it up, here's who we have that is SIGNED on the OL at the moment:

Guard:
Simon Stepaniak
Lucas Patrick(can kick in to Center)
Elgton Jenkins(most likely starter at Center)
Jake Hanson(listed as a Center, but may move to Guard)
Zach Johnson(former UDFA)
Ben Braden
Billy Turner(listed as G/T)

Tackle:
Bakh(coming off an ACL)
Yosh Nijman(finally signed his tender, former UDFA)

If we don't draft an OT within the first three rounds, that means Bakh is ready to go Week 1 and they're keeping it tight to the chest. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, you forgot Runyan who is likely to start somewhere on that line.  I think he gets a shot at RT.

As far as value goes, it used to be said that you don't draft a RT in the first round.  IF we take an OT in the first I would think it would be someone they see moving to LT in 4-5 years after Bak is done.  

30 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Well, you forgot Runyan who is likely to start somewhere on that line.  I think he gets a shot at RT.

As far as value goes, it used to be said that you don't draft a RT in the first round.  IF we take an OT in the first I would think it would be someone they see moving to LT in 4-5 years after Bak is done.  

Yes.  I think it's fair to say that GB wants their tackles to be cross trained.  No one thought Turner would replace Bulaga as well as he did.  Then everyone was worried about Turner filling in at LT.  And he was really good out there, then the onslaught of Tampa caught up to the ENTIRE line.  Most everyone thought Wagner was washed.  And he played very good football for us.

So what's different?  It's out offense and how we build off of the run, and our O-Line coach.  

So yah, odds are if we take a tackle, it will be one that has LT qualities that can also flip to RT.  Lots of guys in this draft fit the bill.  If we can have Turner do it, there are a lot of guys like him or even better in this draft.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yes.  I think it's fair to say that GB wants their tackles to be cross trained.  No one thought Turner would replace Bulaga as well as he did.  Then everyone was worried about Turner filling in at LT.  And he was really good out there, then the onslaught of Tampa caught up to the ENTIRE line.  Most everyone thought Wagner was washed.  And he played very good football for us.

So what's different?  It's out offense and how we build off of the run, and our O-Line coach.  

So yah, odds are if we take a tackle, it will be one that has LT qualities that can also flip to RT.  Lots of guys in this draft fit the bill.  If we can have Turner do it, there are a lot of guys like him or even better in this draft.

Agree, there are quality OL players that will be drafted on day 3 this year. Gutes won't be in a panic to feel the need to draft one in any particular round. The Packers will draft a few because there are so many good fits and it will come together. Just don't know what rounds yet. 

• Like 1