Aged Like Milk: Draft Edition

LETSGOBROWNIES

14 minutes ago, JDD said:

I was not happy with the Baker pick as I thought it was Darnold. I was instantly happy when we drafted Ward and when we drafted Chubb I thought maybe we have something figured out. Glad Baker has proven me wrong.

I wanted Darnold but I liked Baker a lot too.  I wasn’t mad though.  Ward pissed me off tbh.  I thought it was poor value at 4.  I didn’t think he was really elite.  

I hated the Richardson pick because it was too high for a RB, but man I wanted Justin Blackmon so bad in that draft. Oh well guess neither was right.

I was team Tannehill with @DawgX that year. Didn’t want a RB, didn’t see anything special about Blackmon.

I hate thinking back on all the picks that have failed. It's nuts to go back and just take the guy that was drafted 5 spots after us in every round since 2000. We'd be an average team if you just did that I'm sure. 

It’s incredible just how wrong we managed to be so many times over so many regimes.

@LETSGOBROWNIES I was team Tannehill, but I also liked Richardson.

As for the 2018 draft, I was team Darnold but was still a big fan of Baker and had a feeling he might be the pick due to what Dorsey openly said about Baker. I also preferred Ward over Chubb at #4, partly because I had hope for Ogbah at the time and viewed Ward and Chubb as similar caliber of prospects.

I loved Ward at OSU. I thought he was so underrated. 

Baker just worried me after Manzel. I was worried that he wouldn't want to be a football player and would want to be famous. Where I thought Darnold would be a football junkie. 

I didn't like Tannehill at that spot only because of his lack of experience. Just seemed like he wasn't ready to play QB in the NFL. Seems like he either finally got it or he just got better coaching. Which leads me to believe he would have failed miserably here. 

2 minutes ago, JDD said:

I thought he was underrated, but not that underrated lol.

2 minutes ago, JDD said:

Baker just worried me after Manzel. I was worried that he wouldn't want to be a football player and would want to be famous. Where I thought Darnold would be a football junkie. 

A lot of fans thought this tbh, but they’re different dudes all together.

2 minutes ago, JDD said:

I didn't like Tannehill at that spot only because of his lack of experience. Just seemed like he wasn't ready to play QB in the NFL. Seems like he either finally got it or he just got better coaching. Which leads me to believe he would have failed miserably here. 

The crazy thing is we actually ran the exact same offense he did in college.  Like exact same.  It would have been as good of a fit as we could have hoped for.  But no, let’s take a 28 year old ginger....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I thought he was underrated, but not that underrated lol.

That's fair. I'm probably miss remembering his value. Just that everyone was drooling over B Chubb and while he would have been a good pick I think Ward was the better player. 

A lot of fans thought this tbh, but they’re different dudes all together.

Yeah I didn't think he was going to be as big of an idiot as JM but he seemed to have some arrogance that just worried me. Let's be honest, it was him beating OSU in the shoe. Though I said for a long time if you didn't let him make you look a fool, he doesn't get to plant the flag.

The crazy thing is we actually ran the exact same offense he did in college.  Like exact same.  It would have been as good of a fit as we could have hoped for.  But no, let’s take a 28 year old ginger....

Guess you missed the part about good coaching lol

Edited by JDD
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JDD said:

Was Rosen unlucky or not good? Seems like he was pretty unlucky with the situation. Though I never really watched any Cardinal games when he was there to say he was good or bad. 

I feel like it was organizational incompetence + him not having the work ethic for it.

• Like 1

I looked back through our recent draft histories and found a bunch of guys I remember being ecstatic that we drafted who never really amounted to anything. There are some great ones here:

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB

Armonty Bryant, DE

Montario Hardesty, RB

Alex Hall, LB

1 minute ago, Reginaldm9 said:

I looked back through our recent draft histories and found a bunch of guys I remember being ecstatic that we drafted who never really amounted to anything. There are some great ones here:

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB

Armonty Bryant, DE

Montario Hardesty, RB

Alex Hall, LB

Armonty was the only one I thought would be good. The rest weren’t that impressive. 

11 hours ago, TypicalBrowns10 said:

Also when we got Veikune (LB) in the 2nd round out of Hawaii. I thought it’s about time we grabbed a stud. Turns out it was so bad they refused to cut him til after preseason to not look like idiots. Biggest whiff I can remember.

Yep on Veikune. Didn’t know who he was when we drafted him. Proceeded to do research on him and got excited. Went to the first home preseason game and keyed in on him. Thought to myself, holy crap that dude is REALLY slow. No longer interested 🤷🏼‍♂️

You guys know my biggest whiff. Yep the one and only Marecic. My own version of mad dog in a meat market. For sure thought he’d be a stud FB that was really good at receiving. Also thought he’d be a spot playing LB. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Another gem of mine was the 2013 draft. Even though I’m on record before the draft as saying that was the worst draft class I remember ever seeing. I wanted the Browns to trade down mid to late first and take EJ Manuel. I thought he would at least be a decent starter 🤷🏼‍♂️

13 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

You guys know my biggest whiff. Yep the one and only Marecic. My own version of mad dog in a meat market. For sure thought he’d be a stud FB that was really good at receiving. Also thought he’d be a spot playing LB. 🤷🏼‍♂️

tenor.gif

I was right there with you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDD said:

Felt the same way about tannehill. I thought he’d bust within a few years.