Draft Day Thread:

Steeler Hitman

Just now, Dcash4 said:

I was actually really hoping we would move Washington today for a 5th-ish pick. He’s not in our future plans, not needed this year, and won’t net us any sort of comp pick. 

Ya know what, as I say that...maybe he is a more significant training camp trade piece for someone that losses a guy early. 

Maybe get us that 4th back. 

I'm not a scout or a GN. But so far the first 2 picks are the only 2 8 like and I'd still have gone Creed Humphrey over Friermuth. 

This could turn out to be a great draft class. It could also turn out to be one or Colberts worst ever and right now I feel like it's the latter.

• Like 1

Just now, Cbrunn said:

Of course the ravens end up with wade 

Humphrey, peters and wade in the slot 

Man out division has been drafting ridiculously good too

Almost every year, people claim we had the worst draft in the AFC North, because the other teams tend to go with the higher profile guys.....but their draft classes often dont end up being as good as everyone anticipates.  Not to say they are bad, but I remember NUMEROUS occasions where Steeler fans were mad that the Ravens or Bengals supposedly had a great draft, but it didnt ultimately end up as great as it looked on draft day.  

I have no idea how this years draft will turn out IN THE END, but just because they are supposed drafting better on PAPER doesnt mean it will all pan out.   

As @MOSteelers56said....at this point, its a major crapshoot at this point.     Most day 3 players....even 4th rounders, dont end up doing much outside of depth and special teams.   

• Like 1

TL:DR on the last two picks for those that are not sure who they are:

Buddy Johnson is a shorter but more athletic VWill.  Sideline to sideline LB at 6' 230ish.  His testing #s were pretty sick.  Excellent head in front run defender.  Not great in processing and will get fooled on misdirection.  Zone drops ONLY and hook/curl.  Early down base 3-4 Mike Backer for us, and 4 Phase ST.  2 down player but plays all ST.

Isaiahh Loudermilk is a 6'7" 290 DL who is an old school grinder.  4 year player at Wisconsin and is solid vs run and not much vs pass.  Moves down over guards where his arms are helpful.  Solid player.  He lost down to 275 for his pro day, but plays at 285-290.  Will play 5 tech for us, and then slide down over the guards for our 2-4-5 nickel.

I like both of these players, but not here.  Both are 7th/UDFA guys.  Especially don't like giving up a 4th in a historically deep 2022 draft for Loudermilk.  I realize we will get comp picks, but if we wanted to use them to move up for a QB, we have just handicapped ourselves.

And the Steelers were doing so well in addressing needs, and selecting solid talent, with guys being drafted around or near their projected level...until...now.  There are so many things wrong with this Loudermilk pick...value...the fact that we traded up for him, and that we used a 2022 4th, to do it...Miami must be laughing their butts off..."we got a 4th next year, so the Steelers could trade up for powdered milk??"  What?

Height 6' 6⅜"* 96
Weight 274 lbs* 73
Wingspan 81¼"* 64
Arm Length 32⅝"* 16
Hand Size 10"* 59
10 Yard Split 1.71s* 21
20 Yard Split 2.88s* 10
40 Yard Dash 5.08s* 3
Vertical Jump 28½"* 7
Broad Jump 112"* 33
3-Cone Drill 7.52s* 10
20 Yard Shuttle 4.55s* 21