Draft Day Thread:

Steeler Hitman

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Green is very mobile which, I am guessing, what the Steelers want in their centers.  He is going to need some time and coaching.  He has only been playing Oline for 3 years.  He will need a lot of coaching and reps to get him up to starting

Pretty much this. He is by nature, a Guard and he is also 6'1" so leverage is gonna be a con.

This isn't, as much as people want to believe otherwise (including me) a guy who is going to challenge Finney for the starting job out of the gate. He is a minimum of a full season away from being a relevant starter imo.

I agree with the Pouncey sentiments too. He was trash last year. He had been coasting on reputation for a long time. I've never seen an "elite" player get absolutely destroyed as much as Pouncey did. Some of Ben's biggest plays come from Pouncey getting blown back into his lap. Early in his career he moved so well as a lead blocker that it made up for the handful of disastrous plays he'd have a game. Later in his career he didn't have the highs, but still had the lows. I think losing Pouncey and Foster could really end up really helping our run game. 

• Like 2

I think you guys are not giving green enough credit, he'll be starting by mid season 

Probably should be starting sooner rather then later, but I could see the coaching staff going with Finney similar to Dotson/Feiler last year 

At worst he can be LG next year, and move Dotson back to his natural RG position, but I think he'll be the C for 10+years

• Like 2

I think Green is a Center all the way. I think he's a bit too small to be a OG for the Steelers. They might change their ways for him, but we've rolled with big OGs for awhile. I think Green has a good shot at being a pretty good Center. The David Andrews comp is a good one. 

37 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm really pulling for Shaun Wade or Kary Vincent. They aren't our tradition, rangy CB prospects. That's why I like them.

Yeah 4a I'm with you , give me one of those guys or james Wiggins (statistically one of the best slot defenders last year) insane athletic abilities 

Wade I think reports are character concerns, not getting along with coaches and stuff? At least I think that's what I read

8 hours ago, 43M said:

Position wise, this is pretty expected.     I fully expected RB and OL in the first 3 rounds....and then either TE or CB.     So no shocks.

Harris and Friermuth are "Win now" types who will be able to contribute pretty significantly as rookies.     Both are pro ready prospects. with pretty high floors IMO.

Admittedly, I know nothing of our 3rd round pick....but many Steeler fans seems to like him.   Why is he rated so low on ESPN?  Not that that means anything, but Im just wondering if there is reason they seem to have him valued as a late round pick.

Either way, I have no issues with this draft.  Well...maybe not ENTIRELY true, but based on expectations, there is nothing that really upsets me.

CB is going to be a wasteland unless someone really steps up.     Probably draft one and maybe sign a vet before the season.      They cant hang their hats on ANYTHING behind Haden and Sutton.   

Yeah...nevermind he was 1st Team All Big 10...first Illini to do so since 2011. Not to mention, the three Big Boards I've been following have him ranked between 94 (Late-3rd) to 104 & 117 (Mid-4th).  ESPN is more concerned about 'name recognition', than it is in providing an accurate 'Big Board'

(And just for shins and griggles, they had Freiermuth between 47, 54, 66, and Harris between 20, 22, 26....so, knock on wood, our GM/HC Draft Dream-team have actually been fairly spot on, picking 24, 55, and 87

IIRC is he’s a Steelers fan so it’s not being biased against them.

He says don’t draft RBs high but the Steelers haven’t had success with the mid rd approach.

He says invest high picks at OL and DB which the Steelers did with 3 1st round picks at DB in the last 6 years or so and signed vet FAs at CB.

multiple 1st rounders about 10 years ago at OL but had found value with UDFAs like Villy/Feiler/Finney.

They have emphasized the more premium positions especially in defense(pass rushers and DBs) so I’m not really seeing some of his argument.

Thry also haven’t had to trade up for their QB cause they’ve had a really good one for the last 15 years.

They signed Rudolph to be the bridge guy and are putting pieces around him to see if he’s the guy or the pieces around the guy they sell the farm for in 2 years.

Edited by AFF
  • Like 1

Because they look at the raw numbers instead of assessing individual teams players go to and the output they get. 

Lets pick on the “don’t trade up for LBers” statement. Well last year w/Bush and w/o/Bush out defense was really different, showing he was special. We gave up 20, 53, 83 (2020 3rd). So 10 spots cost a 2nd and 3rd. The Jets moved up 9, costing them 23, 66, and 86. So almost the same cost for them to take OL. Bears moved up 12 and payed 2 1sts and 2 4ths to draft Fields. So they paid more. Now Bush is working out so how can you sit there and say it didn’t work? 

Additionally I find it hard to criticize the OL drafting. Colbert has proven very effective at finding OL. Villy was a cast off at DE from the Eagles. Foster was an UDFA. Finney was an UDFA. Dodson was a 3rd. Okorafor was a 3rd. Banner was a castoff. Gilbert was a 2nd. Beaching was a 7th. Starks was a later pick. Outside of Pouncey and DeCastro I can’t think of many high picks and we’ve steadily had decent lines. 

CB is one of the few places you can criticize but who should they have taken since Burns? Who’s been there that late?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Because they look at the raw numbers instead of assessing individual teams players go to and the output they get. 

Lets pick on the “don’t trade up for LBers” statement. Well last year w/Bush and w/o/Bush out defense was really different, showing he was special. We gave up 20, 53, 83 (2020 3rd). So 10 spots cost a 2nd and 3rd. The Jets moved up 9, costing them 23, 66, and 86. So almost the same cost for them to take OL. Bears moved up 12 and payed 2 1sts and 2 4ths to draft Fields. So they paid more. Now Bush is working out so how can you sit there and say it didn’t work? 

Additionally I find it hard to criticize the OL drafting. Colbert has proven very effective at finding OL. Villy was a cast off at DE from the Eagles. Foster was an UDFA. Finney was an UDFA. Dodson was a 3rd. Okorafor was a 3rd. Banner was a castoff. Gilbert was a 2nd. Beaching was a 7th. Starks was a later pick. Outside of Pouncey and DeCastro I can’t think of many high picks and we’ve steadily had decent lines. 

CB is one of the few places you can criticize but who should they have taken since Burns? Who’s been there that late?

That’s my point of my post above...I just don’t see the basis for most of his argument.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If Harris works out, will it change the numbers.  College football has abandoned the TE position for the most part.  Very few get any sort of coaching.

So far they took the #1 RB and the #2 TE ( although the difference between Pitts and all the other TEs is as wide as Valles Marineris https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valles_Marineris )  The question is whether Muth is much better than McKitty who was taken at pick 97.  If not, then it is a problem

They took a project at center because they value movement in their centers.  I kept pointing out that Humphrey and Dickerson did not have movement in their games.  Somehow, Cobert has not drafted in the top 10 ( without trading up into it) his entire tenor.  He must be doing something right

Edited by jebrick

59 minutes ago, August4th said:

guys thoughts on this?

notice these NFL draft analyst seem to act very "meh" with how the steelers been doing things lately, I wish we could get colbert on one of their postcast for a hr to debate one of these guys

I heard good things about Ledyard.  I stopped reading his stuff after he said Shaquan Barkley was going to be a bust and Hakeem Butler was going to be the next star WR.  

This team is where it is bc we are on the back side of a Star QBs career and have been trying to win now.  In my opinion they started 2-3 years too late.  

I’m sure you could look at teams you have applied his strategy each year and look where they are at.  Browns and Bengals both come to mind. Look at their longer term success. But I’m sure he’d argue their talent evaluation.