Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

Not sure how you exactly define leverage, but if the standoff continues, and Rodgers shows up very late with an obvious "players play" condescending attitude, the ensuing media circus, espn trucks, 15 minute updates, barrage of questions to anyone and everyone, is something the front office would dread. A reporter I don't recall mentioned the team was mentally toast due to the Favre situation. I would predict a very flat season if Rodgers showed up with both sides still under tension. All the players and coaches would say the right things, but you can't avoid the mental drain that would come with that scenario. And Rodgers knows this first hand. You may not call it leverage, but it's something.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 2

It is not leverage.  It is a consideration.  Rodgers if he decides to show and play under his current contract or a slightly enhanced one that does not give him long term binders would have every incentive to play his guts out.  For his teammates, his coaches, his fans, the franchise, and mostly for himself.  To accomplish great things under tense circumstances would only speak great things of him.  He would be in a favorable position to then quietly demand a trade after the season if he so wishes and the team in a better position to quickly act.

This is what it is.  The team needs to not make it far worse by burying the team long term in a bad contract with him that will leave the team with far more dead money than we're looking at now.  

Edited by 15412

Bart Starr - 16 years as a Green Bay Packer

Brett Favre - 16 years as a Green Bay Packer

Aaron Rodgers - 16 years as a Green Bay Packer

I think the football Gods are telling us to trade Rodgers so we don't live through another 2+ decades of horrible football/quarterback play. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I think the football Gods are telling us to trade Rodgers so we don't live through another 2+ decades of horrible football/quarterback play. 

Change the lens on that camera......

The Football Gods (it should be capitlized....) - in an effort to prevent the Packers from living through another 2+ decades of horrible football/quarterback play....influenced the drafting of Jordan Love....and now all will be well in the world again :)

2 hours ago, Leader said:

The Football Gods (it should be capitlized....) - in an effort to prevent the Packers from living through another 2+ decades of horrible football/quarterback play....influenced the drafting of Jordan Love....and now all will be well in the world again :)

Only if we trade Aaron Rodgers before he takes a snap in his 17th year! 😂

20 hours ago, Leader said:

Actually, it shouldn’t.  Grammatically speaking, the only time God should be capitalized is for monotheistic religions.  So if there are multiple football gods, it shouldn’t be capitalized because that is not monotheistic.  If there’s only one football God, then it should be capitalized.

Football gods.

Football God.

• Like 3

I'm a touch bored. Watching what media was saying about Love before the draft and after the Packers picked him. 

This one pretty much hits the nail on the head. Marcellus Wiley, never came across him before as a media guy, but watching his stuff recently, he comes out with good stuff. He brings up communication as an issue, Rodgers senstive nature. Funny, even a year ago the time line many felt for Rodgers was a year.

• Like 1

Marcellus Wiley's a buffoon IMO. Since Whitlock has left SFY, he and Acho have developed an annoying "point / counter point" rat-atat-tat back and forth thats more annoying then informative......again IMO. Fully recognize to each their own. I dont turn them on any longer. Been there done that and I dont need more headline creators / chasers.

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

I'm a touch bored. Watching what media was saying about Love before the draft and after the Packers picked him. 

This one pretty much hits the nail on the head. Marcellus Wiley, never came across him before as a media guy, but watching his stuff recently, he comes out with good stuff. He brings up communication as an issue, Rodgers senstive nature. Funny, even a year ago the time line many felt for Rodgers was a year.

I clicked the button expecting to think Wiley was full of it, but honestly he has a better bead on all of this stuff than most national media guys do today, and he had it a year earlier. Not a fan of Jason Whitlock or this kind of show in the slightest, but Marcellus pretty much did nail this one. 

On 6/5/2021 at 3:06 PM, cannondale said:

Not sure how you exactly define leverage, but if the standoff continues, and Rodgers shows up very late with an obvious "players play" condescending attitude, the ensuing media circus, espn trucks, 15 minute updates, barrage of questions to anyone and everyone, is something the front office would dread. A reporter I don't recall mentioned the team was mentally toast due to the Favre situation. I would predict a very flat season if Rodgers showed up with both sides still under tension. All the players and coaches would say the right things, but you can't avoid the mental drain that would come with that scenario. And Rodgers knows this first hand. You may not call it leverage, but it's something.

I would think if Rodgers shows and just goes through the motions, it will send a message to the organization that he is serious about not wanting to be in GB....

On 6/5/2021 at 5:30 PM, Old Guy said:

Interesting on how the sixteen year ceiling has evolved....Starr retired....Favre hedged.....(It's being reported that) Rodger flat out wants out of GB....

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Marcellus Wiley's a buffoon IMO. Since Whitlock has left SFY, he and Acho have developed an annoying "point / counter point" rat-atat-tat back and forth thats more annoying then informative......again IMO. Fully recognize to each their own. I dont turn them on any longer. Been there done that and I dont need more headline creators / chasers.

The idea that a show could suffer from Whitlock departing is so far outside the realm of believability that it borders on impossible. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Interesting on how the sixteen year ceiling has evolved....Starr retired....Favre hedged.....(It's being reported that) Rodger flat out wants out of GB....

In the spirit of escalation, in the year 2036, Jordan Love will hire a Blade Runner to murder his current GM 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The idea that a show could suffer from Whitlock departing is so far outside the realm of believability that it borders on impossible. 

Then you haven't seen it recently. At least Whitlock kept it under control and more of a discussion.