Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

32 minutes ago, Leader said:

I actually read the PK article after making the above post - which mischaracterizes what King said.

It's wasnt that AR plays for another year then picks his team in 2022.

It's  ::  "So wouldn’t it make sense for Rodgers, after this season, to give the Packers four destinations in the AFC, and let Green Bay GM Brian Gutekunst make the best deal for the franchise?"

Still....I think this too contrived to actually work - but at least it gives the organization some leeway over destination.

I'm against players picking their destinations - and - consider it a really bad habit to get in to from a Green Bay perspective. If this were to become the norm, I suspect GB would lose more players than gain them.

My 2 cents.

Does Green Bay owe him that? Isn't their loyalty to doing what is right for the organization? I think you trade him to whoever gives you the most, if that lines up with where he wants to go, so be it. 

Straight from RapSheet, who at least is credible most of the time. Again, the second point, IMO, is one of the most important facts about this entire saga. If Rodgers was "done" with the Packers and wanted out, he'd do the thing that every NFL player in history has done before him in that situation....he'd ask for a trade. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Does Green Bay owe him that? Isn't their loyalty to doing what is right for the organization? I think you trade him to whoever gives you the most, if that lines up with where he wants to go, so be it. 

They don't owe him anything. It would be an act of goodwill that is all.

I am more knowledgeable about hockey and there are limited NTC's given on contracts where the player submits a list of X teams at the start of off-season where they can be traded or not-traded to. Not sure if that exists in football. Assuming it does, if you give something like that Rodgers, it will come without the promise that he WILL be traded. Because Rodgers trying to force our hand is the main reason that we are in the situation we are.

The biggest problem is that things can change severely between now and next off-season. While the likes of Oakland and Denver want him now, things might change next year if Rodgers has an off year (or suffers and injury) AND/OR their young QB's light it up OR they would rather go with a high-pick in next years draft for QB. Any of these and the already smaller market gets smaller. A drop in performance (or worse injury) would hurt his trade value or even make him untradeable and put us back in the exact same situation as now. The uncertainty of all of the above is the main reason I wish he would just move him now. It makes us worse in the present but we will be better off in the seasons to come.

The only justification for keeping him now would be that he gives us a better chance in the playoffs this year. But based on his level of play in the NFC championship games how much faith do we have that we actually win another SB under him. Its a lot of risk (high risk and high reward though) to take for a shot for just 1 more year of Rodgers.

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Straight from RapSheet, who at least is credible most of the time. Again, the second point, IMO, is one of the most important facts about this entire saga. If Rodgers was "done" with the Packers and wanted out, he'd do the thing that every NFL player in history has done before him in that situation....he'd ask for a trade. 

Regarding point 2. I don't think he has to ask for one. His actions speak louder than words. Plus asking for a trade would make him the 'bad guy' and Rodgers is most definitely concerned about his image and how he is perceived.

It also gives him the option to say, 'I wanted a new deal but they didn't and just traded me' and paint the Packers as the 'bad guy' in the whole saga.

• Like 1

We do not know if Rodg has asked for a trade or not.  It is speculation to think he has, and equal speculation to think he hasn't.

Supposedly he has said he wants out.  Supposedly he has said the team promised to trade him.

The only thing we really know is he isn't happy with the front office.

Edited by 15412

The Packers presently own a bunch of dead money with 12.  A new team would not have that dead money to start with.  It's always about the money to a degree in the least.  A new team is going to be more likely to bury themselves in this 38 year old QB with a 150 million dollar contract.  Burying themselves in eventual mountains of dead money far beyond what we have with him.  Most teams are less concerned about long term winning than this one to boot.  They are fine with the crash and burn management.

26 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

The only justification for keeping him now would be that he gives us a better chance in the playoffs this year. But based on his level of play in the NFC championship games how much faith do we have that we actually win another SB under him. Its a lot of risk (high risk and high reward though) to take for a shot for just 1 more year of Rodgers.

The problem in the NFC Championship game wasn't Rodgers.    The OL got crushed.

Rodgers was better than Brady in the game even while being under a lot more defensive pressure.

This narrative that the Packers problem in that game was Rodgers is silly.    

6 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

The problem in the NFC Championship game wasn't Rodgers.    The OL got crushed.

Rodgers was better than Brady in the game even while being under a lot more defensive pressure.

This narrative that the Packers problem in that game was Rodgers is silly.    

Problem was not Rodgers. But he was not the solution either. An elite QB (and an MVP) is expected to outplay defenses, are they not? And let us not pretend that this is the first time he has underperformed in the championship game.

Rodgers stunk in the NFC Championship game.  He left 3 TD's on the field, plays sitting there waiting to be made.  Put up a pretty QB rating but who won the game?  Throwing picks that end up to be nothing more than punts cost you rating but do not lose you football games.  Brady wins games.  Rodg has had many, many chances and has failed.  1-4 in NFC Championship games, 1-7 in playoff games when behind at half time.  He simply has not been a clutch player.  How many Super Bowls in the last 29 won by a QB named Rodgers or Favre?

Edited by 15412

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I actually read the PK article after making the above post - which mischaracterizes what King said.

It's wasnt that AR plays for another year then picks his team in 2022.

It's  ::  "So wouldn’t it make sense for Rodgers, after this season, to give the Packers four destinations in the AFC, and let Green Bay GM Brian Gutekunst make the best deal for the franchise?"

Still....I think this too contrived to actually work - but at least it gives the organization some leeway over destination.

I'm against players picking their destinations - and - consider it a really bad habit to get in to from a Green Bay perspective. If this were to become the norm, I suspect GB would lose more players than gain them.

My 2 cents.

I'd go further. After the 2021 season (playing for GB). "You can go to any team that gives us a competitive compensation..........Except in the NFC North".

1 hour ago, 15412 said:

Rodgers stunk in the NFC Championship game.  He left 3 TD's on the field, plays sitting there waiting to be made.  Put up a pretty QB rating but who won the game?  Throwing picks that end up to be nothing more than punts cost you rating but do not lose you football games.  Brady wins games.  Rodg has had many, many chances and has failed.  1-4 in NFC Championship games, 1-7 in playoff games when behind at half time.  He simply has not been a clutch player.  How many Super Bowls in the last 29 won by a QB named Rodgers or Favre?

88% were won by the team with a Top 10 defense

The last 3 Packer exits - the defense gave up 31, 37, 44

Rodgers and Favre account for 3 Super Bowls. All 3 of those teams had a Top 10 defense

Bart Starr had 2 SB wins. Both teams had a Top 10 defense

Care to guess how many Top 10 scoring defenses the Packers have had in the last 29 years in a Division that has been pretty horrible with horrible QB play to boot ?? And to take it even one step further, each of those 29 defenses had a very prolific offense and HOF QB's to help them out. 

Edited by cannondale

31 minutes ago, 15412 said:

What a ridiculous take.  In your world football isn't a team game.  Doesn't matter how the OL plays?   Doesn't matter what the defense does?   Its the QB's fault when the RB fumbles deep in opponent territory?

Brady has typically had far superior defenses than what Rodgers has been supported with.  He certainly did this past year.

The pressure that Rodgers was under in the NFC Championship game was the main issue.   You saw Mahomes fail similarly when the pressure was extreme.

Those blaming Rodgers either understand nothing about football, or have an agenda.   Or both.

• Like 1

You are wrong on every count, but let's examine the best two.

" Doesn't matter how the OL plays? "

As I said, 3 TD's sitting there waiting for the play to be made.

"You saw Mahomes fail similarly when the pressure was extreme."

Yes, Mahomes was missing multiple starters.  The difference is Mahomes was playing on one leg.  Different outcome had Mahomes been healthy.  As healthy as ol Rodg was..

Edited by 15412

45 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

What a ridiculous take.  In your world football isn't a team game.  Doesn't matter how the OL plays?   Doesn't matter what the defense does?   Its the QB's fault when the RB fumbles deep in opponent territory?

Brady has typically had far superior defenses than what Rodgers has been supported with.  He certainly did this past year.

The pressure that Rodgers was under in the NFC Championship game was the main issue.   You saw Mahomes fail similarly when the pressure was extreme.

Those blaming Rodgers either understand nothing about football, or have an agenda.   Or both.

Actually if you look at Green Bay's last 3 offensive plays (the ones inside the 10 yard line), he was part of the problem...not all of it...part of it.  A critical look at the first 2 plays shows he has a small window of opportunity to throw the ball for a touchdown, but on both plays he hesitates and misses the opportunity.  But even then, a touchdown plus a 2 point conversion only ties the game and Brady gets the ball again with about 2 minutes left to play so they still might lose in regulation.  So he was one of many, many reasons we lost.  This was a team loss, I would not put this solely on one individual.