Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

12 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Its unlikely Love goes 2-2 but if he does and shows anything then he deserves to keep the spot.

We could easily start 0-4 in which case, I would be inclined to write the season off. If Rodgers wants to come back then fine but I certainly wouldn't be caving in to any demands. 

I want Rodgers back as much as anyone (well as much as most people) but he is supposed to be a leader - if he holds out the start of the season, he's let his team down.  He can come back on his existing contract (minus fines, lost weeks and so on) but any negotiations should be over till the end of the season.

Good point, but if Love flopped as a starter and Rodgers came in you'd still have a decent shot at the third wild card spot. I'd still go for it, but your point still stands. Why cave in for a lost season?

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

lol we'd go 2-2, at least, with Love vs that opening schedule. The Saints are starting Hill/Winston, the Lions suck and the Steelers are turds. There's easily 2 wins there.

I hope you're right, but it's not like you can count on 2 easy wins when we've never even seen Jordan Love play.

21 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Its unlikely Love goes 2-2 but if he does and shows anything then he deserves to keep the spot.

We could easily start 0-4 in which case, I would be inclined to write the season off. If Rodgers wants to come back then fine but I certainly wouldn't be caving in to any demands. 

I want Rodgers back as much as anyone (well as much as most people) but he is supposed to be a leader - if he holds out the start of the season, he's let his team down.  He can come back on his existing contract (minus fines, lost weeks and so on) but any negotiations should be over till the end of the season.

I agree with you in principle but these guys have massive egos. They put themselves in front of everyone (for right or wrong) and I expect nothing different from Rodgers. He is not going to come back because he feels bad for his teammates. He will come back for his $$ and to try and make some kind of point to the world that he is still the best QB in the league.

It would really surprise me though if he comes back without a new contract because then all that will mean is that 'GB won' and I doubt that sits well with him.

The ace in Rodgers hand .. if no trade is granted, and GB demands he show up, he shows up eventually, gets to keep all his money, and throws 95% incompletions in practice, only hands the ball off to Jones, and eventually coach needs to sit him on the bench, and he kills his trade value. While getting a year of rest. 

13 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

The ace in Rodgers hand .. if no trade is granted, and GB demands he show up, he shows up eventually, gets to keep all his money, and throws 95% incompletions in practice, only hands the ball off to Jones, and eventually coach needs to sit him on the bench, and he kills his trade value. While getting a year of rest. 

If he shows up and is doing stuff like that they will merely send him home and await a trade. He'll won't kill his trade value that makes no sense at all then he goes to a bad team. He wants to not be on a lame duck year that's what he wants and has always wanted. He's under contract for 3 years the Pack hold all the cards. He'll either play nice, or demand a trade which he hasn't done yet. 

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

I didn't get the memo, is it Totally freak out about nothing Friday? Is there any sane thoughts to be shared today? 

2 hours ago, R T said:

I didn't get the memo, is it Totally freak out about nothing Friday? Is there any sane thoughts to be shared today? 

There have been sane thoughts RT, but I agree with you the one you highlited is laughable.

As I said earlier in another thread, ol Rodg would be a perverted childish fool if he did that.  To his credit, he would never do that to his mates or the fans he proclaims to love. His ego would never allow it on top of that. He has nothing but his whining.  He will show up and play or he will retire.  His only choices.  Now also as I said before the team has another choice, and that is to trade him.  Only on the teams terms which means a boatload of return.  If they don’t get that boatload, they will never trade him.

2 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

If he shows up and is doing stuff like that they will merely send him home and await a trade. He'll won't kill his trade value that makes no sense at all then he goes to a bad team. He wants to not be on a lame duck year that's what he wants and has always wanted. He's under contract for 3 years the Pack hold all the cards. He'll either play nice, or demand a trade which he hasn't done yet. 

Exactly GB will send him home with pay, under that scenario. But yes that still does reduce his trade value even further

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Exactly GB will send him home with pay, under that scenario. But yes that still does reduce his trade value even further

Rodgers isn't easy to work with but I don't take him for the kind of player who would mail it in at all. He cares about his public perception far too much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

lol no it doesn't. We don't have to trade him. We own his *** for the next 3 years. He literally has no leverage. It's either sit home, at 38, and rot, or show up and play for a team that can win it all. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

lol no it doesn't. We don't have to trade him. We own his *** for the next 3 years. He literally has no leverage. It's either sit home, at 38, and rot, or show up and play for a team that can win it all. 

GB says "Show up and play, we're not trading you"

AR shows up, takes a snap and takes a knee in practice, collects his money.

What does GB do?

They ask him to stay away from the team, while getting all his money (and keeping all his bonus money for season games)

(That's obviously the worse case for GB, but within possibililty)

5 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

(That's obviously the worse case for GB, but within possibililty)

No, it's absolutely not. It's a totally made-up scenario in your head that would never happen. He holds no leverage whatsoever. He's not on a lame duck deal considering he's under contract for 3 more years. 

His options are literally 1) show up and play or 2) sit home until your age 41 season if things can't come together the way we want it to, whether that be trade value that we want or a contract restructure/extension that Aaron wants. There is no other way this plays out in 2021.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

No, it's absolutely not. It's a totally made-up scenario in your head that would never happen. He holds no leverage whatsoever. He's not on a lame duck deal considering he's under contract for 3 more years. 

His options are literally 1) show up and play or 2) sit home until your age 41 season if things can't come together the way we want it to. There is no other way this plays out in 2021.

It's called "work to rule". It's done in negotiations to do the bare minimum and collect your pay check.