Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

Just now, R T said:

"One of the worse teams in football", sure. The team that had more Pro Bowl players than any team in football last season. The team that still has 7 players, as many as any other team, on CBS.com top 100 players for the 2021 season which didn't even include Amos who was the 2nd ranked S in all of football last season. The team that PFF ranks as the 4th best roster for 2021, yet they will be "one of the worse teams in football". Everyone has turned into a troll by the year 2021.    

He's full of ****

Just making the most out of a completely open ended off season issue. Contrived controversy sells.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Too bad.

You dont hold the entire organization hostage because of it. Not warranted or acceptable. As Nagler says: This is business. Not business friends.

AR "hold out/unofficial trade request" is just business to him. AR is not holding the entire organization hostage, GB has the ability to cut him if they wanted too.

A signed contract doesn't mean he can't ask for contract adjustments such as a) more guaranteed b) NTC c) opt-out after 2021 season

GB can say: a) yes b) no & no trade (AR plays poor, reduced trade value) c) no & no trade (AR rides the bench) d) no & trade 'now' (lower trade comp then 2 months ago) e) no & trade midseason (even lower trade comp whether AR starts (play poor) or doesn't start) f) no & hope AR balls out in 2021 enabling positive trade before 2022 draft. 

Not great options (other than the last), but that where its at, assuming AR is not going to retire and not is not sacrificing his bonus money. 

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

AR "hold out/unofficial trade request" is just business to him. AR is not holding the entire organization hostage, GB has the ability to cut him if they wanted too.

Ohhhhh....give it a break. I'm not even reading the rest.

Cut him. Sure. Geeeeez

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Ohhhhh....give it a break. I'm not even reading the rest.

Cut him. Sure. Geeeeez

That's fine. No need to spew that AR is holding the team hostage, when he is clearly not. GB always has the option to remove the problem if and when they see fit. Its easier to argue that GB might be holding him hostage, depending how the "undisclosed conversations" transpired. 

9 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Is it really unfair though? When we signed Aaron Jones to a backloaded deal purposefully designed to give us the ability to cut him after 2 years, does that mean GB should have to honor all 4 years if Jones plays well when his cap hit goes way up? Of course not. It's a 2 way street. 

You understand that this is not at all an apt comparison?

The league and the players have sat down together and negotiated acceptable contract structures in the form of the CBA. The players signed off on the kind of contract given to Aaron Jones. They've given the teams permission to do that. It's not a violation of the terms of an agreed upon contract.

Aaron Rodgers is in violation of two agreed upon contacts, the CBA and his deal. 

that's just the truth of the matter. You can say that the CBA is a bad deal for players because of the non guaranteed contracts, but they signed the damn thing. We don't just ignore it because we don't like it. 

8 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

It would behoove Rodgers to squelch the "Gute said he would trade me after last season" rumor....What professional with an agent gets involved in an unsigned agreement?....Even if false, it makes Rodgers look naive when it comes to the way things of such magnitude would normally be handled....Further add, how long would the Packer's FO retain Gutekunst if they thought Rodgers had something as damning as such, to which he could than hold over the Packer's organization?....

While I don't disagree that it makes him look bad, Rodgers is running a political tactic. He's creating a large number of baseless rumors, the media covers the rumors, and the average idiot watching ESPN fails to appreciate that an unfounded rumor is just that. Or they assume, "Man, there's a lot of smoke around this Gutekunst guy. Probably shady." He's attacking the organization through the press without doing so directly. 

8 hours ago, Isherwood said:

That makes it sound like the rest of our roster is in the hamper, which I don't think is true at all. I do think we might end up having a tanking of a season if AR12 holds out, on a morale basis. I think it'd be tough to be successful with the cloud hanging of the season, especially when we were essentially loaded up to run it all back. 

The national media and even our own fans have been tearing down our players to prop up Rodgers for years. Got to stir controversy somehow. 

7 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

That's fine. No need to spew that AR is holding the team hostage, when he is clearly not. GB always has the option to remove the problem if and when they see fit. Its easier to argue that GB might be holding him hostage, depending how the "undisclosed conversations" transpired. 

Rodgers: Pay me more money or I'm not going to honor my agreed upon signed contract.

Team: No

Rodgers (hypothetically): Then I'm going to sit out this year.

. . . 

You wouldn't describe the above exchange as holding the team hostage?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You understand that this is not at all an apt comparison?

The league and the players have sat down together and negotiated acceptable contract structures in the form of the CBA. The players signed off on the kind of contract given to Aaron Jones. They've given the teams permission to do that. It's not a violation of the terms of an agreed upon contract.

Aaron Rodgers is in violation of two agreed upon contacts, the CBA and his deal. 

that's just the truth of the matter. You can say that the CBA is a bad deal for players because of the non guaranteed contracts, but they signed the damn thing. We don't just ignore it because we don't like it. 

From a legal standpoint yes, the team has rights the player does not. My post was more about the reality of the idea that a player (or team) has to live or die by the terms of the contract is a fallacy. While a player can't simply cut himself like a team can before the contract expires, he has mechanisms to leverage new terms rather than just abiding by the original deal...especially if you're a top 5 player on the team. This is precisely what 12 is doing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

From a legal standpoint yes, the team has rights the player does not. My post was more about the reality of the idea that a player (or team) has to live or die by the terms of the contract is a fallacy. While a player can't simply cut himself like a team can before the contract expires, he has mechanisms to leverage new terms rather than just abiding by the original deal...especially if you're a top 5 player on the team. This is precisely what 12 is doing. 

Sure, but that has nothing to do with fairness or the Aaron Jones contract. That's just leverage. 

36 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Rodgers: Pay me more money or I'm not going to honor my agreed upon signed contract.

Team: No

Rodgers (hypothetically): Then I'm going to sit out this year.

. . . 

You wouldn't describe the above exchange as holding the team hostage?

No i wouldn't. 

If the team does not agree "to pay more/contract term adjustments" they have the option to remove AR.

A player is always able to ask for more, if they think they have the leverage/right to do so. Danielle Hunter is doing it right now to MIN tho less media attention.  It's just business. 

Edited by CriminalMind

11 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

No i wouldn't. 

If the team does not agree "to pay more/contract term adjustments" they have the option to remove AR.

A player is always able to ask for more, if they think they have the leverage/right to do so. Danielle Hunter is doing it right now to MIN tho less media attention.  It's just business. 

"If the player doesn't do what they contractually agreed to, it's fine because the team has the option of terminating the contract."

That's the argument you're making?

29 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

No i wouldn't. 

As the saying goes, 'if everybody were jumping off a bridge to their death would you do it too?' Point being, neither team is under any obligation to do anything with either players contract. 

The most disingenuous thing he's spoken about is referencing the team not doing enough to win now. If that were his TOP concern he wouldn't be signing the most lucrative deal when time comes up. You can't have it both ways. Brady playing for 20 million less a year than the other top QB's gave NE a competitive advantage. 

Let's not kid ourselves here, what Aaron really wants is for Green Bay to turn his remaining salary into guaranteed money, giving him long-term security. Which means he's become pretty insecure about his long-term future in GB. Win another MVP, you'll be the QB in 2022. Play like you did in 17-18-19 and it will be Jordan Love's team. Pretty simple! 

It's a performance based business. Like most of the world tbh. 

Edited by Old Guy