Packers QB Aaron Rodgers disgruntled; "Does not want to return to team"

RaidersAreOne

Just now, incognito_man said:

really? the "same" team?

... Leonard Fournette? Antonio Brown? Gronk a year removed from retirement? 

Is "very similar" acceptable to you?

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

Tampa's defense won the NFCCG....not Brady.
That - and some really poorly timed / lousy execution by the GB D.

I mean, the flawless first half (+1st drive of second half) where the offense put up 28 points did help. It’s not like they won 9-3.

Plus there were 16 other games, including quite a big one 2 weeks later.

• Like 2

OK, I'm caught up. I think a lot of the discussion here comes down to hindsight being 20/20.

- Rodgers was not an elite QB in 2019, and at times he looked washed. He was outside the top 10 in all of the standard and advanced passing stats (passer rating, ANY/A, QBR, DVOA, EPA/play), and the eye test confirmed it. GB using a pick to replace him down the line was reasonable, and basically in line with what they did in 2005, and what other good franchises have done in preparation for the future, ie. Patriots in 2014. Honestly I thought that Rodgers might never return to elite form based on 2019 - I was wrong. He looked as good as he ever has. None of us know for sure, but GB drafting Love certainly seemed to light a fire under Rodgers.

- The idea of going all-in for an older QB, especially one like Rodgers who seemed to be showing decline, is anything but a sure bet, and definitely not one that is universally seen as a good bet in the moment. There were plenty of experts and fans who thought that Denver signing Manning and Tampa Bay signing Brady were mistakes. I also think the idea that GB has not surrounded Rodgers with talent is a bit silly, but their defense under Rodgers has usually left much to desire, so that's a legit complaint.

- Finally, Rodgers is a bit of a drama queen, isn't he? Personally I don't think GB has any intention of blinking first. I wonder if Rodgers is so staunch in his position right now that he will sit out if he doesn't get traded.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

OK, I'm caught up. I think a lot of the discussion here comes down to hindsight being 20/20.

- Rodgers was not an elite QB in 2019, and at times he looked washed. He was outside the top 10 in all of the standard and advanced passing stats (passer rating, ANY/A, QBR, DVOA, EPA/play), and the eye test confirmed it. GB using a pick to replace him down the line was reasonable, and basically in line with what they did in 2005, and what other good franchises have done in preparation for the future, ie. Patriots in 2014. Honestly I thought that Rodgers might never return to elite form based on 2019 - I was wrong. He looked as good as he ever has. None of us know for sure, but GB drafting Love certainly seemed to light a fire under Rodgers.

- The idea of going all-in for an older QB, especially one like Rodgers who seemed to be showing decline, is anything but a sure bet, and definitely not one that is universally seen as a good bet in the moment. There were plenty of experts and fans who thought that Denver signing Manning and Tampa Bay signing Brady were mistakes. I also think the idea that GB has not surrounded Rodgers with talent is a bit silly, but their defense under Rodgers has usually left much to desire, so that's a legit complaint.

- Finally, Rodgers is a bit of a drama queen, isn't he? Personally I don't think GB has any intention of blinking first. I wonder if Rodgers is so staunch in his position right now that he will sit out if he doesn't get traded.

nailed everything except for hindsight.

it's 50/50

either it happened or it didn't

An interesting take.....

Peter Bukowski -  The Packers have more playoff wins since 2015 than the Saints do since 2009. They've gone to more NFC Championship Games the last two seasons than the Saints since have since they won the Super Bowl. But yeah, Green Bay should copy them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Sorry I shouldn't have put a number on it. It's common sense you're success rate is going to be significantly higher when a thought out plan is executed. That's not a stretch to say. 

Yea, every single nfl team has a thought out plan with contingencies going into the draft. To think otherwise is kinda foolish. To assert (apparently) GB is better drafting than other teams with absolutely no statistical evidence behind it is just a different level of something. Heck, look at their first rounders between 2010-2019, maybe they hit at 50%? And the second rd ain’t better. So why isn’t their success rate higher?

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

ooo Davante is weighing in now too! Package him with Rodgers to Denver in an absolute blockbuster:

GB gets: Patrick Surtain, Jerry Jeudy, DreMont Jones, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd, 2023 1st

Den gets: Aaron Rodgers, Davante Adams

we'll even add Kevin King

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

ooo Davante is weighing in now too! Package him with Rodgers to Denver in an absolute blockbuster:

GB gets: Patrick Surtain, Jerry Jeudy, DreMont Jones, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd, 2023 1st

Den gets: Aaron Rodgers, Davante Adams

I’d love this trade, gb goes to a below average team, possibly well below average, and thus less competition in the NFC

• Like 1