🏈 Pick #17 is in: OL, Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I was actually pro-Miller when he was picked. I think Miller presented far superior upside to Leatherwood even if his "film" wasn't good either. In fact, Samuel Cosmi, who was arguably the Miller-type prospect in this draft, would have been a far better pick in my eyes than Leatherwood.

I think fans are justified in being concerned about the pick because this staff hasn't shown a good track record of going off the beaten path in the draft.

This happens every time the Raiders "reach" for a player. We don't have to bow down and be patient. We have seen him play and most people weren't impressed. This staff does not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

100 percent justified. but everyone always expecting dudes to be stars year one. or labeling them busts year one after covid killed mini camps. 

I didn't like the pick, it was a reach. Mayock says offer to trade down was meh. but capital and still landing ur guy looks better than 17 and taking a guy who prob goes 28-50

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You act like trading up/down is impossible. Other teams consistently move up and down the board to get their guys. There's reports there's major friction in the building after that pick and guys are getting fired, lol.

Not impossible but much more difficult than we perceive. If that report is true then lets see the action. Seems like major click bait to me and doesn't make much sense. But if people want to believe that be my guest. 

6 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Not impossible but much more difficult than we perceive. If that report is true then lets see the action. Seems like major click bait to me and doesn't make much sense. But if people want to believe that be my guest. 

Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst, are they gonna drop the bomb or not...

5 hours ago, Dessie said:

Have to wonder if what Cable has done with Miller and Bradley being new to the franchise meant that Mayock&Gruden went with the safer pick. 

What has Cable done with Brandon Parker?

And we know the raiders panic picked Miller because McGlinchey was taken. 

Cable was something of a laughingstock even as we brought him back. One prospect developing well doesn’t really mean he’s suddenly the miracle worker. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roi34 said:

100 percent justified. but everyone always expecting dudes to be stars year one. or labeling them busts year one after covid killed mini camps. 

I didn't like the pick, it was a reach. Mayock says offer to trade down was meh. but capital and still landing ur guy looks better than 17 and taking a guy who prob goes 28-50

Id rather take a meh trade offer where we could easily take Leatherwood 8 picks later than just taking Leatherwood at 17

I don't have any issue with Alex Leatherwood, I have issue with our decision makers not getting value trading into the 20s to select him and getting a 3rd this year or at least a 3rd next year. There's no way they couldn't have gotten something like that back. The failure to gain value while they build this team is getting ridiculous.

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I overreacted somewhat. Leatherwoods athletic profile, arm length, pedigree, positional versatility, and leadership all seem like pluses. 

His athleticism is no where close to what you’re making it... don’t care about numbers. Watch some tape, there are many things he can’t do because of athleticism and has nothing to do with coaching. He’s a Below Average, maybe Average RT, or a pretty solid Guard. I do love his character... but that’s it. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I see some of you are in spin mode trying to justify this this morning.... 

I hate the “Justification Period”. This happens commonly in romantic relationship and also team/fan relationships if you’re a pretty hardcore fan. I knew it was going to happen. 

There is no justifying this pick. It’s an even bigger reach than Arnette. More than a full round value rise (most sites had him 60th). In my Final Mock, I had him 45th to the Jags. Could of easily traded up a few spots and nabbed him. 

Open your eyes Raider Fans. Jon, Mike, and Carr will be gone in 3 years with absolutely nothing to show for it. At least Carr loves the team. Jon and Mike are here for a paycheck and anyone thinks otherwise is a total moron. 

Let’s hope for our guy Jevon Holland today, but they’d probably pass him up for a 5th Round Talent. 

20 minutes ago, Geezy said:

ive not seen one poster call Leatherwood a bad player,

He gave up 5 sacks last year, is not as athletic as some are making him, gives up the EDGE like candy, and not as good as a run blocker as some make him to be. He doesn’t move people in the run game and never has. Finesse run blocker, and below-average Pass Protector. This is why most sites have him projected purely as a Guard. He can play RT, and be better than Parker (anyone would) but he would be an average RT at best, and likely Below-Average. 

Tua made Leatherwood look WAYYYY better than he was in 2019 with his Grade A Mobility. 

Leatherwood was trash in 2020. Trash. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 minute ago, Geezy said:

so he wouldnt report because he doesnt want to play RT?

The reason he wants to play LT is because he's due for an extension and wants LT money. But as we just showed last year by paying Trent Brown $21.5M (2x as much as the 2nd highest paid RT) we will pay a good RT, LT money. 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Exactly. Not to mention KC will either be forced to tag him at a super high rate or shell out a crap ton of money on him next off season.

Just now, NYRaider said:

The reason he wants to play LT is because he's due for an extension and wants LT money. But as we just showed last year by paying Trent Brown $21.5M (2x as much as the 2nd highest paid RT) we will pay a good RT, LT money. 

1 minute ago, Geezy said:

so he wouldnt report because he doesnt want to play RT?

And wants a top OT contract? No thank you. People hate the value of taking a RT at 17 but would rather trade 17 and give up a mega contract? Nope. 

I love the “he’s not a good athlete” and disregard for testing numbers as it doesn’t fit your narrative. He is an elite athlete based off the numbers, you cannot deny that even if you want to. Can he transfer that to the field on a consistent basis against elite competition? Time will tell. But the tools are there whether you want to “believe” it or not doesn’t matter.