2021 Draft Thread - Day #2 Talk

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

And we knew this coming in! It was a crazy year. People said left and right we’d see “reaches” and “drops” due to lack of info and face to face time. People fall in love with DJ or Kipers big board and that becomes gospel. It’s worse when (guilty of it too) we all build our rankings off of there’s. It’s an echo chamber. 

The thing is surprise me with it they picked Leatherwood over Darrisaw. So then I looked on the nfl network scouting report and this is what I found on what scouts thought of Darrisaw overall:

Athletically gifted left tackle prospect with the natural talent to be as good as he wants to be. Darrisaw plays with plus body control. He has the initial quickness and smooth agility to get to any and all blocks in the run game. The tape shows a player who's able to make jaw-dropping cutoffs on the backside but who gives half-hearted effort securing down blocks and squeezing down to help protect the B-gap. He's flexible and loose in pass pro, with the foot quickness and hand strength to punch and close up shop on would-be edge rushers. His mirror can get a little lazy at times, and he will definitely need to do a better job of finishing his blocks. The low-burn field demeanor leads to inconsistencies in play, but the athletic traits and talent as a true left tackle should create first-round demand as a higher-ceiling, lower-floor prospect.

i’m pretty sure this had to do with why we passed on Darrisaw.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I never wanted either of those players as they both are not good value.  The Safety value in the 2nd and 3rd is good every year and S is a non impact position.  That being said I would love to see us take one today.  Holland and Cisco are potential targets I would like. 

I want either Grant Cisco or possibly Johnson if those 2 are gone

• Like 1

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

The thing is surprise me with it they picked Leatherwood over Darrisaw. So then I looked on the nfl network scouting report and this is what I found on what scouts thought of Darrisaw overall:

Athletically gifted left tackle prospect with the natural talent to be as good as he wants to be. Darrisaw plays with plus body control. He has the initial quickness and smooth agility to get to any and all blocks in the run game. The tape shows a player who's able to make jaw-dropping cutoffs on the backside but who gives half-hearted effort securing down blocks and squeezing down to help protect the B-gap. He's flexible and loose in pass pro, with the foot quickness and hand strength to punch and close up shop on would-be edge rushers. His mirror can get a little lazy at times, and he will definitely need to do a better job of finishing his blocks. The low-burn field demeanor leads to inconsistencies in play, but the athletic traits and talent as a true left tackle should create first-round demand as a higher-ceiling, lower-floor prospect.

i’m pretty sure this had to do with why we passed on Darrisaw.

Exactly. But he was the consensus higher prospect so we automatically assume he’s the better pick. 99% don’t know jack shoot about actually scouting football let alone OFFENSIVE LINE. I trust Cable. Let’s see what the kid can do. Offense should be set. Let’s get some bodies on defense. 

Someone said his ceiling is Russell Okung...you serious? Sign me up ALL DAY for that. 

• Like 1

Exactly. But he was the consensus higher prospect so we automatically assume he’s the better pick. 99% don’t know jack shoot about actually scouting football let alone OFFENSIVE LINE. I trust Cable. Let’s see what the kid can do. Offense should be set. Let’s get some bodies on defense. 

Someone said his ceiling is Russell Okung...you serious? Sign me up ALL DAY for that. 

My thing is I don’t even think they could’ve taken them if they wanted to after the way the Trent Brown situation turned out

Edited by Jeremy408

7 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I never wanted either of those players as they both are not good value.  The Safety value in the 2nd and 3rd is good every year and S is a non impact position.  That being said I would love to see us take one today.  Holland and Cisco are potential targets I would like. 

I agree. It was just interesting that those two players were near top of the list for most people on this forum but neither have them went in the first round and we were pounding the table at 17 for them. So obviously not in tune with actual value to the NFL teams. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I agree. It was just interesting that those two players were near top of the list for most people on this forum but neither have them went in the first round and we were pounding the table at 17 for them. So obviously not in tune with actual value to the NFL teams. 

I have 5 players left on the top 32 media list. JOK, Ojulari, Moehrig, Jenkins, Barmore. 4 of the 5 were pretty high on most "boards" in this forum. Shows how much we know.

• Like 1

I will say this that all 3 picks today better be D, unless T. Marshall slips to 48, I would look hard at him there.  Other than that we need to walk away with 3 impact D players for us to stand a chance this season.  3T, Edge, CB, S, LB.... whatever just give me 3 impact starting players and 1 of the 3 being elite. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I have 5 players left on the top 32 media list. JOK, Ojulari, Moehrig, Jenkins, Barmore. 4 of the 5 were pretty high on most "boards" in this forum. Shows how much we know.

This. We come up with our BB's and them compare them to the same 10-15 big boards who IMO reek of group think and confirmation bias. "Scouting" is an interesting lane as anyone can call theme selves as a scout and create a following, therefore creating/pushing narratives. All while the only big boards that actually matter (the 32 teams) we never even see! But every year we think we know what that board looks like because we saw Kiper/DJ's board. I'm guilty of it too. And ill do it again next year. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I agree with this 100%. After Sewell and Slater, the OT class had a similar feel. All a matter of who you like.

My issue is value and prioritizing offense over a defense that was historically putrid. If they maneuver and pick JOK, it's a B+ from me on day 1 and 2.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I will say this that all 3 picks today better be D, unless T. Marshall slips to 48, I would look hard at him there.  Other than that we need to walk away with 3 impact D players for us to stand a chance this season.  3T, Edge, CB, S, LB.... whatever just give me 3 impact starting players and 1 of the 3 being elite. 

What's your definition of impact? JOK is the only true impact day 1 player out there. The rest are developmental or JAGs in your starting lineup. 

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I agree with this 100%. After Sewell and Slater, the OT class had a similar feel. All a matter of who you like.

My issue is value and prioritizing offense over a defense that was historically putrid. If they maneuver and pick JOK, it's a B+ from me on day 1 and 2.

This baseless faith in Cable is incredible, he got ran out of town in Seattle for destroying their OL. Yes, Kolton Miller has improved under him, but who else has? Parker has been a complete bust and guys like Incognito, Hudson, Brown, and Jackson were all either here before he got here or proven high quality players already.