Round 2: Pick 62; Josh Myers, C Ohio State

Dude is very big, great looking legs and he's quicker than I thought getting out of his stance.  Throw in some intelligence and I think we have our center.

Now we can talk about whether or not Jenkins plays left tackle instead of center.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Dude is very big, great looking legs and he's quicker than I thought getting out of his stance.  Throw in some intelligence and I think we have our center.

Now we can talk about whether or not Jenkins plays left tackle instead of center.

Absent Bakh being ready Week 1, I cannot see a scenario where Jenkins isn't starting at OT.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Lodestar said:

FWIW

That's the one I envisioned.  Patrick has earned that spot even if his younger, cheaper, higher potential replacement is being groomed.  Runyan making a leap this year would be huge and I believe he's up to the challenge.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Refugee said:

That's the one I envisioned.  Patrick has earned that spot even if his younger, cheaper, higher potential replacement is being groomed.  Runyan making a leap this year would be huge and I believe he's up to the challenge.

Co-signed. Once Bakh returns, I can't see a situation where Patrick is still starting. I'm willing to bet Runyan gets moved back to RG. 

46 minutes ago, Joe said:

Co-signed. Once Bakh returns, I can't see a situation where Patrick is still starting. I'm willing to bet Runyan gets moved back to RG. 

I suspect that Wagner is still in our minds unless a young guy really shines.

Ideal OL would be: Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, Turner, Wagner IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

I suspect that Wagner is still in our minds unless a young guy really shines.

Ideal OL would be: Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, Turner, Wagner IMO.

I think Turner is a not great but solid tackle.  He's tough enough to play guard and has shown his versatility but he's got good enough feet to be on the outside.  I believe we saw enough from Wagner and have already cut him.  We would bring hi back only in an emergency.  Jenkins proving he can hold down LT will be interesting.  depending on 69, he might not  have to in live games.

33 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I think Turner is a not great but solid tackle.  He's tough enough to play guard and has shown his versatility but he's got good enough feet to be on the outside.  I believe we saw enough from Wagner and have already cut him.  We would bring hi back only in an emergency.  Jenkins proving he can hold down LT will be interesting.  depending on 69, he might not  have to in live games.

Wagner played extremely well. He was a shocking cut unless we felt confident we could bring him back for less.

Edited by incognito_man

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Wagner played extremely well. He was a shocking cut unless we felt confident we could bring him back for less.

Playing well and being confident we could bring him in for less would seem to contradict themselves.  I was also surprised and in a different cap year who knows but they seem to have made their decision.  We'll see what they think of what they have in house, lot of young guys and some already a bit seasoned like Nijman.  But you can see all of the times and positions they played Turner last year to know they like him on the line.

Getting back to Myers, I have only seen highlights and interviews but he seems like a guy ready to be thrown into the fire.  Of course he has to develop more like any rookie but if the rest of the line can find stability, I hope he can grow very quickly into our starting center.

• 5 weeks later...

This was not the sexy 2nd round pick but Myers has been getting every chance to start during OTAs and seems to be seizing the opportunity. I’ll wait for some preseason but he seems to have size, quickness and smarts, the latter being important in a good center. Hopefully we have our man and he can step into a loud, hostile environment and never look back just like Linsley.

23 hours ago, Refugee said:

This was not the sexy 2nd round pick but Myers has been getting every chance to start during OTAs and seems to be seizing the opportunity. I’ll wait for some preseason but he seems to have size, quickness and smarts, the latter being important in a good center. Hopefully we have our man and he can step into a loud, hostile environment and never look back just like Linsley.

I wonder if we had Myers in our sights when we passed on Linsley. It kinda feels that way to me.

• Like 1