Round 2: Pick 62; Josh Myers, C Ohio State

Hope he's good, and can win the starting job and play well right out of the box.  

I think the assumption that Runyan will start, and Patrick will not, is presumptuous.  Obviously if Jenkins needs to play some tackle if Bakhti misses some game, both Runyan and Patrick can start.  But it wouldn't surprise me at all, *if* Bakhti is back, to be going right back to the Jenkins-center-Patrick interior that MLF used last year, with Runyan on bench.  

Either way, adding one extra guy for the OL seems really helpful.  That's *IF* he's actually good.  If he's slow, or stiff, different story.  

• Like 1

From McGinn's stuff:  https://theathletic.com/2534325/2021/04/28/ranking-top-offensive-linemen-in-2021-nfl-draft-bob-mcginns-grades-are-in/

He will be a starter,” one scout said. “The center position is smart, tough, reliable, and he’s all of those things. He’s a solid player across the board. No flash to him, but he’ll be a reliable player.

Underwent turf toe surgery in January.

“He gets knocked back every once in a while, but all in all, he’s a good prospect,” said another scout. “Loves the game of football. Good with his snaps. He’s got size. He’s a technician. He knows how to turn guys.”

Has short arms (32 inches).

Very limited,” a third scout said. “Slow. Not flexible at all. Top heavy. Limited-type backup.

Hope the third scouts is wrong and the first two are closer to the truth!

Reports suggest that he's really smart and good at recognizing blitz and stuff, and making line calls.  That seemed to be something they expect a lot from the C.  So having a smart diagnostic guy, I bet that factored significantly into their valuation.  

3 minutes ago, James Lofton said:

So we start the season with:

Turner — Lucas Patrick — Myers — Runyan —  Jenkins?

If Bakhti is out, I'd flip Patrick and Runyan? 

Turner — Runyan — Myers — Lucas Patrick— Jenkins?

Or maybe they'd just park Turner at RT and have Jenkins fill at LT? 

Then when Bakhti returns, 

Bakhti — Jenkins — Myers — Lucas Patrick— Turner?

May be that if you're introducing a new rookie center, that you'll want to do less flipping around of guys beside him.  So even if Bakhti does miss some games, it wouldn't surprise me if they just lined up — Jenkins — Myers — Lucas Patrick— inside regardless. and used either Nijman or Runyan at tackle to fill for Bakhti.  

• Like 1

Not sure why people think Runyan as going to just kick Patrick out of his chair. Because Runyan was a draft choice and Patrick was a UDFA? Patrick was a better player last season, I don't think I would just assume Patrick will not be the starting RG on opening day. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, R T said:

Not sure why people think Runyan as going to just kick Patrick out of his chair. Because Runyan was a draft choice and Patrick was a UDFA? Patrick was a better player last season, I don't think I would just assume Patrick will not be the starting RG on opening day. 

Should be a good competition on the interior with a lot of depth. Don't forget about Stepaniak either. Dude was an absolute mauler in college who we got late on Day 3 because of his ACL. He's healthy now and will also be in the mix.

Gute is clearer looking to get bigger and meaner in the run game with these IOL picks the last 2 years.

^^^^ this

line could very well end up looking like this and be very imposing:

Bakh------Stepaniak-------Myers------Runyan------Jenkins

In my opinion, that lineup has the highest upside of anything with Turner or Patrick in it.  

It just hit me that the Packers actually invested a second round pick on a centre! It just isn't a very Packer-like thing to do!

Yes we did the same with Jenkins but we immediately projected him as a guard. Myers however is likely projected to play centre. That's pretty significant. We always filled centre with late round players.

We actually rate him higher than we rated Linsley and Tretter. That's a pretty big deal.

This year however circumstances forced our hand. Unusually all the OT and Guards flew off the board early on in the draft, it meant grabbing the best centre while we could. Better to do this than grab the 10th best Tackle or the 5th best guard. We took the 2nd best centre instead.